4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 example; 4:4:4 would be even nicer... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 1st, 2010, 05:49 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Garrett: I agree ! No one's arguing this fact. Although I consider the Canon XL H1 camcorder to have the finest HDV encoding quality I have ever seen, I find the image quality of my Flash XDR recording from my camera's uncompressed HD-SDI output @ even Long GOP MXF 50 Mbps to be truly superior. I find I-Frame Recording with my Flash XDR @ 280 Mbps to be utterly stunning ! By far the results look like someone changed out the internal circuitry of my XL H1 and put in very high end Sony HD camera cirucits instead !
Hi Mark,

I totally agree with you on the Canon HDV encoding. You would think that there wouldn't be much difference from one manufacturer to another but there is. I also think that Canon glass makes a difference.

I still have my trusty little HV20 and will soon try the nanoFlash with it just to see how it performs. I know I'll be limited by the small sensor but if I light the scene correctly I wonder how good I can get it to look.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hi Mark,

I use to have an XL H1a and XH A1 and will agree that Canon's HDV encoding is excellent. But, I have to say that my current setup of Sony EX3 with a nanoFlash cranked up above 100Mbps gives a truly stunning picture.

Garrett
Garrett have you compared the XL, XH and EX pictures all using the nanoFlash? I'm assuming the EX looks a little better than the Caons, and the XL and XH look about the same. Is that accurate?

Thanks much!

P.S. Oh, I'd be interested to hear how the HV-20 looks as well. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the HV-20 w/ the nano looks better than the EX-1 w/ native recording.

Thanks again.
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM   #33
Trustee

Hi Peter,

I no longer have my Canon Cameras, Had to sell both of them to get the Sony. I'll have to find some time to do the test with the HV20. I've got a bunch of shoots and edits over the next month so I may not be until after I'm done with them.

Unfortunately I doubt that the HV20 + nanoFlash will outperform the native EX3. The HV20 just doesn't have the resolving power in it's small sensor. Give good lighting I'm sure it will outperform many cameras costing the combined $3500 or so that the camera and NF would cost. The native EX3 produces one of the best pictures I've see, especially for a sub $10k cam. I actually was not a big Sony fan prior to the XDCAM EX series.

If I can find some time in I'll shoot some HV20 +NF Footage.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:50 PM   #34
Trustee

Thanks Garrett :).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey