NeoScene CS5 and choppy HDV - HDlink scaling also missing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 7th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NeoScene CS5 and choppy HDV - HDlink scaling also missing?

Just been testing NeoScene trial on CS5 with PAL HDV footage in a cineform timeline.

I find the playback stuttery at times (didn't experience this prior to Cineform with same footage). Any ideas why? Had a much more responsive system using the native files in default CS5 timelines.

Also, I saw NeoScene supported 1920X1080 but HDLink has no option to scale my HDV material in this format when importing. Does this also mean I am unable to convert between resolutions using HDlink at the end of my project? Say from a master HD CFAVI to SD.

With these 2 issues - I'm not seeing the benefit of cineform over native CS5.
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As you are on NeoScene you doen't get the full HDLink, so not scaling or other advanced featues. The reason to use NeoScene is for AVCHD camera, H.264 DSLRs, or any HDV/AVCHD camera that shoots 24p with 60i pulldown -- it all these case NeoScene alone will enhance the workflow and editability of the footage. HDV users shooting interlaced, or 25p/30p only really benefit with older computer hardware, where the speed advantages of the CineForm wavelet show much better. The best reasons to use CineForm for HDV on newer hardware is to get into FirstLight which comes in NeoHD.
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

David, so no scaling with HDLink then. So..

1) What is best way to mix HDV and 5DMK2 footage in one timeline? Do you add the HDV to the DSLR cineform timeline or vise versa?

2) If I work on a 1440 HDV timeline - when I create a CF AVI master and change the resolution at that point to 1920 x1080 would that be fine as a work around to HDLINK scaling during ingest?
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

HDLink has scaling, you are using NeoScene which has no scaling (so others aren't confused.)

You can play 1440x1080 clips on a 1920x1080 timeline, any preset, that's what I would do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase