Viewing QT's on PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 31st, 2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Viewing QT's on PC

Could anyone point me toward a way to view Nanoflash QT's on a PC? I've used the Sony MXF viewer for the Nano MXF's and it works like a charm but is there anyway to view the QT's (or maybe convert them to another file format) on a machine without the Apple logo stamped onto it?

Thanks in advance,
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Viewing QT on PC with CalibratedSoftware

As suggested on the Viewing Options page of the Nano manual, I downloaded a demo from CalibratedSoftware.com
It does decode the Final Cut QT's so I can play the files in QTpro, but the demo version has some really obnoxious gray grid bars that it keeps on the screen. Was considering buying a license, but not crazy about the terms - basically a 'one computer only' license - which won't allow you to switch the software from one machine to another. I guess I'll wait and see if I really need it (one of my neighbors swears by it!) but I hate being limited to a single machine when I find myself switching and upgrading so often. Now if they had multi-machine licenses more like MacDrive I might jump on it.
I love the fact that MXF viewer from sony is both free and capable of producing an amazingly gorgeous image. Clients never cease to be amazed when I use it to play clips (or shows) on my VAIO laptop. My initial look at Calibrated makes me a little concerned about the on-screen gamma being a little mushy, which also makes me a little reluctant to jump in. Of course I could get old(er) waiting for Apple to release the final cut mov codec for pc consumption, so I'm guessing that if I really need it Calibrated will be the way I go.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Dave and Paul,

Other than Calibrated Software, I do not personally know of a good solution for playing our 4:2:2 Quicktime files on a PC.

This is a problem caused by Apple's Quicktime Player not support XDCam 4:2:2 files (unless one has Final Cut Pro installed on the same computer).

Another alternative is to record in MXF, then use "PDZ-KP1 XDCAM Transfer Software Version 2.10.0", which they also call "XDCAM Transfer Plug-In for Final Cut Pro (MAC)"

I understand that this is very nice software which allows our Sony Optical disk compatible MXF files to be played on a Mac and to be converted to Quicktime for Final Cut Pro editing.

Please note that this conversion is not a transcode; this is just a re-wrap of the file.

I hear very nice comments about this software, but I have not used it myself, our engineers have.

Of course this is an extra step.

All of our recent firmware, starting with 1.1.151 (Flash XDR) and 1.1.154 (nanoFlash) create MXF files in Sony Optical Disk format.

Here is a link to our website, where we discuss the Sony Optical Disk format, and where one can download Sony's free software:

Convergent Design - Sony Optical Disk
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with MXF's from now on and link the transfer utility for folks using QT's. Unless you live in an iWorld it seems like the best solution.
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Major Player

MOV's sometimes useful even for us PC guys

Hi Paul,
Depending on your workflow and clients, I wouldn't necessarily turn your back on the QT files. I have a client who absolutely LOVES getting QT MOV files straight from my EX1 (via the NanoFlash) because he's into fast turnaround and wants to be editing as soon as the files are transferred into his FCP system. For him time is money, and saving the re-wrapping time on the files is money made! He's insisted that I bring the Nano to all his shoots from now on. For that reason I like having a way to check the files on my PC just to make sure everything is ok.
So it really depends on your needs and clients. I have another client who takes his footage to a post place staffed by FCP iDiots- who once took several days of denial and hand holding to realize (or admit) that they could rewrap BPAV folders into FCP. I'm not sure I'd send them MXF's, since I'm sure it would take them a week of complaining (and my client asking why they can't edit the footage) for them to figure out how to get it into their system. Better to go with the flow and send them MOV's (and keep my client from getting a heart attack).
Of course it would be great if CD could also come up with a MOV-to-MXF re-wrapper that would work on PC's, but until then I'll concentrate on what's best for my clients.
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Agreed! A PC based MOV->MXF solution would be ideal. In my case I'm shooting 23.98P HDCam tape on a F900 and these files are for screening/offlining, online will use the source tape.

This is a long documentary project that will be acquiring a massive amount of material. Some screening will be done on Mac's and some on PC's. The QT route seems great if your in an all-mac workflow but that's not a reality here. The inability to screen the files may mean reconsidering FCP post and going with Avid (meaning MXF files).

Honestly I'm not a big fan of file based workflows for this reason. Sending the tapes out to have DVD screeners with TC burn-in's may be old-school but it works on PC/Mac/Linux and living room.
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Viewing MXF's

Hi Paul,
Had a slightly similar situation last year (in terms of screening), though ended up with a different multi-level solution. Documentary was shot on EX1 - clients (as opposed to producer) wanted to be able to view all footage - full res - working on pc's - basically anywhere. I ended up writing a small 'launching' database which allowed all footage to be logged / catalogued by date / city (& country) / location name/ persons ins shot / shot type, etc. Overall list could be limited by any of above, sorted in different orders, etc. Program and all footage were placed on a portable hard drive (in my case - it was 455 GB of data files, so a tiny 500 GB WD Passport drive did nicely, and we dubbed several of them so different people could have their own copies) and clicking on a line (or button) in the database would launch whichever file needed to be viewed - using Sony MXF player (which had to be installed on whatever computer was going to be used.) Admittedly this was only about 30 hours of footage, but the immediate accessability for the client to the right b-roll or interview made the system work like a charm. (Plus MXF viewer can play at full HD resolution!) Producer was on a MacBookpro without Final Cut, so he kept a hard drive with the BPAV files and used Clip Browser for viewing.
I'm guessing that something similar could be done in your case, maybe using a cross-platform database / MOV files / and the Calibrated plug-in. Just a thought... Probably easier than keeping simultaneous MOV and MXF versions if just for viewing. Or just record everything in MXF and do a conversion run to MOV and have parallel sets of data.
The thing to remember about the MOV's, is that (as I understand it) each mac will have to have either FCP or the Calibrated plug-in to be able to play the files! A client without either will not be able to play the files on a 'vanilla' mac.
HTH
-Dave S
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sounds like a great solution David but one that would require IT support as I can't devote that kind of time to making a work around. For $500 they can rent a JH3 VTR with firewire option and a DVD recorder to burn as many screeners as they want over a weekend. It's old school but it works.

If the MXF/MOV conversions are simply re-wrapping the file it would be great to be able to convert the file types back and forth with a simple utility for both Windows and Mac OS's.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey