New nano/XDR Firmware Posted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Convergent Design

New nano/XDR Firmware Posted

New nanoFlash (Vr 1.5.31) / Flash XDR (1.5.25) beta firmware was posted this afternoon. Below is the long list of the enhancements / corrections. Please use with caution as this code is still in beta. Please report any bugs to cdsupport (at) convergent-design.com

Here's the long awaited list of updates, available as a free update:

Video Enhancements / Corrections
• Added Variable Frame Rate (Over/Under Crank) option. See the latest user manual for full details. In brief: one can select the base rate “_” as 24, 25, 30, 50, or 60 (this will be the recorded rate), and the crank (preserved) rate as the number of frames per second to preserve from the incoming video. (Video->Crank) Support for 720p24/25/30 (typical crank formats) is limited - see note below. Also note that audio is muted in crank mode, and that crank mode is I-Frame only.
• Added Loop Record. In this mode, the nanoFlash will record continuously from card 1, then to card 2, then back to card 1 (overwriting previous contents), then back to card 2 (again overwriting previous contents), etc till stopped. Do not use this mode unless you are willing to have older material overwritten by newer material in a record session.
• Added bit rates in SD for MXF or QT (System->File Format) recordings: 30, 40 Mbit options, in addition to the 50 Mbit option. (Video->Bit Rate->CF SD Rate)
• Added option to select width for 35 Mbit QT or MXF recordings: Video->35 Mb 1080 Width. Choices are: 1920 (for 35 Mbit 1920x1080 4:2:0 XDCAM EX) or 1440 (for 35 Mbit 1440x1080 4:2:0 XDCAM HD). This setting only applies when Video->Bit Rate->CF HD Rate is set to 35 Mbit. Bit rates of 50 Mbit and above are always 1920x1080 4:2:2 (for 1080 sources).
• Added support for 720p 24 / 25 / 30. NLE support is limited at the time of release for these video formats with our files. Final Cut Pro supports decode at all bit rates, most (if not all) PC based NLE's support these formats (as MXF files) at 35 Mbit only. Please test with your NLE first before using.
• Improvements in .MPG file playback, including file skipping bug fixed.
• Minor Improvements in HDMI signal disruption detection and recovery.
• Added support in QT mode for true frame rates (true 24, true 30, true 60).
• Repaired compatibility with the nanoFlash SDI output to a number of SDI monitors, which had been lost in version 1.1.154 .
• Fixed 720p60->24 pulldown removal.
• Added bit rate / codec display in MXF files. This will appear in the product / version fields of file metadata (which can be seen, for example, in the XDCAM Viewer software player View->Metadata option).
• Added XDCAM Optical Disk compatibility with nanoFlash SD MXF files.
• Added 80 Mbit HD bit rate option

Audio Enhancements / Corrections
• Added 8 channel audio support with 0, 2, 4, or 8 audio channel selection. (Audio->Audio Channels Recorded)
• Repaired audio / video sync in SD recordings.
• Added audio channel selection for monitoring on headphones out, audio level meters: Channels 1&2, or 3&4, or 5&6, or 7&8. (Audio->Channel Monitoring)
• Added headphone tones pattern for recording / stopping. Start record gives 2 beeps (with increasing volume), stop record gives 2 beeps (with decreasing volume).
• Fixed intermittent audio phasing bug (where the 2 channels would lose sync with respect to each other).

User Interface / Menu Enhancements
• Unit ID may now include alphabet letters. (Unit ID is used as the 1st 2 letters / digits of the file names in the recorded files).
• Added: Delete last recorded clip on currently inserted card which was last recorded to. Press and hold the Stop key, then press left arrow key, to delete last clip.
• Added Record Duration option. If used, the nanoFlash will record for the specified duration in a given record session, then stop.
• Changed remote tally flashing light behavior during record to indicate record time remaining. Tally light flashes once a second during normal record, twice a second during record with less than 5 minutes total record time remaining, 4 times per second with less than 1 minute total record time remaining.
• Changed System->Trigger-> “None” option to “Remote Play”. With this option, the Remote tally becomes a start / stop mechanism for playing, rather than recording. Press Remote button once to start play, again to pause, again to play. Press twice in succession to stop play.

Miscellaneous Updates / Corrections
• Added CuePlay. When used, press remote tally once to cue to selected timecode + 1 in the play file, press “Play” again to continue playing. Available via Remote Tally only. Additionally, set Trigger to “Remote Play” as mentioned above.
• Repaired System->Power Saving->Auto Sleep bug, in which the nanoFlash would not always wake up in the event of a renewed video input.
• Added System->Create Settings.txt, this will dump all current settings out to a file Settings.txt . This is primarily a diagnostic tool for technical support assistance as needed. ( This file should ideally only be created on a formatted blank CF card. )
• Repaired timecode bug in 720p60 / 50 during long records.
• Slot 2 card recordings will now continue on slot 2 card until the card fills up, regardless of whether a card with space is placed into slot 1. Previously, the nanoFlash always looked to slot 1 first for new recordings.
• The first 7 characters of the Volume name of the CF card are now preserved during format. (You will need to set on a PC/MAC). If you set the last 4 characters are set to 0000, then they will be auto-incremented with each format operation. (Example Name: London-0000, becomes London-0001 after the first format). This will allow you to name each card uniquely and will also keep track of the number of times the card has been formatted; helpful for determining the remaining life of the card.
• Timecode trigger will now only trigger if the timecode seen by the nanoFlash is greater than the last recorded timecode. This will help prevent small unintended clips in timecode trigger mode (System->Trigger), which were caused in the past by the camera unexpectedly moving the timecode back and forth during power up or when adjusting the camera's internal media, for example, and sending the nanoFlash into record mode briefly.
• Jam sync repaired with 1080p24 input.
• Eliminated rare “DMARd:2200” CF card communication errors.
Known issues (1.5.31) :
• 720P24 / 25 / 30 playback from the nanoFlash is not supported at this time. NLE support for these video formats is also limited – please test before using.
• Playback of MPG from nanoFlash loses audio intermittently.

Best-
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
• Added Loop Record. In this mode, the nanoFlash will record continuously from card 1, then to card 2, then back to card 1 (overwriting previous contents), then back to card 2 (again overwriting previous contents), etc till stopped. Do not use this mode unless you are willing to have older material overwritten by newer material in a record session.
Bad idea! This is going to cause a lot of grief for when someone forgets the option is on and loses irreplaceable footage. Please make sure we can turn it off permanently so it cannot be turned back on. Especially not by accident, or as a "practical" joke.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Major Player

I know that all new features are driven from user demand but I have to wonder, which users are requesting loop record. Are people using nano for their security cameras?
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

this is great news. 80 mbit/sec recording and being able to use names for recording. all great stuff!
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Loop Record.. not for me.

Have to agree on the sentiment on this one. Apologies to CD team that works so hard to give Everyone what they want, but this is risky for many. Don't know how to make this option harder to access or harder to change.
Reminds me of the "format card after transfer" in Shotput..... WHOA! Should be in a deep preference setting, not on main panel.

Never the less, all these changes and update are superb. Now I can nano with my SDX-900 next week and won't have to digitize. Nifty SD camera is now a file based workhorse... Love My Nano!

Last edited by George Griswold; February 18th, 2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: change
George Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Convergent Design

Loop Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav View Post
Bad idea! This is going to cause a lot of grief for when someone forgets the option is on and loses irreplaceable footage. Please make sure we can turn it off permanently so it cannot be turned back on. Especially not by accident, or as a "practical" joke.
Hi Adam-
When you selection loop record you will see a continuous flashing message on the LCD screen that says: Loop Record. We think this should be sufficient warning for most users.

We are planning to add user defined profiles in the near future. This PC/MAC program will allow users to define all operational values (bit-rate, crank rate, audio, etc) and to lock-out any selection from menu changes (on the nano/XDR). You can define up to 8 profiles and upload to the nano/XDR via a file on the Compact Flash card. You can also define a default profile that loads on power-up.

In truth, the nano/XDR are becoming very sophisticated recorders, with lots of program-ability / functionality. We do go to extra lengths to make sure users can not select illegal combinations in the menu. We also post warning messages on the LCD when certain modes are selected, such as, loop record and time lapse.

BTW, loop record was added for earthquake monitoring.

Best-
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Loop Record Message on Screen

Loop Record message on screen should do it... and to think we doubt you guys!
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Trustee

Only glitch I saw (with mine) was when I used the "Storage.txt", I'm not even sure what this is for, but when I would power up the Nano, it would not recognize the G-Monster 32G card no matter which slot I put it in. If I reformatted it with the Nano it didn't seem to have any more problems with not being recognized unless I used the Storage.txt function again. It only seemed to upset the G-Monster Card. The Delkin 64G was not affected.

Also I'm hooked to the accessory D-tap of a Sony PMW350, so I don't know if there is a handshake race taking place between the SDI signal and powering/initializing the Nano when I switch the cam on.

Anyway, that's the only glitch I saw, and it seems to be okay by just avoiding using the Storage.txt function, I believe that's what it's called. It's late and I'm tired. Good night.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #9
Major Player

I think it's called settings.txt. The purpose for this is described in the manual and in Mike's post above too. It's a standardized way of getting your recorder settings to support if you need to contact support.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your report.

We would like to know more about the "handshake race" that you described with your nanoFlash and the PMW-350 during power on of your camera.

When your wake up, and it is convenient for you, could you please provide some more detail. I will send you my phone numbers.
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I didn't have time to test the new firmware thoroughly yet, so forgive me this quick question: can we record a mix of both embedded and analog audio channels? Like for instance,with the EX1 camera: 2 embedded channels, plus one analog straight to the nano?
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

No, not yet.

We decided not to delay the Public Beta any longer.

This feature, "+2 Channel Audio", is close, we expect to add this fairly soon. I expect this to be in our next release.
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #13
Major Player

With the 'loop record' feature, is it possible to turn off whilst still recording and still record to the end of the card it is currently on at that point in the loop.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear James,

I will check.

I think your suggestion is a great idea.

I will ask for this option to be added to our loop recording feature.
Old February 19th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #15
Major Player

Settings.TXT

Waow what a big update! Nice done!

However, it seems that I have the same issue than Tom Roper. When I create the settings text file on an Extreme 32BG CF card, the message "Unknwon CF" appears. If I erease the .txt file on my Mac, the CF card is still not recognized by the NanoFlash. I have to format the card in the Nano to recover it. That's not a problem, but this "settings.txt" feature is a good idea to keep in minds the settings of a shooting with a specific camcorder for instance.
For this test, the Nano wasn't connect to any video source.

Last edited by Ronan Fournier; February 19th, 2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: completed information
Ronan Fournier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey