Bigger single clip files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Bigger single clip files

Dan is there any way we can have the options to have bigger files for single clips?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

We wanted our system to be compatible with both Mac's and PC's. Thus, we wanted our CompactFlash cards to be readable in a wide range of operating systems.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table, with a 32 Bit word) is one way of formatting a card that allows both Mac's and PC's to read the file.

FAT32 has a limit of 4 GB for any one file.

We limit our file sizes to around 3.5 GB. If there is a technical reason why we choose 3.5, I do not know what it is.

So, we may be able to increase it from 3.5 to almost 4.0 GB.

But, I assume that you want a dramatic increase in file size, as opposed to a small incremental increase.

I spoke to Mike today about a utility to "Stitch" our files together, via a utility. This utility would merge our multiple files into one. We have this under consideration.

Please note that it does not matter how we store the data internally, if we provide a "Copy or Transfer" utility that creates one output file for your editor.

A small side benefit of us using the 3.5 GB or 4.0 GB file sizes is that they fit on a SD DVD easily, but this is not our overridding consideration.

However, we have another project in work in which the multiple files will be treated as one file in Final Cut Pro. We would like to get further along on this project before we discuss it in detail, or release when we will have it ready.

We have other projects in work which relate to our File Converter utility.

(So many projects, only 24 hours in a day!)
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan for your response. I thought you had a good reason to keep the files so small.

I was looking at 10GB minimum for one of my current contracts.

Stitching in FC is easy just drop the clips on the timeline together and they run fine. I'm not looking at going into FC just using MXF converter then having the client use VCL player, since Clip Browser is not very good from my experience on a PC yesterday. But this in only one client at this time.
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

We have had excellent results with the Sony Clip Browser.

Mike and I were discussing, just yesterday, how nice it is.

What problems were you having?
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dan I have also had excellent results on my Mac Pro. The problem is when I installed Sony Clip browser on my PC to test some MXF converted files. The resolutions was poor and the control of the video did not have frame advance which the client will need.

I will look into this more tomorrow it could be a hardware problem with the machine. Or I could have installed a older version.
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

Please try the Sony Clip Browser, Version 2.30.
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Hello Dan - I'm no FCP wizard, but I tend to put all my nanoflash clips in one folder per job, or day, whatever. When I import instead of files I do the whole folder and drag it to the timeline, and all is stitched together quite nicely.
On a related issue is it possible to rename the clip files ( or would that mess up the stitching?)
On second thought, maybe I don't want to raise the problems that might present - I'll use my SxS habit and just create a card 1, card 2 etc file.
The Nano is working very well, thanks for your help and advice.
Denis
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Danis stitching the files in FC works well.

My problem is I am not putting these files into FC. I am just converting to MXF then sending off to a PC for viewing. That was the reason for having a larger files with some of the clips 10 minutes for a research project.
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Denis,

Yes, you may rename the clip files, but you loose the natural sorting order of the clips that we have created.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Okay, getting confused (again) here......
Skipping the mxf issue entirely, what is my best bet for handing off a drive to a producer so they can log and write, and maybe pass the drive on to the editor using a PC?

My intention was to copy the cards onto a lacie formatted FAT 32 and hope they have quicktime or download it for them.

IF I want to use Clip Browser is there a specific file structure I need? THe files I already have, nested in a "project file" are not recognized by clip browser - the folder won't open.

BEar with my folks, I'll catch up soon!
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Denis if you are shooting MXF on the Nano you just have to copy the clips onto a hard drive and send it off. If you shoot MOV just use the Convergent Designs converter and convert to MXF. This will let you have MOV and MXF on your system. This is a nice option if you ever have to send the clips to a Mac and edit on FC.

Once you send the MXF clips they can view the clips with the Sony Clip Browser on a PC. If they have to edit and are on a PC (I use Mac so some one else should correct me if I am wrong) they should be able to import MXF. I know Avid imports MXF but not sure what software your editor is using.

Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey