Sony F355 HDSDI Interlaced? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony F355 HDSDI Interlaced?

I posted a question as to whether you could get variable frame rates out of thr HDSDI, but it's now occured to me that there might even be a problem with getting a porgressive image out either? I think it's been established that the F350/355 chips are interlaced, and that the image is then laid to disc as a progressive image, so does this mean that the output to Flash XDR will be 50/60i?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
I posted a question as to whether you could get variable frame rates out of thr HDSDI, but it's now occured to me that there might even be a problem with getting a porgressive image out either? I think it's been established that the F350/355 chips are interlaced, and that the image is then laid to disc as a progressive image, so does this mean that the output to Flash XDR will be 50/60i?
Steve
Hi Steve-
Our recorder simply follows the format of the incoming HD-SDI stream and we support almost every single-link HD-SDI format, including 1080i59.94/50 and 1080p29.97/25/24/23.98. We can also do the pull-down removal to record 1080p23.98 from a 1080i59.94 stream.

So, I am not exactly sure which HD-SDI formats are output from the F350 camera, but we can likely record all of the various formats.
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm sure the XDR will record whatever comes out of the F355, no doubt about that, but if interlace comes out and you want progressive (as most people do these days) it's not going to do you a lot of good!
Anyone taken HDSDI from the camera to NLE/HDCAM deck etc. to see what comes out? I'm pretty sure the under/overcranking are out, but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised!
Steve
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Guys - I also have a F350 and would love to sort this one out, maybe a call to Sony would be the answer. The XDR seems to be the way forward to 'up-res' the camera spec. without having to follow the 'cash heavy' route, i.e. new camera & lenses! I too have my fingers crossed...
Godfrey Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey Kirby View Post
Hi Guys - I also have a F350 and would love to sort this one out, maybe a call to Sony would be the answer. The XDR seems to be the way forward to 'up-res' the camera spec. without having to follow the 'cash heavy' route, i.e. new camera & lenses! I too have my fingers crossed...
Hi Godfrey-
If you have an HD-SDI monitor which accepts all these formats, you could plug-in the output from the F350 and check the display. Most of the HD-SDI monitors display the incoming video format for a few seconds.
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike - the Sony 9050 LCD shows 50I when the camera is switched to 25P. So that's that, still there's the 100 Mbps to look forward to....
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Unless there was a clever little firmware upgrade around the corner from Convergent Design..........
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think there are software ways to simply transform interlaced to progressive? Presumably all the programme needs to do is take the 2 fields, combine them and play them together at 25P rather than as 2 fields as 50I. Does Magic Bullet do this?
Steve
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey Kirby View Post
Unless there was a clever little firmware upgrade around the corner from Convergent Design..........
Hi Godfrey, Steve-
Yes, there is on our firmware list. It's a relatively simple task to combine the two fields into a progressive frame and present this to the CODEC for compression. You will be able to select this option from the menu.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Steve - Magic Bullet Frames. It's a software de-interlacer, if that's English. I have no knowledge of how it's regarded. I've heard Post Production people saying ''Oh, we can do that (de-interlace) in post - no problem'' and others (camerapersons) saying ''Best done in the camera...'' Which is the 'way forward' I can't say. Maybe others have been down this route & can give us some advice.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Mike - must have been tapping away at the same time - jolly good news for us 'Interlaced Folk'. Must get my beer tokens ready to send to you. Regards Godfrey.
Godfrey Kirby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey