Adobe CS3/CS4 + MainConcept = Great News - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Well as least I know it is not my machine or monitor. Could I be missing a setting on the timeline or output?
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Timeline settings:
Frame 1920 x 1080 HDTV 1080i (16x9)
Pixel AR square
Field Dominance None
Editing Time base 29.97

QT Video Settings
apple ProRes 422 HA
Quality 100%
Compressor Interlaced not checked
Enable 4.4.4. not checked

Video Processing
Render 8-bit YUV
Process Max white at White
Motion Filter Best

Render Control
Filter Checked
Frame Blending Checked
Frame Rate 100%
Resolution 100%
Codec Same as Seq
Mater Templates and Motion Best
Always use Best Quality Checked
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #78
Major Player

Paul, I think I see what your problem is. I'm pretty sure you're output file is being rendered from the timeline and not the source files. There are a multitude of ways to export files out of FCP only a couple of them use the source files at 100% quality. This is why I always recommend using compressor either standalone or from FCP, or use the Media Manager. This always uses the source files at 100% quality.

* Don't ever use "Export Using Quicktime Conversion", ever, for any reason.

* Only use "Export Using Quicktime Movie" if you are exporting the exact same codec, frame rate, etc (for example to trim away garbage footage and get new source files without re-encoding). This is not useful for what we are trying to do here.

I'm uploading a ProRes422 conversion that I did and you can clearly see the difference between the ProRes422 file I made and the one you made, although they are the same size. My ProRes422 file was made using your ORIGINAL media though, not a degraded copy of your media from the FCP timeline.

Check out the file I am uploading when you get a chance and tell me what you think. It'll be a few hours before the upload is complete though. I can do frame grabs if you'd like to see it faster though.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #79
Inner Circle

Aaron could you give me a call? 401 481 3811
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #80
Inner Circle

Aaron thanks for the call. This method looks so much better and very close to the source. The only difference is QT is not as smooth with the higher bit rate.

Also I can not copy the files to the external hard drive. (error code 0) A new problem.

Solved (error code 0) The clip has to be unlocked prior to going into compressor

Last edited by Paul Cronin; November 25th, 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: solved error code
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #81
Inner Circle

By the way the error code 0 was due to ProRes HQ increasing the file size over the 3.5GB, so the Fat32 drive I have formated on my Mac would not accept the larger files. Lesson learned if you do this method make sure you keep your files under the Fat32 3.5GB limit.

Again Aaron thanks for you help with the Final Cut to Premier Pro PC transfer.
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #82
Major Player

Paul, the smoothness issue is the higher bitrate creating a larger file, probably running into a disk i/o constraint. Quicktime may stutter on playback but they should playback fine in FCP, since FCP can dynamically adjust quality so it plays back smoothly.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #83
Inner Circle

Agree Aaron the disk i/o seems to not keep up at the bit rates over 100Mbps. Hope Premier Pro does not have a issue.
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #84
Major Player

Unfortunately Paul, I don't think Quicktime can do the dynamic quality adjustment on playback like FCP can. From what I've been able to uncover, the dynamic quality adjustment on playback is built into the ProRes codec but no apps, other than FCP seem to actually do the dynamic quality adjustment. None that I've used at least.
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #85
Inner Circle

Agreed I have found the same that it has to be on a FC timeline to play over the 100Mbps back smooth.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey