Audio Corrupt when Converting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Audio Corrupt when Converting

Hi there,

I understand that Cineform doesn't work properly in Win 8 X64 currently. I hadn't read that and the software just said error when I tried to convert but I'm running into another issue which may or may not be related. Would love if someone could tell me if they are related to the Win 8 X64 issue. I've been using Media Encoder CC to convert to Cineform .avi and although the video seems to convert properly the audio is corrupt and is just loud static after conversion from the files on the 5DMKIII and 7D. This didn't happen before but I also just upgraded to CC and also GoPro 2.0 so I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Is this a temp problem, is it something going on on my computer only or is anyone else running into this?
Drew Hosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Audio Corrupt when Converting

See my post below
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:41 AM   #3
New Boot

I read that post but just saw that the audio was coming out in a different length. Mine actually comes up completely corrupt and just loud static type noise. Is that how yours sounds too?
Drew Hosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The only thing (with Win 8) that I can get to convert a .mov file to Cineform with proper sound is Sony Vegas, I have tried older version of GPSP, the new one, Adobe Media encoder and HD Link at different compatibility modes.. Support 'hopes' that engineering has time to look at it (.mov AVCHD) now that ver 2.0 is out. One gets the feeling that all the R&D is devoted to making GoPro cameras look really good, everything else is an afterthought. I hope that Mr. Newman and Mr.Segraves both did well with the Go Pro acquisition but I am forced to abandon a normal part of my work flow (for many years).
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

On windows 8 64:
I've been reading the above and have just been trying some things out with .mov files from a Nikon D600, which I had successfully converted not all that long ago. But I realise that was before I updated to CF Studio 2.

Going back to the camera .mov files: with GoPro CF version 2, I can successfully convert using Adobe Media Encoder CC, both with the CF preset, and using the avi preset and choosing the CF codec. Audio is fine.

But both HDlink and GoPro CF Studio refuse to do anything with them.

So I uninstalled v2 and reinstalled the previous CF version 1.3.2.170, where I find that (for me, at any rate) GoPro CF studio throws up errors, but HDLink converts properly without fuss.

In passing, I agree that it does feel a little as if Cineform has become just a bolt-on to GoPro, and that long-time Cineform users are being left out of the party. Of course, the Cineform codec is just as good as it ever was, but I am beginning to worry a little for the medium to long term future ...
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just sent the following message to GOPro technical support:

"I upgraded to Studio 2.0 on my Windows 7 operating system. I just converted a bunch of Panasonic GH3 clips shot using 1080P30 in .mov format and had bad audio on all clips I checked. The audio sounds like crackling and digital noise except there is a small amount of modulation roughly like the original sound track. The Cineform video has no problems. There is an error message in the convert log saying the time code conversion may not be accurate.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the AC3 filter but it did not fix the problem. The camera original plays back audio without problem in Premiere Pro CS5. I tried importing one of the GH3 files into Studio 2.0 and experienced the same audio problems as the HD Link convert."

The problem seems linked to the 2.0 upgrade and the GH3 .mov files as HD Link converts files from my Canon 6D without difficulty.
Roger Keay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

GoPro Cineform sent me this response to the question posted above:

"This is a known issue with GH3 files. They have never worked with our software to my knowledge. Our engineers are aware of this and we are working to add support for these files in a future release of GoPro Studio. As an alternative, you could try using Adobe Media Encoder to convert these into CineForm files."

That's the answer from the people who know.
Roger Keay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase