CineForm Aspect HD vs Prospect HD - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 29th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #31
CTO, CineForm Inc.

While the camera is only going to resolve under 1440x1080, the HDMI output is 1920x1080, so some favor Prospect HD as will capture pixel for pixel the HDMI signal. Aspect HD resamples back to 1440x1080, however for these cameras I don't believe this impacts image quality. However, Prospect HD has the advantage of any color correction work as it support deeper than 8-bit processing -- that is worth considering. You can start with Aspect HD and later upgrade to PHD if you are on the edge.
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Prospect to Aspect

Im 99% sure this is fine; just want to be sure.

I have contractor shooting some HD stuff for me and delivering it to me on an external HD after captureing it in vegas to prospect hd codec.

If Im using aspect hd with ppro cs3, Ill be fine reading/edting these files correct?

Any thing specific i should have him set settings to to ensure smooth workflow back and forth?
Curt Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #33
Major Player

Curt,

Prospect HD doesn't work with Vegas. So for clarity, on the capture machine - do you have Premiere Pro with Prospect HD installed, and also Vegas installed? That's the only way you have Prospect HD on a Vegas PC. Normally with Vegas you use Neo HDV or Neo HD.

The good news is that all our files, no matter which CineForm software they are created with, will play with any of our decoders. The spatial resolutions of our decoders are always unrestricted.

If you DO have either PHD or NeoHD installed on your Vegas machine, then depending on the capture settings, you *might* receive 1920x1080 content from your contractor. The content will play fine in your Premiere Pro timeline with Aspect HD, but renders out of PPro with AHD will have a max frame size of 1440x1080.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #34
Regular Crew

My contractor told me he uses Vegas and captures to a cineform codec using prospect hd. Perhaps he has his terms screwed up.

Im running PPRO CS3 (which would be the receiving machine) I havnt pulled the trigger on aspect or prospect hd yet. But looks like im gonna need to soon. Not at all enjoying hdv natively in pro and hd uc is just too big..

Curt
Curt Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #35
Major Player

Curt, your last sentence is a very succinct statement of what we tell people.... With our new cross-platform (Windows/Mac) support hopefully that will also help the workflow....
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #36
Major Player

On a related note, can Prospect handle 1440x1080 projects, the Prospect setting that I see only shows 1920x1080 but obviously Premier let's you change that, so when working on an HDV project, should default startup settings be changed to 1440 at the start of the project or just import the HDV 1440 footage into the 1920 x 1080 setting?
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #37
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, Prospect HD supports 1440x1080, you can easily create that preset. The only reason it isn't there was the AJA card doesn't support the 1440 mode, and initially all our Prospect HD customers used AJA HDSDI cards. We should add the preset as there are so many using Prospect HD for HDV now.
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #38
Major Player

David your response time is always nothing short of exceptional, so rather than Capture in HDVSplit and convert the 1440 to 1920 I will modify the workflow to a new 1440 preset created for HDV / Prospect. thanks.
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #39
Major Player

Prospect vs Aspect.

I just downloaded a trial of Prospect for the first time (I'd only ever tried Aspect HD before). And I noticed that there are no presets for 1440x1080, as I thought there were with Aspect HD. Does anyone use Prospect and use a custom resolution of 1440 or does everyone just upsample to 1920? (Perhaps I'm overlooking the point of ProspectHD by asking about the absence of 1440x1080)

Also, I remember Cineform mentioning something a while ago about possibly having a student discount, and to call them to see if something could be worked out, but I can't find any contact info other than an e-mail address.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #40
Major Player

Craig,

Just an oversight about not having 1440 presets in PHD. You can easily create your own from the 1920x1080 preset. Many people using PHD prefer square pixel formats 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

PM me separately about student discount....
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Hey student discounts! :( I knew not of such a thing I am a DMP student at the Art Institute of Washington and just upgraded to Aspect :( anything can be done to get some cash back David? :)
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #42
Major Player

We don't have a posted policy Dmitry. Please PM me separately.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase