Are Nanflash files compatible with TriCaster TCXD300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 1st, 2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Are Nanflash files compatible with TriCaster TCXD300

Hello,
Has anyone had any experience with using Nanoflash files on the TriCaster TCXD300.
I have been informed that the TriCaster TCXD300 records and play's Mpeg 2 100Mbps I frame files. I am considering getting one but I need to ensure compatibility between the two unit prior to making a decision .
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello just a quick post to update my experience with the TriCaster TCXD300 and the Nanoflash. Hopefully this will help others who may be considering using this combination. I received the Tricaster two weeks ago and I can confirm after numerous calls to the local dealer for support I can confirm that the NanoFlash Quicklime Long Gop and I-Frame files are not compatible with the Tricaster. The only format’s that you can import to the Tricaster live for play out from the DDR is 35Mbps MPG which really is at low end of the quality scale and I would consider it not useable. I am still investigating if I can work around this problem. I would advise caution on using this combination if quality is of prime concern at this stage.
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

good to know

I have a friend doing tricaster shoots and I suggested the nano as a recording option. I am curious to know what more info you find out.

I am under the impression that the Tricaster is most happy with lower res stuff, mostly because it has to crunch it all and put it on the web in lower resolutions. Is that right? Therefore, a nano seems like massive overkill unless in SD modes and recording mpeg.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Major Player

The new model of Tricaster to which the OP refers is HD and unlike earlier versions which were WMV SD, this model streams HD.

I as well am most interested in what you find out since I've reviewed the TriCaster Broadcast and the 3Play and generally like their products.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Hello Scott and Ned,
The new TCXD300 HD Tricaster is a remarkable machine producing high quality HD pictures recording @ 100Mbps I-frame. The Tricaster could be even better by been able to ingest Nanoflash 100 Mbps I-Frame or Long Gop files. My original setup was to use four Nanoflash units one on each on the three camera inputs to record the incoming video to cover for any bad switching. The fourth NanoFlash would record the SDI program out. Just like the Sony EX series camera's recording the program output from the Tricaster to the Nanoflash produces a very high quality pictures in a format far more compatible with other NLE’s such as Final Cut Pro for quick edits without any conforming or transcoding. The marriage of the these two will give you a kick ass system for live events from capture to delivery.
I have been able to import and playback Nanoflash files in the Tricaster’s editor but the audio is corrupted. I believe the problem is it is that NanoFlash files records the audio as uncompressed 24-bit audio and the Tricaster requires compressed audio. I would be great if the NanoFlash had the option to record compressed audio. I still investigating other option.
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Hello Scott and Ned,
The new TCXD300 HD Tricaster is a remarkable machine producing high quality HD pictures recording @ 100Mbps I-frame. The Tricaster could be even better by been able to ingest Nanoflash 100 Mbps I-Frame or Long Gop files. My original setup was to use four Nanoflash units one on each on the three camera inputs to record the incoming video to cover for any bad switching. The fourth NanoFlash would record the SDI program out. Just like the Sony EX series camera's recording the program output from the Tricaster to the Nanoflash produces a very high quality pictures in a format far more compatible with other NLE’s such as Final Cut Pro for quick edits without any conforming or transcoding. The marriage of the these two will give you a kick ass system for live events from capture to delivery.
I have been able to import and playback Nanoflash files in the Tricaster’s editor but the audio is corrupted. I believe the problem is it is that NanoFlash files records the audio as uncompressed 24-bit audio and the Tricaster requires compressed audio. I would be great if the NanoFlash had the option to record compressed audio. I still investigating other option.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Sony EX3 XDCAM MPG4 files import and play in the Tricaster without any problems.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

I have been checking out the Tricaster TCXD300.

NewTek TriCaster TCXD300

Based on their website FAQ's, the files are:

TriCaster TCXD300 writes I-Frame only MPEG-2 files at approximately 100mbps in HD, and 50mbps in SD. It supports “standard” profile MPEG-2 which is 4:2:0 encoding and is widely compatible and “high” profile that has 4:2:2 encoding but lesser compatibility.

And

Audio is sampled at 48 kHz with, 24-bit precision.

In another FAQ, they report compatability with MOV and MXF.

Our MXF files are compatible with the Sony Optical Disk format.

It appears that we will need to coordinate with NewTek to determine if their is a way for you to import our files into their system.

From the above information, it is not clear how they store the audio, either uncompressed 24-bit, 48K or compressed in some format, as is used in HDV and other formats. Based on your information, it appears that they record the audio in a compressed format.

While MXF is a standard, the exact placement of individual fields of data is not standardized. Thus, we can produce a perfectly legal MXF file, and so may NewTek, but the files may not be readable by the other system.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Trustee

NewTek Is Amazing !

Hi Dan:
It would be utter insanity *Not to make CD's Long GOP 50 Sony XDCAM HD 4:2:2 files somehow compatible with the latest TriCaster. Long GOP 100 Mbps although desirable, would be superfluous since broadcast is setup for XDCAM HD 4:2:2 50 Mbps usage in all of the Sony broadcast XDCAM HD camcorders. I think this company has done it again. I remember the toaster ;-) I would strongly suspect all I-Frame QT or MXF recording done on Nano's and XDR's would import nicely into this system.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Major Player

HI, Dan

I'm well connected with NewTek so let me know if I can be of help in any way.

Ned
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Ned,

Yes, I think you are in a great position to assist.

Our first step should be to understand what they actually need. We need to know what they expect in terms of file formats.

We have, in our code, the ability to create compressed audio files. But, of course, we do not do so in our high-quality formats, we use 24 Bit, 48K, uncompressed audio.

We can easily send them some files to test.

We do not have a Tricaster in our lab, just as they probably do not have a nanoFlash in their lab.

We will be more than happy to work with NewTek.
(As always, our plate is currently full when it comes to development projects.)
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM   #12
Major Player

I'll ping my contact at NewTek and lay out the issue with him.

Ned
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Dan,Mark & Ned,
Yes the Tricaster is truly Amazing the two products compliment each other and create so much more flexibility with work flow. I hope that CD and Newtek can come up with an ingest solution for the Nanoflash Files. I have just used the NanoFlash to record the SDI program output from the Tricaster to the NanoFlash @ 100Mbs Log Gop and the pictures are truly Amazing . I found the SE editing solution supplied with the Tricaster to be too limiting for precomposing video clips at Live events. I now use the NanoFlash to record and move files to via SDI. It would be better if one can just move files but for now that is my work around. The other good thing about using the NanoFlash Tricaster combo is that you have a backup of the program output that is truly resolution and bit rate independent with greater compatibility with FCP. Thank you for taking an interest in this Dan and I look forward to further developments on this integration.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:37 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Ned and I have been in contact via Email. Ned has contacted NewTek via email. I will attempt to reach them on Monday.

We will be arranging for NewTek to obtain some files.

Also, we will engage in an information exchange to determine what needs to be done to achieve compatability.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM   #15
Major Player

Dear Dan,
That's great news I look forward to hearing the outcome.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey