Goodwood Revival NanoFlash Footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Major Player

I'd happily post footage for comparison but that's impossible for me to do. I have two cameras. One does not have a recorder, the other has component out and I can't connect it to my XDR.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Aaron, I'm just looking for some frame grabs of parallel recordings. Unforunately, your equipment list doesn't seem to be able to accomodate that specialized request.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Thank you for your comments, Aaron and Alister. While I'm convinced that HDV would be improved, Alister's multiple comments in comparing EX1 at 35 MBps and Nanoflash at 100 MBs. Perhaps this explains why there is so little material comparing the two. Convergent should have more comparisons on their site. All I've been able to find are some relatively unimpressive Quicktime files with no alternate recording as a reference.

Mark Job has volunteered some Canon XL H1 HDV files and parallel Nanoflash recordings. I'll host those files for download on my server for a while and post the announcement to this group.
Hi Gints-
See this post: "The Real CODEC Torture Test: 35Mbps vs 100Mbps" for some comparion images.

Best-
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks for the two images, Mike. They are excellent examples of what I'm looking for. Though, do you have any that are not specifically from torture tests? I don't see myself rotating my camera much if at all, and I rarely have noticed that sort of edge artifacting in my Sony EX1 footage. Now, my Sony Z1U HDV was an artifact machine.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Aaron, I'm just looking for some frame grabs of parallel recordings. Unforunately, your equipment list doesn't seem to be able to accomodate that specialized request.
Once I get a component to SDI, I'll gladly show you the difference between 35Mbs HDV and 100Mbs on the XDR.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Clips back online!

Hi all. I have now got full clearance to publish the clips from Goodwood. You can watch via the links below.
YouTube - Goodwood Revival 2009. Flying Displays
Goodwood Revival By Alister Chapman On ExposureRoom
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Alister,

This is great news. I just loved your short.
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #23
Major Player

Beautiful work !

Could you tell us some details about the post work such as the project settings (uncompressed; ProRes; native Nano format?) and level of color correction performed.

Also, for a fair evaluation, the compression format that had to be used for posting this piece on the web which of course would degrade what your real finished product looks like which would be wonderful to see.

And what camera/lense was it shot on as well as the NanoFlash format used for acquisition - LongGOP 100mbps?

Thanks for taking the time to get permission to post this short. Wonderful.

Would be fun to see a film-out or digitally projected on a large monitor or screen.
My guess is would look marvelous!

These boxes in the hands of talented folks are a wonder.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #24
Major Player

Brilliant.
Rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #25
Inner Circle

It was shot using an EX3 with stock lens and Petroff Matte Box or with a Sony HXR-MC1P minicam. The NanoFlash was set to 100 Mb/s long GoP, it was all shot at 1920x1080 50i. I would have preferred to shoot 25P but the end client needed 50i

Post was done with FCP, editing in a XDCAM native timeline by dropping a NanoFlash clip into the timeline to set it up. There is some grading, but this was pretty simple using only the standard FCP color corrector. A slight vignette has been added to the clip.

The EX3 was setup with a picture profile using Cinegamma 1, cinema matrix at +35, preset white at 6300k, detail -10, frequency +30, crispening +20.
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #26
Major Player

Thank you Alister. Looks like the in-camera settings are what gave the footage that film feel look.

What did it look like on a nice large monitor?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Oh it looks very nice on a big monitor too! The 100 Mb/s NanoFlash footage holds up so well in post. A lot of the "look" comes from the light on the day. Most of it was shot during late afternoon and early evening during the Golden Hours. The footage was then color corrected to make sure all the footage had a slight orange/golden tint to it. I also had the matrix set to boost reds/oranges a little. I don't have those exact settings to hand now.
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Alister... good stuff, man! Thanks for sharing!
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #29
Convergent Design

Hi Alister-
Really superb. I thought you made an excellent choice for the soundtrack. Of course the video looked fantastic, also.

Best-
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
Once I get a component to SDI, I'll gladly show you the difference between 35Mbs HDV and 100Mbs on the XDR.
I got my HDV camera back from repair and I did a parallel recording. I thought I would post some comparison footage but honestly I've been staring at them and I can't tell the difference.

I recording a fairly static shot of some colored glass bottles on my counter top (I still don't have a very portable rig for doing parallel recordings with the XDR on my HDV cam). I don't think this was much torture for the HDV codec.

I'll need to push it harder to get it to breakdown.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey