Adobe CS3/CS4 + MainConcept = Great News at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Adobe CS3/CS4 + MainConcept = Great News

Dear Friends,

I am very happy to announce that MainConcept has released version 4.1 of their MPEG Pro HD 4 Plug-In for the Windows version of Adobe CS3 and CS4.

This version fully supports the files created by the nanoFlash and Flash XDR.

MainConcept and Convergent Design have been working together for some time to achieve this goal. (Of course, MainConcept did almost all of the work, we just supplied test files!)

Thus, MXF files created in the nanoFlash in version 1.0.112, or before, should be fully supported in CS3 and CS4, under Windows, when the MainConcept Plug-In, Version 4.1 or higher is installed.

The normal price of the the MainConcept Plug-In is $359.

For owners of the Flash XDR and nanoFlash, Convergent Design and MainConcept have worked out a special price break - $199 (US).

The details are on the flyer that I have attached.

Please note that one can download a demo version of this new software from:

MainConcept: MPEG Pro 4 HD Plug-In for Adobe Premiere Pro

Note: Our next firmware release will change our file format to the Sony Optical Disk file format. MainConcept has test files for our new format and will release an upgrade for their Plug-In as soon as possible. Thus, Adobe CS3/CS4 + MainConcept Plug-In users will want to stay on our 1.0.112 for a little while.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US_Letter_MPEG_Pro_HD_4_XDCAM_Plug-In1.pdf (1.55 MB, 984 views)

Last edited by Dan Keaton; November 5th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Any word of when this plug in will support CS3/4 MAC versions?
Checked their site and no mention of a MAC version coming.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear John,

I just sent an email to MainConcept.

It is almost the end of the day in Germany, and it is already too late for Japan, so it may be a while before I know the answer.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I took advantage of the MainConcept and Convergent Design discount offer to purchase the plug-in required to run PC-based PPro CS4 with the CD high bit-rate MXF files. I can report that the download, registration, and installation went without a hitch. The choice of which codec to use is a bit inscrutable as there is nothing labelled for Convergent Design, but the choice I finally made (XDCAM EX 35Mbps variable bit-rate) seems to work just fine.

My first test of the material shot today looks great. PPro seems not to have any problem with the files, but the computer does take a while to render.

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,
Note: Our next firmware release will change our file format to the Sony Optical Disk file format. MainConcept has test files for our new format and will release an upgrade for their Plug-In as soon as possible. Thus, Adobe CS3/CS4 + MainConcept Plug-In users will want to stay on our 1.0.112 for a little while.
Dan,

Do you have any file samples that I can test on the Axio? Should work fine (but more dangerous words were never spoken.)

David
AllinOneFilms.com
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear David,

Yes, they are all here in this post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...atibility.html
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I tried the 100mbps long GOP and the 160 Mbps iframe. Both work fine in Axio.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

BTW out of curiosity which camera were the files shot with?
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear David,

I am sorry, but at this time I do not have that information.

These may be files that we have on our website, and there may be more information there.

Please go to the nanoFlash Product Page, or maybe the Flash XDR Product Page. You may be able to recognize the files from the descriptions. Additional camera information is there.

HDV To HD-SDI Video Converters Professional Video Equipment HDMI To HD-SDI Television Studio Equipment
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Major Player

I've paid too much attention to this thread since I don't use Premeire but today I'm paying attention because I've spent the last two hours trying to get my files to work in Premeire and now I'm realizing my guy needs to spend $200 in order for this to work.

Either that or take degraded files that are recompressed. So frustrating.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Ok, I've officially wasted an entire day trying to export an XDR clip so that the Adobe Premiere guy can edit it. He doesn't want to buy a $200 plugin in order to edit a clip.

Does anyone know of settings that are known to work for exporting an XDR Quicktime to something that Adobe Premiere can read without needing to purchase a plugin?

This is ridiculously frustrating. I had no idea that editing these clips in Premiere was such a pain in the ass.
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Aaron,

Adobe's Premiere Pro, part of CS3 and CS4, does not support Sony's XDCam 4:2:2 codec.

Thus, if one creates high quality files, from the Sony PDW-700, the PDW-F800, the Flash XDR or nanoFlash in 50 Mbps or higher 4:2:2, then Adobe's Premiere Pro can not use the file.

Adobe has announced to us that their next Premiere Pro, in CS5 will support the 4:2:2 codec.

Obviously, this is a serious limitation in Premiere Pro. This is not a problem with just our files, but with files from Sony's XDCam 4:2:2 files also. This is frustating for both Sony and us.

We have been working with both Adobe and MainConcept to solve this problem.

One solution is to use MainConcepts Plug-In for Adobe CS3/CS4 which is normally $359, which MainConcept reduced to $199 for owners of the Flash XDR and nanoFlash. This works on Windows computers only.

Another solution is to shoot in 35 Mbps 4:2:0 in the Flash XDR or nanoFlash. This mode is supported by CS3/CS4. This is a lower quality solution, so this is not a very attractive or meaningful, but it is an option.

Note: This is not confirmed, but I heard that if one has a Mac with Final Cut Pro and Adobe CS3 or CS4, then the Sony 4:2:2 files are usable.

It would be great if anyone with this combination could report if this is true or not.
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #13
Major Player

That's good info Dan. I've already shot this project though. I need to convert the 100Mbs footage I have into something he can edit.

Does anybody have any recommendations. I've already tried every codec that I thought should work.
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Have you tried transcoding the clip to DVCProHD? It's probably your best bet.

David
AllinOneFilms.com
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Dear Aaron,

We will be happy to assist in any way possible.

If you send us the footage, we can play it out from a Flash XDR or nanoFlash into another Flash XDR or nanoFlash, re-recording your footage in any format you desire.

But, editing in CS3/CS4 without the MainConcept Adobe Pro HD 4 Plug-In limits your high quality choices at this time.

Your footage can be edited in Sony Vegas (Long-GOP only) and Edius.

Shortly, we expect our File Converter to be able to take your existing footage and convert it to Sony Optical Disk format. This, then allows, your MXF footage to be used in Final Cut Pro with the free Sony FCP Plug-in.

There may be other options.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey