XDR RS-422 Interface Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Trustee

XDR RS-422 Interface Question

Hi Dan or Mike:
I would like to know what is the time table for the enabling of the RS-422 interface on the Flash XDR, please ? I would like to be able to integrate the unit into my post workflow upon occassion as a VTR replacement for Batch Capture and Re-Capture. I would also like to have the flexibility to take my XDR to another post house and have them be able to control it from their switcher and HDCAM SR deck (Via Standard RS-422 Protocol signals of course). I am quite optimistic at the great potential of the XDR as a digital VTR solution in post as well as a great shooting deck.

EDIT: (More detailed workflow explanation): What I would like to be able to do is get an HDCAM SR dub from a TV Network VTR onto my XDR, then once that master is onto CF cards, I then could easily import it into Avid Media Composer and re-edit, then output back onto a CF card and bring the unit back to the station to playout to the HDCAM SR VTR via the HD-SDI output. Thus, the XDR becomes the bridge between file based and realtime capture based editing.

Respectfully,

Mark Job

Last edited by Mark Job; September 29th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Trustee

.........??????..........

Hi Mike or Dan:
?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

I checked our internal firmware development schedule and I can not give you a date at this time.

We are working in this area, but we are not ready to divulge more details at this time.
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Mark,

I checked our internal firmware development schedule and I can not give you a date at this time.

We are working in this area, but we are not ready to divulge more details at this time.
Hi Dan:
It's great to know you folks are working on it at CD. May I make a few suggestions as to the standard control protocoll and basic operational scope I believe is required for the XDR to function as a VTR ?

1. Play
2. Stop.
3. Pause.
4. Record.
5. Pre-roll (Adjustable up to 45 seconds in front or behind the play in or record in point.)
* FF and REW functions would depend on CF card speed and your buffer size of on board memmory on the XDR.

i.e. Maybe 2X or 4X or 8 X normal speed will have to serve as this function if higher velocity is not possible with the CF card media.

** VITC must be fed back and fourth through the RS-422 interface at the apopropriate pin as well.

These functions would constitute an Assemble Edit Function. These are the basic functions I would be looking for in order for the XDR to be able to speak to Avid MC, or FCP, or another VTR through the RS-422 deck control built into these softwares.

Insert editing of audio and video may also be possible also, but your folks at CD would know this better than I.
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey