A few neoscene problems (7D & t2i), xp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 25th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Major Player

A few neoscene problems (7D & t2i), xp

Hi guys, I'm just posting this quickly while I try to get my head around the problem(s) Im having with converting my 7d & t2i files with cineform.

I thought i'd pre-mt it by posting this.

I shoot weddings with canon 7d and 550d (t2i)

I've been getting some errors / issues with some of the t2i files.

The first thing that strikes as strange, is that a 12 min / 4gb clip from the 7d will convert to a cineform file that is 5-6gb

A 12 min clip from the t2i will convert to a cineform file that is 9-10gb?

Is this normal?

The t2i clips are usually with a wide andgle lens, and the 7d are a usually close ups, so I thought that might account for the differecne in file sizes, in that thare is 'more happening' in the wide angle t2i clip than there is in the clouse up 7d clip.

Now, the problems that I seem to be getting.

When I get in from a shoot, I dump all the memory cards (both 7d and t2i) onto an external drive, then I convert those files from the external drive to an internal drive for editing. (so native files on external, the use cineform to convert , desitanation drive being internal)

I just batch convert them all, average wedding about 60gb of 7d, and 30gb of t2i, there isnt an option to set different destination folders, so all the files go to the same foler (didn;t think that would be an issue, as the file numbers from 7d & t2i are very far apart, so no chance of an overwrite if you know what I mean).

All the 7d files seem to convert fine.

But, on average, 2 or 3 t2i files have a problem, but not alway the same one.

t2i problem example #1:
The file just stops converting, at some point, ie 36instead of a 12 min / 9gb(ish) cineform file, I end up with a 4 min file (thats about 3gb - not sure on specifc of size but you get my meaning. There is no error on the log, it just stops, and the UI of neoscene allows me to press start again, but nothing happens.

t2i problem example #2
I get an error on the log (is there a way to save the log so I can show you? or will i just do a screen grab - can anyone recomend a screen grab prog? never used one)

Somethign about file format, user SID not allowed, its not in front of me at the moment (right now i'm trying another batch convert of only the t2i files, in case its an issue with converting 7d files and t2i files at the samne time.

This seems to happen randomly with t2i, on different memory cards. The native .mov files play fine, in both error examples.

Im on 5.01 build 257 (is that up to date? if not will it cost me to update?)
Windows XP, wuad core, 4 gig ram

I realise that i've probably described this in a terrible way (I'm at the end of a VERY long few day and a half of working),

But if anyone can help out that'd be great.

I'm really loving shooting with the dslrs, I've already jumped through alot of hoops to get my workflow to where i like i can deal (sound, 12 min limit etc...)

Editing with the cineform files is a breeze (but if I'm gonna get files failin on every shoot, I may have to re think things (I'm kinda missing how simple hdv was :( )

Thanks in advance for any help / advice, this form really is a great thing.

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Major Player

One of the same errors happened again, I took a screen grab (just using the 'prtscr' button + paint)
Attached Thumbnails
A few neoscene problems (7D & t2i), xp-cineofmr-error-t2i-.jpg  
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

and again, (see attach screen grab)

These 2 files were right next to each other, is it more of an issue with the t2i and or the card (ie the files itself) rather than neoscene?
Attached Thumbnails
A few neoscene problems (7D & t2i), xp-cineofmr-error-t2i-2.jpg  
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase