Are Nanflash files compatible with TriCaster TCXD300 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I have spoken with a knowledgeable person at Newtek.

Their files are MPEG-2, as are ours.

However, our MPEG-2 files, except for our ".MPG" files, have either a Quicktime or MXF wrapper. Theirs do not.

One solution would be to play the files out of the nanoFlash into the Tricaster, thus recording the files in their native format.

Creating special versions, such as creating our files without a Quicktime or MXF wrapper is not a trivial task.

Even if we remove our wrappers, we have no assurances that our files would be compatible with theirs

Thus, the outlook for complete compatiblity is not great.

I would like to know how practical it is to play our files out to the Tricaster, as opposed to importing our files via a CompactFlash card reader.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #17
Major Player

Hello Dan,
Thank you very much for your kind assistance in this matter I think at this stage we can conclude that the two are not compatible. I do now own a Tricaster and will now have to look for a work around I will try your suggestion and as soon as a get a break from my live work and I will PM you my results.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Major Player

To add to the discussion a bit, I've been in touch with my sources at NewTek in addition to Dan's contacts. We are going to send NewTek some files as they are quite interested in seeing what they might be able to do on their end.

In the meanwhile, Dan and I had discussed what might be an interim solution-- just play out of the Nano SDI into the TriCaster and record live. A bit of a nuisance but not that much more time possibly than copying the file via USB.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #19
Major Player

Hello Dan & Ned,
I have been able to convert NanoFlash Files to be compatible with the Tricaster by using MPEG2 Works.
The only down side is the conversion time not an option for live events but for composting and editing in post it's a work around.

Original NanoFlash test File QT 100 Mpbs Long Gop 4min 41sec 07 frames 3,515,308 kb

Exporting HD XDCAM CBR 1721,654 kb
Exporting MP4 default setting 5,429 kb
Exporting MP4 max quality 3,604,063,430 kb

I have imported the native Nanoflash file and the vision looks really good but the audio is corrupted , if you only have to render out the audio it would be a very fast process. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to convert the files audio only leaving the vision intact?
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #20
Major Player

Correction to post the conversion utility used is MPEG Streamclip.
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

I would like to know how practical it is to play our files out to the Tricaster, as opposed to importing our files via a CompactFlash card reader.
Hello Dan,
To update you I use the Nanoflash as the main recorder on the Tricaster recording the PMG out and also as a feeder to the Tricaster. It works very well as you know the Tricaster has two Digital Disk Recorders for playout by using the NanoFlash on one of the inputs I now have three Digital Disk Recorders which enhances the Tricaster. Because of the file compatibility issue between the two devices the NanoFlash is now become a permanent attachment to the Tricaster feeding in vision via the SDI input the only draw back is that at this stage is to get the Nanoflash to roll when the the take switch is hit on the controller.
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #22
Major Player

Just to conclude this thread Newtek have released the V2 software for the TCXD 300 Tricaster . I have tested the Nanoflash Mpeg files in Long gop and I-frame in mov and MXF format and I am now glad to say that the Nanoflash files are now compatible with Newtech's Tricaster TCXD300 V2. I have also ingested and edited the files into Speedeit 2 the editing software that is included with the Tricaster, I must say I am very impressed with it the files import very fast without any transcoding. This now allows me to use the Nanoflash as a feeder for playback or as a recorder. When I record the SDI live program output I now have the option to select the data rate of my choosing for export to other NLE systems. As soon as CD include hot swapping cards into the Nanoflash that will overcome the duration issue for live long duration work.

GREAT COMBINATION !
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks for the update, Lance.

I had been speaking with some Newtek folks who told me about the v2 upgrade. Glad to hear that it works.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey