EX1 Recording Questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #16
Major Player

That is the current firmware

FYI see link below
Downloads | Convergent Design | Professional Video Recorders and Converters
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luben Izov View Post
Dear Adam and Steve,
I believe you have miss understood the Loop Recording. Loop Recording, according to the NF Manual is overwriting the files without formating the card. Please see below:
From NF Manual
"....
Loop Record: In this mode, the nanoFlash will record continuously to card 1, then to card 2,
then back to card 1 (overwriting previous contents), then back to card 2 (again overwriting previous
contents), etc til stopped. The current card is completely erased before any files are written. Do not
use Loop Record mode unless willing to have older material overwritten by newer material in a
record session. “Loop Record” will appear on the screen in this mode. (ver1.5.31)"
Okay, so my ? is can card #1 be removed from the nF and copied to a computer while card #2 is being written to, and so on? And if I do this, will I get a contiguous set of files w/o breaks?

So for example, I have two cards and I'm recording 30mins/card. If can I record two hours uniterrupted by swapping out cards. Sounds extreme, but I'm working a documentary that can benefit from long record times, and the nature of the material means that I don't want to be forced to stop recording.
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Peter,

May I suggest you back down your bitrate to 50Mbit on record LongGOP (XDCAM) and not iFrame. You will still get 4:2:2 color. Your footage will still meet most broadcast requirements at 50Mbit/4:2:2.

-Andrew
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Okay, so my ? is can card #1 be removed from the nF and copied to a computer while card #2 is being written to, and so on?
Simply, you can not do that! Hot swaping is not permited as of yet.

Quote:
And if I do this, will I get a contiguous set of files w/o breaks?
No, you would crash your NF unit and most likely damage your CF Card/s

Quote:
So for example, I have two cards and I'm recording 30mins/card. If can I record two hours uniterrupted by swapping out cards. Sounds extreme, but I'm working a documentary that can benefit from long record times, and the nature of the material means that I don't want to be forced to stop recording.
Get yourself a large cards for long recordings and hope CD would be up with the new "hot swaping" option in the new firmware.
Hope this helps you
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #20
Trustee

Dan or Mike, can you guys confirm that hot-swapping is not available.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Yes, Hot Swapping of cards is not available.

One can insert or remove a CompactFlash card while the nanoFlash is powered on, provided that the nanoFlash is not recording or playing back.

Thus, if one is recording or playing back, we do not support the inserting or removal of a CompactFlash card at this time.

Quite a lot of code has been added to the nanoFlash, as part of a project to allow for Hot Swapping. But this project is not yet complete.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey