Cineform Playback on Laptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Cineform Playback on Laptop

My client needs to be able to playback the Cineform AVI files that I provide to him, for use on his laptop.

I have attempted to download the trial of Aspect, but of course, Premiere is not present on the computer, so the installation aborts.... even though, the Cineform HDV codec IS present in the list on their computer. However, Media Player will not play the Cineform AVI.

The laptop is not up to spec to install Premiere... so how do I get functional Cineform codec on this system. Why aren't the codecs available as a separate install?

It would be extremely helpful for this and other clients to preview footage.

Marty
OnQ Film
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Connect HD is used for this purpose. You can install and uninstall leave the correct decoder in place.
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi David,

the codec is present, but WMP crashes.

What should show up in the list of codecs?

Mine displays: CineFormHD VFW Codec

Thanks very much... I'm scrambling to make this work.

Marty
OnQ Film
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You want the DirectShow codec not VfW. Install Connect HD.
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Okay....

I did try Connect without success, but I will take a fresh stab at it.

Thanks David,

Marty
OnQ Film
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have thousands of Connect HD users so "without success" doesn't make sense. Install Connect HD and leave it installed, until you determine what is wrong if that PC.
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm certain the problem is on this end, without a doubt... just trying to sort through things.

What file should appear in the codec list that indicates it is the Direct Show?

UPDATE: WMP is now loading and recognizing the AVI.... wonderful. The only Cineform codec that is present on the installed list is the VFW.

David... I saw you mention somewhere on this board about a resolution reduction that allows better playback response for sub-optimal machines. Can you refresh me on that solution.

Thanks again for your instant support. I will update you on a unique use of the Cineform solution in the engineering field...... I am able to offer a very cool solution thanks to Cineform.

Marty
OnQ Film
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

What codec list? I always use GraphEdit to see which DShow codecs are used.

Unfortnately I have to hit the road for today, so please try support.
Old August 25th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Marty,

Download our playback controls utility and unzip it: www.cineform.com/downloads/playbackcontrols.zip. Then double-click on the AccleratedPlay.reg file. This will play your files at half-horizontal and half-vertical resolution which requires less CPU power (about 40% of a full-res decode). The quality is excellent due to the nature of Wavelet files, unlike MPEG files which "block up" when playing at reduced resolution. To reset playback to full resolution, double click on FullQualityPlay.reg. Until you run the "FullQuality" file all Windows playback of CineForm files will be at half-res.

BTW, for those of you who don't have this tool it can be very useful when you share files with others who may not have a modern PC.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #10
Major Player

David T...

thanks for jumping in with the link, very much appreciated.

All rough spots are solved here. The Connect download did the job.

It would be a very good thing to have a simple Playback Codec download...not for the regular Cineform customers, but for our clients. Many of those folks, especially in the engineering and tech industry, are not too keen on installing superfluous software on their machines. Telling them, "oh don't worry, you're going to uninstall it anyways", doesn't exactly put their minds at ease.

An alternative to that, is there a legal and efficient means for us Cinform users to distribute the codec files to our clients?

I understand this may be a very narrow concern, but working with this particular client base demands credibility, and backdoor solutions don't go over very well with them.

On the upside....the Cineform AVI has blazed a fantastic inroad for the utilization of motion-tracking software. Client is blown away by the accuracy offered by the footage.

Marty
OnQ Film
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Marty,

In fact we do intend to have a codec-only download for just this reason. We also intend to have PC performance-characterization download which allows you to profile your machine for RT editing performance. The latter is intended more for Prospect than Aspect/Connect because of its RT HD-SDI requirement.

We have tended recently to prioritize product features higher, and in fact we have some very cool new features we'll be announcing in the next few weeks, but I suspect we'll get the codec download finished in the reasonably near future.
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Major Player

That's great news and thanks for the update.

I'm sure all of us users would prefer that you focus time and effort on new features and fun stuff, rather than a boring old codec download.

The fact that we can ingest HDV, and produce a standard AVI for distribution and use in the techical/engineering arena is absolutely huge.

The team that I have been working with were all excited about utilizing their little Sony HDV cameras, until they realized that ..... oops, how the heck do we access the footage!?

Cineform answers all of those questions by providing an non-proprietary AVI. All of a sudden, I'm just as vital to the project as all these dudes with 500 IQ's!

Marty
OnQ Film
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #13
Major Player

Marty, I only caution you to not say too many nice things to us as it makes our heads swell, making it precarious getting in the front door in the morning.... :-)
Old August 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #14
Major Player

Certainly someone in engineering can design a wider door?
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase