CS5.5 Compatable?? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: CS5.5 Compatable??

Jay,

Thanks for the update. What do I lose by this workaround? Anything important?
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #47
Major Player

After turning off this option --- which I might add, is something I had never even heard of --- I did a bit of research to try to find out what it is. I'm still mystified by it but, from what I can figure out, this option does not seem to be important in my workflow.

Near as I can tell, "Write XMP ID To Files On Import" seems to allow PPro to add a bit of indetifying XMP metadata to the source file -- kind of like an identity bracelet. In theory, this helps XMP-aware applications keep track of files and avoid redundant operations such as conforming audio if you change the file name, Seems like it would be most useful if you are somebody who changes filenames midstream in a project. Perhaps your imported files have a numerical name like 2011062503443.mts because that is how it comes in from your DSLR or AVCHD cam. Because this makes it hard to tell one file from another, maybe you decide to rename the file as, say, "camera2clip15.mts." In theory (as far as I grasp it), the XMP identity bracelet could let PPro know that this is the same file despite the name change, and that PPro therefore does not have to reconcofrm the audio or make you go through replacing clips alread in a timeline that you edited when the file had its previous name.

Unfortunately, these good intentions sometimes go awry on some systems and result in PPro CS 5.5 not only failing to recognize the metadata id/bracelet but trying to constantly to create or recreate it. I gather this is a known bug that only affects some systems. Like mine.

So, my take is that unchecking this option does not seem likely to adversely affect my workflow.

Maybe somebody else has a better understanding of this?
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #48
Trustee

Sorry for forgetting to reply to this thread--for me, the nesting issue was a dealbreaker, as a project I was in the middle of finishing used a handful of them. In addition, however, I found a very noticeable decrease in performance with CS5.5 and the newer Cineform Neo vs. CS5 and the older Neo4K. Playback was noticeably choppier with frames utilizing 2 or more video streams at the same time. So I switched back.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #49
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The latest beta fixes much of this. Try it if you are not in the middle of a project.
Old June 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #50
Trustee

Just installed the latest version, and I'm still experiencing a marked slowdown in performance.
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #51
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Did you uninstall first? If you did, you should not be seeing a performance hit, and should contact support for help.
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #52
Major Player

I'm seeing some performance issues with CS5.5 but, in my case, they do not seem to be caused by Cineform.

I'm seeing a puzzling mix of some things seemingly running faster than before while others -- particularly timeline playback in multi-cam edits --- exhibit unrpredictable hiccups and pauses even with timeline playback of MPE-enabled transitions. The annoying thing is that sometimes there are pauses and halts and sometimes MPE transitions hiccup and judder as they play, and sometimes these problems disappear.

I note that I installed the latest Neo beta (build 327, I think.) That certainly fixed the problem of audio reconforming but did not fix the intermittent glitches and halts with timeline playback from multi-cam timelines.

The reason I think this is not a Cineform problem is I got the same issues when testing in a new project using the base AVCHD files rather than using the Cineform conversions. In my case, I suspect the issue is either my video card (I'm using an old GTX260 with DDR 3 RAM which may be too slow for mutlicamming in CS 5.5 on my system) or it might be an interaction with the CS5.5 drivers for the Matrox MXO2 Mini (the Matrox info indcates that some users may experience problems like these.) Maybe a combination of both.

As Ben noted in his case, I am considering switching back, for the time being, to PPro CS5.03 and also going back to the previous drivers for the Matrox Mini. When I can get time to do this --- which is when I get the pending couple of 5.5 projects completed --- I'll report back if if the latest Neo Beta has any untoward effects in CS5 on my system. (Doubt that it will, but it is worth checking out.)

Which leads me to ask Ben if he swtiched back to CS5.03 and is having performance issues with b.327 or if the problem is confined to PPro CS 5.5 on his system?
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #53
Major Player

Reference my Green Screen multi-camera window when using CF AVI and Premier Pro CS 5.5, I just got notified by an Adobe employee (on their forums), that Adobe is working with Cineform to find a solution to this problem.

Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:43 AM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West View Post
Which leads me to ask Ben if he swtiched back to CS5.03 and is having performance issues with b.327 or if the problem is confined to PPro CS 5.5 on his system?
It is purely a Cineform issue for me, CS5.0.4 and CS5.5 display virtually the same performance, it's the change from Neo4K to the new Neo that reduces performance for me. I haven't tried a full uninstall before a new install yet as David suggested, as I need to finish up my current projects before I go messing about risking a change from a configuration that works.
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #55
Major Player

The constant re-conforming bug has turned again. It went away for a couple of weeks after I installed the recent beta. It has now turned up again to periodically stop playback in CS 5.5 until it finishes reconforming and re-re-conconforming and re-re-re-conforming. I have had to switch off "write xmp id" again.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:44 AM   #56
Major Player

Cineform Folks...

Any updates on these issues?

Zac Lam, over on the Adobe forums, told me over a month ago, that the multi-camera "green window" problem was not an Adobe issue, but Adobe and Cineform were actively working together on a solution.

There have been no updates to the Adobe software in quite some time, and no updates to Neo either.
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM   #57
Major Player

I'm pleased to report that my multi-camera problem (the multi-cam window going green when hardware Mercury acceleration was switched on in Premier, and Cineform files were on the timeline) has been fixed in the latest beta release of Neo. Apparently, according to Adobe, the problem wasn't in their code, as initially reported by Cineform. Thanks to Cineform for addressing the issue.

I haven't checked the other issues listed in this thread.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase