After Effects and Cineform - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 16th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #46
Regular Crew

After Effects importer question

Hi David,

I just upgraded to Adobe Production Studio Premium. I had some Open GL issues with After Effects 7.0 and had to uninstall and re-install it. The Open GL problem is now fixed, but I have a new problem. Now, I do not get the Cineform importer prompt when opening the application. I've tried to unistall and reinstall Prospect (build 66), but I'm not getting the prompt anymore and it's telling me that my files are from an 8-Bit source.

Can you please tell me how I can reset my preferences to get the prompt back in After Effects? (so that I can import my 10-Bit Prospect files)

Also, I wanted to ask you if importing and coverting HDV footage to the "Higher" setting will add any quality to the post production on my film, or if it is just overkill for converted HDV (from a JVC-HD100).

Thanks,

Geoff Murillo
Geoff Murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #47
CTO, CineForm Inc.

To restore the AE importer defaults (assuming it usen't uninstalled with your OpenGL issues), hold down Ctrl-Shift during AE's startup.

"coverting HDV footage to the "Higher" setting" could mean many things. I would advice you selecting upconvert 8-bit to 10-bit, and using High or FilmScan1 for any film project.
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #48
Trustee

Aspect HD - AE round-trip

I use PPro 1.5.1 with Aspect HD (3.x?) and AE 7 Pro.

For simplicity, I try to use PPRo as much as I can for everything, including effects and some Color Correction.

But since the HDV source video usually has ugly macroblocks, CC in PPro can be unacceptable.

In these situations, I do the following:

- Export from PPro as 10-bit uncompressed (Blackmagic mov)

- Import that into AE, making sure the project is 16-bit

- Apply Color Correction. (My theory is that since the source is 10-bit now, and project settings are even higher, then rounding errors should be diminished comparing to those in PPRo's 8-bit-only environment. Indeed, visual difference is hugely towards AE.)

- Export the result as Cineform AHD

- Import that CC'd footage back into PPRo timeline for real-time edit.

I try doing this only to short clips since AE renders take forever.

Is this the best workflow between PPro + AHD and AE?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin
But since the HDV source video usually has ugly macroblocks, CC in PPro can be unacceptable.
Rather than CC the HDV, have you tried converting the HDV to HD CFHD and then CC that?

Also, regarding the best workflow, have you tried DL, or is an upgrade out of the question?

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #50
Regular Crew

After Effects and Cineform.

Dear Mr. Newman,

I bought my copy of Aspect HD 4.23two months ago. Cineform is an amazing product, it has helped me finish my production in less time and with more quality. The only question I have is regarding the cineform codec and After effects, I cannot render my compositions directly to your codec, I get an error message each time I try it.
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #51
Sponsor: CineForm

Please open a support ticket at www.cineform.com/support and we'll troubleshoot this issue from there. Thanks!
Jake Segraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven White View Post
I just changed the initialization profile in After Effects to include a 1.33 pixel aspect ratio, and make native 1440x1080 compositions. Supposedly Aspect HD introduces this automatically, but it can be done by going into the

After Effects 6.0/Support Files/intepretation rules.txt

file, taking the bottom line:
# 0, 0, 0, "0000", * = 10/11/"Custom Aspect", *, *, *

and changing it to:
0, 0, 0, "0000", * = 4/3/"Custom Aspect", *, *, *

Ta da!
Old post, I know.

I tried this and it won't work.

AE 6.5 still won't import my Cineform HD AVI's.

Any ideas?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase