DVFilm and Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Trustee

DVFilm and Cineform

Just tried DVFilm for 60i to 24p conversion. Output is AVI file in Cineform codec.

1. Video: Interesting fact: when "YUV processing" is marked in DVFilm, it's video is much *brighter* than Cineform's HDLink output from the same source.

Unmarking "YUV processing" box in DVFilm makes it look the same as HDLink output.

2. Sound: I had to enter -2 Frames sound delay in DVFilm to keep sound in sync. (Short 1-min. clip. I dunno what will happen on the long ones.)

Is this normal?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Both sound like DVFilm errors. DVFilm only uses the RGB VFW codec of CineForm so the YUV mode is not likely to work (unless they and support for DirectShow.)
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Alex,

I'd like to hear more about yor experience with DVFilm and Cineform. Do you like the result?
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Dick, I'm not sure yet. I need much more of the footage, in different shooting situations, to see whether DVFilm Maker produces a film-like 24p to my liking or not.

So far I think the footage from DVFilm Maker looks:
- a bit softer than 60i HDLink-produced avi;
- slightly more red color;
- slightly darker.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Major Player

In my experience with DV Film, it adds a motion blur which often assists the blur created from the camera's 1/60 shutter speed to make it look more like it was captured at 1/48. However on fast motion this motion blur becomes detractive in that it produces a ghosted image (two images side by side) every other frame. The ghosted image is subtle, but it creates the look and feel that the footage did not originate at 24p or on film and is thus de-interlaced video. I have had good results using Nattress Standards Converter (plugin for Final Cut) with the motion blur option at 0%, but I feel that there is a greater loss in resolution there than with DV Film.

By the way, does anyone know if you can turn off the motion blur in DV Film?

-Chad
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #6
Major Player

On this subject:

Please take a look at the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63275

Any information from Cineform or DVFilm Maker would be appreciated.

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase