Flash XDR 50Mbs 4-2-2 .mxf Video Samples at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Flash XDR 50Mbs 4-2-2 .mxf Video Samples

Has anyone seen any 50Mbs 4-2-2 .mxf video samples yet? Or any video samples direct from the XDR unit with out having first being sent to FCP via HD-SDI and transcoded into a .mov file like the samples offered on the C-D website?

Surely there must be someone somewhere who has???? And as long as I am not running for any popularity contests I might as well ask... Am I the only one who finds the lack of sample footage this late in the game somewhat foreboding?

Speaking for a minority of 1,

David Schmerin
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #2
Major Player

We all would like to know whats in the package, like any kid on Christmas Eve. Just wait 'til units are ready. I'm sure all kinds of tests and reviews will start pouring in.

Mike Schell has been very open during the development, but lets give him and the CD team the time/space to finish up and lets not get overanxious.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is a Sample

I am pleased to announce that I have managed to get my hands on a 50Mbs 4-2-2 .mxf video file. The file having been shot on a PDW-700 and recorded native to .mxf imported into Final Cut Pro with out any issue. Using XDCAM Transfer 2.7.0, the import went flawlessly and the video played wonderfully.

Given that the Flash XDR uses the same Sony codec used in the PDW-700, the results for a .mxf file created using the Flash XDR should be identical. It would seem that thanks to the good folks at Sony, at least for the 50Mbs 4-2-2 we now have a cross platform file format solution.

If anyone else wants to play around with the video, I have it on my FTP server:

Host: download.gotfootage.com
User: shipping
Pass: demo
Port: 21
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear David,

Thank you for posting the footage.

Yes, the MPEG2 encoder/decoder modules in the Flash XDR and nanoFlash are the same as used in the Sony PDW-700.

So, at the 50 Mb 4:2:2 settings on the Flash XDR / nanoFlash, the quality of the footage should be exactly the same. Of course, their may be a difference in the cameras, such as the difference between lenses and CMOS / CCD sensor blocks and other circuitry. But the quality of the MPEG2 encoding at 50 Mb will be identical.

The Sony MPEG2 encoder/decoder is a very advanced device. Mike Schell indicates that this is either a sixth or seventh generation MPEG encoder.

MXF is an extensible language. Thus the metadata can be different between the two in that the Flash XDR / nanoFlash may have more or less information, or different information.

Of course, the essential information contained in the metadata should be provided in the same fields in both. It is the extra data that is customizable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey