Nanoflash: >2 channels of audio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #16
Major Player

Hello Mike,
I would love to be able to work with 8-channel audio for live events this would allow us to do the final mixdown in post.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Just a quick update on the planned 8-channel audio support, which is planned for a December release. It now looks likely that we can add two channels of analog audio to the two channels of HD-SDI embedded audio, thus creating a 4-channel recorder.
Yay! and Bravo!

David
AllinOneFilms.com
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Now I'm wondering about the use as a multi-track audio recorder. I've done a lot of those multi-camera shoots where we could have used more channels to record audio than were available on any or all of the VTRs available.

So, the questions are:
  • How does one get multi-channel audio into the nano (or FlashXDR) via the SDI input without using a camera to do the embedding? Are there inexpensive multi-channel audio embedders available?
  • Will an embedder add the necessary info for the SDI stream so that a video source isn't necessary?
  • Can the nano record audio without video now through the analog input?

Sorry about the elementary questions. Embedding and de-embedding isn't something I've done without the help of a camera, which does all of that for me.
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

The nanoFlash is not designed as a stand-alone multi-track audio recorder.

The major limitation is that we require video to record audio. Obviously we could change this in the future, but we are working on other features at this time.

The plan is to record up to 8 channels of audio from the HD-SDI (and I assume HDMI, but have not confirmed this fact at this moment).

And we plan to be able to add the 2 channels of analog audio to supplement the audio coming in via the HD-SDI (and I assume HDMI).

Most cameras send two channels of audio over the HD-SDI or HDMI.

Some higher end cameras send four or more channels over the HD-SDI.

HDCam SR tape decks and other high-end sources can send many channels of audio over HD-SDI.

HD-SDI audio embedders can add multiple channels of audio to an HD-SDI signal.

We expect the most common cases will be a camera with two or four channels of audio being sent over HD-SDI, which we can supplement with our analog audio inputs (24-bit/48K/2 channel/mic or consumer line level) to create 4 or 6 channels.

Another case will be the record the output of an HDCam SR deck, with up to 8 channels of audio, to a nanoFlash for projection of a feature film for projection. This is a great way to project for film festivals, audience screening, and normal film projection.

With our 100/140/180 Mbps Long-GOP modes, one can record and playback exceptional quality video for projection. There are quite a few advantages to have all all solid-state, no-moving parts, reliable playback device such as the nanoFlash.

For your questions:

1. Yes, there are HD-SDI audio embedders available, but we need a video signal also, at least at this time.

2. We need video along with the audio.

3. No.

I hope this helps.
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Dan,

Thanks for all of the extra info besides just the short answer... very helpful, as always.

Steve
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #21
Major Player

"Another case will be the record the output of an HDCam SR deck, with up to 8 channels of audio, to a nanoFlash for projection of a feature film for projection. This is a great way to project for film festivals, audience screening, and normal film projection."

If the theater chains ever finally make the change to digital projection, can you imagine the cost savings of using compact flash cards and a nano flash for playout?
-no more film stock costs
-no more production of multiple 35mm copies for distribution
-no more shipping of reels 2 ways
-no more physical film damage or degraded viewing from repeated runs through the film projector mechanical path
-lower maintenance costs of projection equipment with the removal of mechanically moving parts
-possibly an encryption method at both ends to foil piracy?
John Richard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey