Nano Recording from 7D or T2I at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Nano Recording from 7D or T2I

Spent 2 hrs. searching/reading regarding ability to record HDMI output from the Canon 7D and T2I and found nothing but conflicting info.

Trying to record the output of either HD-DSLR camera's HDMI output to a Nano to improve to better compression offering.

Generally appears the new T2i goes to 480 HDMI resolution AFTER hitting the record button.

Some say that the 7D remains at full res on HDMI output during recording output - but others such as Phil Bloom say the HDMI also downgrades. Ned Soltz also reports this recording down res on the HDMI due to some Euro legal requirements.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer?
Is anyone using either of these HD-DSLR with the Nano?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Trustee

Speaking for the T2i, yes it switches to 480 upon hitting the record button. Also, there is no was to turn off the focus assist box which is on while the camera is paused. Many of us were hoping to record to external sources and through the hdmi, it's not going to happen.
Hopefully the 7D is different!
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I've looked into this a bit as my simple rail 3D system is using 2 Canon 7D cameras. The HDMI output is actually 1620x910 during non-recording and seems to stay at that resolution even during recording. The problem is two-fold. The white focus box stays on in the frame until you hit record, then the red record dot appears in the upper right corner for the duration of the recording. The solution you would guess would be to not hit the record button, but then you have the white focus box embedded in the picture. The only way I've managed to get that white frame to go away it to enable face recognition. This works until a face appears anywhere at any distance in the frame, then you get a red dotted box on top of the face - so that solution is only good for nature scenic shots.

You might want to check out these guys, Syndicate - as they have investigated this issue pretty thoroughly and actually have a product that does exactly what you want. I spoke to Phil Bloom about their process a couple of weeks ago and he has their new beta software but hadn't had time to check it out yet. He had high hopes that it might work. For NanoFlash / 7D recordings to happen, either Canon has to fix the firmware (ha ha) or the Magic Lantern firmware for 7D needs to address it. Believe me, a lot of extraordinary minds are working on a solution to make this happen. I think patience will be it's own reward, in time.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Bruce - exactly the info I was looking for.

So for the Canon 7D > Nano it's currently a no-go until the Syndicate or Magic Lattern solutions get their solutions finalized. The Syndicate product looks very promising.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Thru Bruce's link, found this intriguing photo on the Syndicate's website.

It shows a 7D rig using a nanoFlash to apparently record the output. Not a lot of details about the nano to fully understand what is going on there.

Syndicate - Canon 7D BNC-R Cine HD.

Photo of nano on the 7D attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Nano Recording from 7D or T2I-7d-nanoflash.jpg  
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Of course it's nice to see that no cables are physically attached to the Nano. That way they aren't misrepresenting what's happening here.
On the other hand the cable-free profile looks very clean.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Yep - it's a mystery alright. Was hoping someone at CD was working with these folks and could shed some light on this.

It's the same CD formula but even better - if you could bypass the in-camera recording compression codec (h.264 and 50mbps I think) and instead go out to CD/Sony super high end compression choices, it would be just about the best yet. Best because you would be coming off a huge sensor. And best because of all the fantastic glass available to put in front of that large sensor. And you'd gain in the audio section as well.

I think the problems in getting out to the CD recorders are three-fold:

1. a wierd incomplete resolution going out the 7D HDMI (but better than the 5DMII and T2i)
2. a red recording dot being passed in the HDMI out
3. a white square being passed in the HDMI in the other way out in what Canon calls "Live Mode"

Magic Lattern has been working on a solution for the 7D that might resolve this. And as George pointed out the Syndicate company appears to have some solution for the red recording dot.
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear John,

We have not been working directly with Syndicate. Of course we will be happy to work with them.

I, of course, was very happy to see the nanoFlash in the picture.

We are eagerly looking forward to the day when we can receive a high-quality HDMI signal out of the DSLR's.

This will be "magic" for us and great for those who want to use these great cameras with very high quality codecs that can also record for a substantial amount of time.

One subtle benefit will be to reduce the heat in-camera.

We also fully support Trammell Hudson of Magic Lantern in his efforts.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey