One last thing on psf - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The NanoFlash will work with PsF ticked or not. Sony's (and most other) cameras when set to progressive output a PsF signal which to the NanoFlash is no different to an interlace signal.

The NanoFlash does not know whether what it is seeing is Progressive or Interlace. If you tick the "PsF In" box the NanoFlash records the input as progressive. The biggest potential problem is if you are shooting interlace and you leave the box ticked as the interlace footage would be recorded as progressive. If you dropped interlaced material recorded as progressive into an interlace timeline it may not be displayed correctly.

In short if you are shooting Progressive you need to tick the box, if you are shooting interlace, no tick.

If you are at all unsure the safest is to not tick the box. Any progressive PsF material would be recorded as Interlace by the NanoFlash, but this shouldn't really make any difference when the files get played back, but it may confuse you as your files will report being interlace while the content is progressive.

I hope that makes sense.
So....with my Sony PMW-EX1, if I am shooting progressive (which I do 100 % of the time) I would tick "PsF In" box? - [I don't own a Nano - just lurking - but hope to be an owner in the near future]
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #17
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
So....with my Sony PMW-EX1, if I am shooting progressive (which I do 100 % of the time) I would tick "PsF In" box? - [I don't own a Nano - just lurking - but hope to be an owner in the near future]
Hi Barry (aka future nanoFlash owner?)-
Yes, you would select the PSF-In box when shooting progressive mode on the EX1/3. This would ensure that each frame is proceesed as progressive and not interlaced. The HD-SDI signal for 1080i60 and 1080psf30 look identical, so you need to tell the nanoFlash to process as progressive.

Best-
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Major Player

Just read this thread and I am bumping it for the new nanoFlash users. This is an important topic for most, if not all those using the device.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Sticky... the time has come

This topic begs for a concise sticky written by some of the greatest nanoFLASH minds of our generation. Also in this sticky a section detailing each common camera model and the right settings for each rez and framerate. This may reward the lazy (too lazy to do tests), but could reward Convergent Design to a greater extent since there will be more happy users who will not "blow" a shoot.

Cameras to start with: EX1, EX-3, the new 350 XDCAM EX, Panasonic Cams.. HDX-900.

I just printed out the output specs of the HDX-900 HD SDI. Previous post is correct about Panasonic HDX.. all of it is over 60i so seems a good candidate for PSF check box. Right? Wrong? I can post the HDX-900 output spec page if anyone would like a reference copy.
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
For 24P, we are able to set the PSF In option internally. So one does not need to worry about PSF if your footage is 24p.
For EX cam:

The PSF In box should be checked for progressive and unchecked for interlace. For NTSC, if I never shoot 30p, I could leave the box unchecked and it would be set correctly whether I shoot interlace or 24p. Is that correct?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Tom,

Yes, in your case, since you never shoot 1080p30 or 1080p29.97, you could leave the Record PSF>Prog(ressive) box unchecked.

Yes, we automatically set the flag, internally, if your footage is 1080p24, 1080p23.98 (1080p23.976).

And if you leave the Flag unchecked, we will process 1080i60, 1080i59.94, as interlaced.
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #22
Major Player

Psf exist on a stream or on tape, but once the picture is wrote as a digital file, is just PROGRESSIVE.
Can be read again as psf if needed, but must be processed as any Progressive image.
When the clips gets recorded in the NANO there is nothing on the file that tell us that once they where psf.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear George,

This may help:

If you set your camera to record progressive, then check "Record PSF>Prog".

If you set your camera to record interlaced, then uncheck "Record PSF>Prog".

Examples:

If you set your camera for 1080i59.94,
and you see 1080p29.97 on the nanoFlash,
then uncheck "Record PSF>Prog".

If you set your camera for 1080p29.97,
and you see 1080i59.94 on the nanoFlash,
then check "Record PSF>Prog".

If the nanoFlash shows you a frame rate that is the same as you have setup in your camera, then it is setup properly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey