Nanoflash: >2 channels of audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Nanoflash: >2 channels of audio

Is it possible to record the two channels of audio from SDI/HDMI as well as the two channels from the Nanoflash audio input jack simultaneously into a single file with four channels of uncompressed audio?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Gints,

We are researching this.

If at all possible, we will be adding this feature. This is not a promise, but this is our goal.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dan,

I think this has been addressed elsewhere in the forum, but I don't remember where it was so I'll ask again here.

Is CD planning to add the third and fourth audio channels via the SDI stream in an update soon? For cameras that allow access to all four channels discretely, not being able to transmit all four channels to the nano is serious problem.

Honestly, it isn't often that I record something different to all four channels, but it does happen occasionally. What does happen quite often is that I set manual levels with no limiter on channels 1 & 2, while channels 3 & 4 are set to record the same thing with limiters and/or auto level as a safety measure.
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Remember that audio through HDMI is lossy compressed sound. If you dig mp3 sound you will dig HDMI audio.

A better solution for a new rev. of the nanoflash would be stereo mini inputs that could be used for "balanced" audio inputs. Obviously this would require a hardware change inside the unit as well.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Brown View Post
Dan,

I think this has been addressed elsewhere in the forum, but I don't remember where it was so I'll ask again here.

Is CD planning to add the third and fourth audio channels via the SDI stream in an update soon? For cameras that allow access to all four channels discretely, not being able to transmit all four channels to the nano is serious problem.

Honestly, it isn't often that I record something different to all four channels, but it does happen occasionally. What does happen quite often is that I set manual levels with no limiter on channels 1 & 2, while channels 3 & 4 are set to record the same thing with limiters and/or auto level as a safety measure.
Dear Steve,

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Yes, we are actively working on it, it is very high on our priority list.
We have some technical hurdles to overcome, so stay tuned.
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, Dan!
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Remember that audio through HDMI is lossy compressed sound. If you dig mp3 sound you will dig HDMI audio.

A better solution for a new rev. of the nanoflash would be stereo mini inputs that could be used for "balanced" audio inputs. Obviously this would require a hardware change inside the unit as well.
Dear Andrew,

Sorry, but HDMI sound is not MP3 quality audio.

HDMI supports a wide range of audio bit-rates, word-lengths, etc.

Here is a link to a discussion of HDMI.

HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Dan,

I stand corrected. Apologize for any confusion caused.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Andrew,

No problem at all.

I was trying to word it so it would not sound harsh, I hope I didn't.

Our audio is actually very good quality. 24-bit, 48K.
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Convergent Design

8-Channel Audio to include analog audio embedding

Just a quick update on the planned 8-channel audio support, which is planned for a December release. It now looks likely that we can add two channels of analog audio to the two channels of HD-SDI embedded audio, thus creating a 4-channel recorder. We may be able to also add the HDMI audio channels, but cannot promise this just yet.

Best-
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Amazing. You are building a unique recording machine.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mike,

Thanks for the update. FYI, I wonder why you guys are spending time trying to make 8 channel audio recording available through the SDI stream. I don't know of many sources that would be able to provide more than four. If you're speaking of cameras and VTRs, I think that's the limit.

Even though HD can handle more than that (up to 16, I think), 8 channels might be overkill for 99% of the applications. Of course, I'm sure there are audio guys who are mixing multiple channels of audio and then embedding them into an SDI stream, although I have never seen it happen.

The only reason I bring it up is because I wondered if it is harder to embed eight channels than four. If it's no harder, then you might as well go crazy, eh? I'm just saying that most of us would be happy with four... I hope I reflect the feelings of the general production community accurately. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off-target here. :-)
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #13
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Brown View Post
Mike,

Thanks for the update. FYI, I wonder why you guys are spending time trying to make 8 channel audio recording available through the SDI stream. I don't know of many sources that would be able to provide more than four. If you're speaking of cameras and VTRs, I think that's the limit.

Even though HD can handle more than that (up to 16, I think), 8 channels might be overkill for 99% of the applications. Of course, I'm sure there are audio guys who are mixing multiple channels of audio and then embedding them into an SDI stream, although I have never seen it happen.

The only reason I bring it up is because I wondered if it is harder to embed eight channels than four. If it's no harder, then you might as well go crazy, eh? I'm just saying that most of us would be happy with four... I hope I reflect the feelings of the general production community accurately. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off-target here. :-)
Hi Steve-
We're getting requests from some of the networks for 8-channel audio to support 5.1 Dolby encoding. Assuming our new approach works OK, it's not any more difficult to go from 4 to 8 channels of audio. We know it's an overkill for most applications, but we do have some customers that require the extra capacity.

Best-
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Mike,

I know you guys are trying to please everyone with the amazing nano and XDR. It's great that you've got the attention of the networks with this little wonder.

Thanks,
Steve
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

I was speaking with a major studio yesterday.

They wanted a minimum of 6 audio channels. Less than 6 was a deal breaker.

Luckily, we were already working on our 8-Channel audio feature.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey