Can you do HDV without Cineform? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 26th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can you do HDV without Cineform?

Cineform is high price. I can do capture with HDVsplit to m2t file. Edit in Premiere Pro 2.0. Can i get from .m2t to a .avi 720x576 I can use in Adobe Encore DVD 2.0?
Arve Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Major Player

If you have 2 gigs of ram on your PC, you can import the HDV content into your computer, edit that, then export it as a SD .avi or burn it to a Blu Ray or HD-DVD disc.

It can be done without cineform, its just a pain in the RAM chips. You need at LEAST 2 gigs. And I was able to do a 30 minute film with only a little headache. (With an aftershock of a headache when I had to render it for about 6 hours or so. Bloody hell.)
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arve Hansen
Cineform is high price. I can do capture with HDVsplit to m2t file. Edit in Premiere Pro 2.0. Can i get from .m2t to a .avi 720x576 I can use in Adobe Encore DVD 2.0?
Absolutely. You can edit in HDV, assuming you have the horsepower on your system, both RAM and CPU speed.... Remember, it actually works quite well in Premeiere Pro 2.0. But remember, continuous rerendering of HDV, or heavy color correction will create reduction in quality and resosolution. But simple edits will be great, and even complicted single render edits will do fine. You can say a final in mpg2 high definition, or render out to your desired DV format direction.
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The less expensive and convenient way is to use Gearshift. I use it with Vegas and find it very useful in my HDV editing.
Peter Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Gearshift. Not heard abaut this. Is this near as good as Cineform?

Are there other ways to go?

Is it possible: If i capture to m2t. Then use something/convert so you can edit in DV 720*576. When finnish. Then you can synch this DV file with m2t and get the HDV back to tape.

You can do like this in Casablanca.
Can I do this in Ppro 2.0 or a different edit program?
Arve Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Trustee

Do you mean edit in DV using it as a proxy, and then replacing it with HDV? I believe this was discussed elsewhere and decided that this is impossible in most NLE's. However Gearshift lets you do this, I heard.
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Gearshift will let you do just that, capture m2t files, convert to DV Proxy, edit, and switch out the DV Proxy files for the HD m2t files.
However, I believe that it was designed for and only works with Sony Vegas.
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #8
Major Player

There is always a simple solution. I mean to sound patronising, so pls dont take it this way, but just get a computer upgrade. From the look of the codecs avaliable, and those that are free are somewhat limited (but they work) I think that if you invest in a computer that can handle a kick in the balls without a cup, then not only have you saved yourself the problems of HDV requirements, but also have put the money you would have spent on a codec and put it into something more practical.

A mate of mine said, I'd rather spend 2 grand upgrading my computer than 2 grand jumping the HDV rope.

2 birds with one stone...
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #9
Trustee

I did spend a small fortune on a new PC, and I still like editing with Cineform Aspect HD better than editing native M2T.

http://www.stevengotz.com/pc.htm
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

HDV editing possible in Vegas 7

Vegas 7 is one of several applications that will directly edit m2t HDV files. In fact, Vegas 7 will split the incoming video into clips.

Now, how smoothly the edit will go and how fast your results will render depends on your computer. Also, there is a little glich in the process such that the end of each clip contains a few frames of the next clip, so you have to be aware of this when putting successive clips on the timeline. Attemps to correct this may give you little jump cuts.

That glich aside, I have to say that Vegas is one of those applications that will run on just about any PC. The one I am using is 3.5 years old and has only a half gig of RAM.

I did try the Connect HD intermediate codec approach when I only had Vegas 6, and that approach worked smoothly but required lots of drive space for the intermediates. In doing a very critical edit, let's say, something for broadcast, the intermediate codec approach would be better. But for event videos, HDV direct editing works for me.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #11
Trustee

Too bad you can't downgrade to PPro 1.5.1, as it has a free version of cineform bundled with it. If your doing basic stuff in 8bit, PPro 1.5.1 will do.

Of course I'm upgrading to 10 bit and prospect, so I need PPro 2.0 upgrade for the 10bit process, which will cost $ -so I understand your issue. Not cheap.

At the very least, you can edit mt2 if your pc supports it, and after you do a few projects, you'll be convinced do to whatever it takes to purchase the cineform product.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #12
Trustee

Proxying to DV works fine, at least in Premiere with the Mainconcept HDV plug. So I dunno what that earlier comment was about.

Proxying was how I did it for 6 months or so before I saved up for Cineform. Havent looked back since then however....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #13
Regular Crew

NewTek's SpeedEdit!
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #14

as discussed on a different thread, the problem with editting native m2t files, especially in Vegas 7, is that vegas/mainconcept doesn't smart render cuts. what this means is that if you make a cut on the timeline, the whole entire timeline is re-rendered.....excrutiatingly slowly. Cineform is so much better at this than editting native m2t files, no matter how fast your computer is. If you REALLY want to edit native m2t files, I would suggest using the womble.com software, which does smart rendering. IOW, it only rerenders a small number of frames on either side of the cut and it always quantizes the cut to the nearst I-frame.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #15
Inner Circle

look for vegas 6. should be less than 100 bucks. it comes with the cineform codec.

hands down, vegas offers more bang per buck than any other nle.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase