Canon XLH1 and NanoFlash Power Options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 21st, 2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon XLH1 and NanoFlash Power Options

Hello All,
I have a friend that wants to use the Nanoflash on a Canon XLH1 can anyone suggest the best way to power the NanoFlash. I have been looking for a battery with a D or Ptap without success, any info would be appreciated.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello Lance,

I've worked on this recently, for my own XLH1.
Your friend can order a 2 Cell Lithium-Ion battery and its charger there, at the bottom of this page: nanoFlash.net - * This is the simpliest way.

Personnaly I had already a bigger battery for a field LCD monitor, ( Li-Ion Universal External Battery, 3.3-14.4V ( 60Wh) for all Portable Devices) so I use it with a dedicated cable ordered at nanoflash.net with a Hirose 4 pin and DC connector. You can see it here in situation:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9850/dpp0007u.jpg
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Lance,

I made up a DIY rig from a battery charger and used the accessory plate that comes with the camera. Here is the thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...highlight=alan

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks very much guys that a big help.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Friend,

The Canon Dual Charger, the CH-910, may be used to power the nanoFlash.

This Dual Charger may be used to charge two Canon batteries sequentially.

Also, it may be used to power the XL H1 or XH G1 and some other cameras.

We have created a special cable for the Canon Dual Charger, so it may be used to power the nanoFlash.

To create this cable, we removed the Canon Battery Plate and added a 4-Pin Hirose Female connector for the nanoFlash.

This allows one or two Canon batteries to be used to power the nanoFlash.

Please note that, in our testing, we felt that it was best not to try to power the XL H1 or XH G1 and the nanoFlash simultaneously with the CH-910. The power draw for both can exceed the power capabilities of the CH-910.

The CH-910 is a very nice unit. It allows one of the batteries to be replaced without interrupting the power flow. And it allows two batteries to be charged, sequentially, overnight.

(Note: The Canon BP-970g battery does require quite some time to recharge, thus two of these batteries may not fully recharge overnight.)

We have learned that the CH-910, when powering the load, draws power simultaneously from both batteries. Thus, it does not draw down one, then the other.

The effect of this is that one should replace one of the batteries, then the other, when the voltage gets low, but not real low.

If one waits until one of the batteries is completely drained, the other battery is probably completely drained also, so replacing either battery in this situation would cause the power flow to be interrupted.

With the voltage monitor on the nanoFlash, one can easily manage both batteries, and replace one of them at a time, thus giving long recording times using standard Canon batteries.

This cable, and the Canon CH-910, will be available at nanoFlash.net later today.
Other nanoFlash dealers may decide to stock this cable also.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey