what size should the video be? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what size should the video be?

Hello

Why is it that CineForm puts all the files into individual files when capturing the video? is there any way to capture the whole video as one file in HDLink? Also what should the size be for 21 mins of video? Mine has turned out to be just under 14GB is this correct? is there any way you can change the settings in CineForm HDLink so it takes up less space?
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Why is it that CineForm puts all the files into individual files when capturing the video?
Because you told it to "scene detect" which is a good idea, otherwise the audio loses sync with the video when you try to capture it all at once.

Quote:
Also what should the size be for 21 mins of video? Mine has turned out to be just under 14GB is this correct? is there any way you can change the settings in CineForm HDLink so it takes up less space?
The medium setting takes about 40GB per hour.

If you can't handle large files, you should not be editing HDV. I am sorry, but HDV requires massive storage and all the power of a PC you can through at it.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 06:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Steven, I tried scene detect once on an hour tape. The darn thing made 200 files so I said forget that. Now, David, is their lip sync issues with the cineform s/w as one big file capture? Man, I hope not since I am putting in 4 hours worth of tapes in single huge files for the 5th time.

dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There are sync issues with HDV if you don't break the scenes. The MPEG scene break make different length of video and audio at the boundary points. Using scene breaking solves this.
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Wow, where is this documented? I keep finding more and more issues with HDV that do not seem to be well known from all the stuff I have been reading.

So, what are the options? When I did scene break, it chopped my video into WAY to many segments. Now, if it cut them everytime I stopped and started the camera, that may be okay.

So, again, am sitting here pretty shocked with all this stuff. With DV, I just edited. I have already pulled in 4 hours of video 5 times thinking I knew the best way to edit.

So, since scene break does not work well in my experience, David, how do you suggest this sync issue is resolved? Can one do 20 minutes of video via in/out points?

I have to be honest that I have more than once thought that HDV is not worth the hassle. How is gets soft on pans is something that just about has driven me back to DV.

So, is there any format that does not have all these little corner case issues?

Dave
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You have others issues if the scene breaks are occuring randomly. The scene breaking code works well, most customers love it, so I was surprised at you comments. I don't know the details for the solution, so file a trouble ticket on the support site so that the tech guys can advise you.
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Okay, will file a ticket.
My first comment is the audio sync issue. I had never heard of this before.

Now, since I never had used scene detection, I had no idea what to expect.
I did not look that closely at the breaks, but when I saw a 1 hour tape was heading over 200 clips, I said heck this that.

Dave
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Steven, exactly how does one verify if one has the audio sync issue? Should I just go to the end of my 1 hour avi capture, watch on the timeline, and see if I notice an audio sync issue?

Dave
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Well, I went back and looked at my files I pulled in and yes, by the end they have audio sync issues. Amazing.

So, with all the new settings that I have been trying, I am now for the 6th time trying to bring the clips in with scene detect on and see how many files it makes. So far it seems on one tape to be working better.

Dave
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #10
Trustee

Yes, you could get hundreds of files. But, so what? Really. Does it matter?

If the software detects that you shoot a bunch of 10 second clips, is that bad?

Now, if in fact you are shooting continuously and it is not detecting that, then you should work with the Cineform folks for sure.

For me, the scene detect seems to get me to the right spot vi=rtually every time, so it never mattered to me. It gives me a chance to review each clip, and then name the clips before I use them. I still use a numbering system, but I add additional text to the names quite often.
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Steven, if one does 10 second clips, I agree. I do not know what happened the first time I tried, because I have redid them all again, and on the first tape, each break was a start record spot, and it can not do any better than that.

Thanks

Dave
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #12
Trustee

Glad to hear that you got it working.
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #13
Major Player

Dave, I couldn't work anymore without scene detection.
It makes life so easy during editing.
- Each scene you shot is nicely made as a file. So no time to waist finding in the in/out points.
- in premiere as soon as you used the clip it is marked. So no accedental double use of a scene unless you want.
- it is easy that way quickly remove bad scenes, and to be able to filter that way all your scenes.
- you can group scenes in catagories. so all close-ups, wide shots etc are nicely available when I edit video, without the need to look in a very long file for the right scene all the time.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #14
Major Player

Marc, now that I have used it again, I totally agree with you!
Its just that this audio problem is not well known. I just told a friend of mine last night who does lots of editing and he had never read about the issue. I have never read about it in any editing magazine I get. Is this an industry secret?

This is what makes the internet forums so great. The ability to share knowledge!!

Dave
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

David, Please, de-couple "Split scenes" for M2Ts and AVIs

I posted this as a wish a few versions ago. And you at Cineform answered that it was a sound suggestion.

To day you have only one choice, if you want do to it one pass: either you split AVIs AND M2Ts or NONE of them. Very often what makes sense is to capture the M2Ts as a whole And Split scenes for the CFHD AVIs only. Much easier to work with, much easier to archive, etc...

This would require FOUR lines of code at most and ONE extra control in the preferences panel. Please, do it !!!

Thanks
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase