Another Warning About The Locked Files Created by Nano/XDR - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #46
Major Player

Hi there

Iam new to this forum.. I have a nano for my HDX900.. Iam not an editor...

CD is very good at listening to customers.. which is great.. but if they have to add every function.. to every malcontent who sits arounds with nothing better than to think of what the nano cant do.. .. with every camera on the planet.. or everytime someone makes a mistake.. come on really .. everyone has some shots on their rushes that dont work.. so now we have to have an option to delete them.. have a bit more confidence in your work.. we are going to have massive menu,s .. the nano is good because its simple..

The nano is never going to be perfect.. just as all camera,s could have some extra function that they dont..
I vote against the menu,s becoming bigger than Dennys..

I agree with Andrew.. dont dick with the cards.. whats next .. why cant the nano give us real time legal advise.. :)
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #47
Regular Crew

My reality

My reality is that I need to trim files from the card, or the drive I dump footage to, in the field. I have had some issues dealing with this in the field, on a mac. It should not be a problem to remove some bad takes before dumping footage. If I have to wait around for bad takes to be offloaded, find them and then delete them, I am wasting time and money. Going to the source is my best bet when I am in a hurry. Unlocking the files makes good sense to me.

That is my workflow, on occasion. It is not dicking around, nor is it a lame request. It simply is a needed function and it seems like there are several people who need this to happen, including myself.

My clients don't have patience for me wasting time and money... if they did, I would deal with it and use whatever workarounds were necessary. The Nano is a great tool for me to save my clients time and money... so removing obstacles is a good thing.

I appreciate that CD is addressing the issue and providing an option. Thanks!
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #48
Major Player

Hi Mark as a FCP editor I agree with you "the peculiarity in the way the FCP application handles source TC from the XDR/Nano recorded CF card media." This is not a deficiency in the Nano/XDR but it is an issue with FCP.

I am so impressed with FCP and its peculiarities that I am in process of looking for a new NLE system the MacPro 8 core is now running Windows 7.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #49
Trustee

Avid Media Composer 5.0 All The Way 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hi Mark as a FCP editor I agree with you "the peculiarity in the way the FCP application handles source TC from the XDR/Nano recorded CF card media." This is not a deficiency in the Nano/XDR but it is an issue with FCP.

I am so impressed with FCP and its peculiarities that I am in process of looking for a new NLE system the MacPro 8 core is now running Windows 7.
....Hi Lance: Go Avid Media Composer 5.0 because not only will it run on your MAC OS (Even Snow Leopard Now !), it will handle all your FCP Projects and Pro Res 422 HQ files natively ! Media Composer will now handle QT files from the Nano/XDR in Long GOP ! You don't need to record in.MXF anymore. Stay in FCP compatible QT.

Last edited by Mark Job; May 20th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneback View Post
My reality is that I need to trim files from the card, or the drive I dump footage to, in the field. I have had some issues dealing with this in the field, on a mac. It should not be a problem to remove some bad takes before dumping footage. If I have to wait around for bad takes to be offloaded, find them and then delete them, I am wasting time and money.

That is my workflow, on occasion. It is not dicking around, nor is it a lame request.
This is the kind of explanation I was looking for to justify the ability of editing material on the cards. Completely reasonable in today's workflow with probably a good percentage of nanoFlash users.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:41 AM   #51
Major Player

Hi Mark,
Thanks for that info on AMC I do have some other questions on a NLE system for Nanoflash/XDR files which this may not be the place to ask see the Thread " NLE Advice for Nanoflash/XDR Work Flow".
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:18 AM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneback View Post
My reality is that I need to trim files from the card, or the drive I dump footage to, in the field. I have had some issues dealing with this in the field, on a mac. It should not be a problem to remove some bad takes before dumping footage. If I have to wait around for bad takes to be offloaded, find them and then delete them, I am wasting time and money. Going to the source is my best bet when I am in a hurry. Unlocking the files makes good sense to me.

That is my workflow, on occasion. It is not dicking around, nor is it a lame request. It simply is a needed function and it seems like there are several people who need this to happen, including myself.

My clients don't have patience for me wasting time and money... if they did, I would deal with it and use whatever workarounds were necessary. The Nano is a great tool for me to save my clients time and money... so removing obstacles is a good thing.

I appreciate that CD is addressing the issue and providing an option. Thanks!
Fair enough.. but I do worry that within a year the menu,s will be massive.. as every self interest item has to be included if you make enough noise on this forum.. I thought the nano was a recording device that is attached to camera,s ... simple as that.. not an editing device.. down load.. then do your editing..deleting.. etc.. just my 2 cents
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM   #53
Major Player

Just adding another .02 cents to the discussion.
Though I just about never erase anything, I think it's reasonable to have an 'erase last take' option - although I'd like it to have at least an extra layer of verification so an over-zealous button presser doesn't eliminate anything vital. Thie 'last take erase' option would eliminate the 'shoot my foot' or 'I pressed something and the red lights are on' bad takes,
I think trying to eliminate anything other than the last take is a BAD IDEA -- especially on a device that doesn't have a video playback screen built in. If someone wants to be selective in their transfers, they should use a system where they can transfer only the takes they select from their cards. There are other design/ software engineering issues that I'd much rather have C-D dealing with. This is something that can be kept on the back burner for a while.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM   #54
Major Player

my penny....

I would start with thank you to CD for listening to us and implementing the unlock option in the NF menu.
The topic about that, should be over. Its clear what we are going to get with the next firmware update.

On other hand, my believes are that some of us are pushing the envelope with requests that do not apply to everyone and are not an issue to some (not talking about lock/unlock). What I am saying is that people do not wanna change the way they work and that is a window for many creative requests, but also, for some unnecessary requests. Somehow that, the problem they experience became CD problem.

In Aaron's situation with the editor, I try to look at it at any posible way to justify the mistake as a CD foult, and all of the people I've asked for an opinion came with one answer - the information to the editor was not complited. I am an editor and I know how important the information is and I demand that. Working with big Canadian and Hollywood productions and knowing the animosity between Camera and Sound, you know what I am getting to.... information is the key. That has been said, on small budget productions, that "information" is the King.

So many cameras out there, so many different people with so many different needs in different situations, CD could not posible keep up with all the request from all over the world. NF, the way it is right now its more then good... almost perfect!
just a penny..
Luben Izov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey