PC user and nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PC user and nanoflash

Hi everyone

I am a long term Adobe suit user, now on CS4, I really want the nanoflash for post work but donīt want to invest on a Mac (for now) to have support for the nanoflash files, now the question is, I have a blackmagic decklink hd Extreme 2 on the main editing machine, is it a good workflow to capture the footage directly from the nanoīs HD-SDI out on play back mode to a blackmagic 8bit 422 codec, I Know it is not the best solution for a flie based system but it could be a solution.

greetings
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Julio,

We expect a solution, from MainConcept, so that you can edit our highest quality files in CS3 & CS4 fairly soon.

We were expecting it before the end of September, but as far as we know it has not been released yet. Nor do we know the price at this time.

Alternatively, the nanoFlash allows you to record in 35 Mbps 4:2:0, which does work with CS3 & CS4. But, of course, this is not the same as recording in 4:2:2.

CS5 will support our higher quality files, according to what we have been told.
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Trustee

I posted another thread about what I discovered but everyone is ignoring it - for what reason, I have no idea why.

Calibrated XD Quicktime decoding plug-in works just fine with AE CS4 and Premiere Pro CS4 (using Vista x64) to play/edit QT files from convergent's site. This plug-in is only $80 whereas Mainconcept's plug-in will be much higher.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Sorry, I did not mean to ignore your email.

I thought that your email offered meaningful information and provided our friends with another option.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Dan.

I have just been wanting you guys to confirm that this plug-in works and that I am not missing something. I really want the Nanoflash and using the $80 plug-in can allow me to get it.

Can you guys test this plug-in with the various recording rates?

Thanks
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Yes, we have tested this decoder.

Calibrated Software

Please note that these are "Import Plug-In's".

This is different than a full codec which includes both an encoder and a decoder.

Since many computers are different, and user's need different performance levels, I recommend using the free download to test the software before you purchase it.
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Dan. Not being a codec is a good point. I would use the Nanoflash for green screen at first and then other field work(commercials), mostly using AE CS4. Can you help me figure out whether I would benefit using a full codec vs an import plug-in.
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Steve,

Just to clarify - Calibrated{Q} XD Decode is a codec - but only a decode codec (like how the Apple ProRes Codec For Windows is only a decode codec). It's not an Import plugin - which is something different. Being only a Decode Codec just means that you can't render back to that same compression.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software
Greg Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Greg,

Sorry, I misread your website.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey