Need to rent Nanoflash to use with Canon XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Need to rent Nanoflash to use with Canon XLH1

Do you have a Nanoflash and know how to hook it up to a Canon XLH1? I need to record the sound too, so I believe that this means taking an analog output from the Canon into the Nano.

We need this for one day only on 28th June.

If you can help out, please call three two three 345 1124, or email me at harry323@mac.com.

Many thanks.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Trustee

go to lensrentals.com or Abel Cine Tech to rent a nanoflash.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Harry,

As for audio, get a Stereo Male RCA to Stereo 3.5mm (1/8") mini-plug audio cable.

Plug the RCA connectors into the Audio Line Outputs of the XL H1 (located behind the cover on the right side of the camera), plug the mini-plug into the mic/line input of the nanoFlash.

Set the nanoFlash for

Audio|Source|Analog Audio
Audio|Analog Settings|Mix In|Stereo Unbalanced
Audio|Analog Settings|Preamp In|0 dB
Audio|Analog Settings|Gain In|-3 dB

Then set the Audio Gain in the XL H1 to avoid clipping.
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Trustee

The Same with a Flash XDR ?

Hi Dan:
Would a simular setup work with my XL H1 with RCA plugs fed LIVE from the camera to some kind of twin XLR male plugs on the other end plugged into the Flash XDR ? Would such a cable exist, or would this be a custom job ? Also, Dan, do you still sell a balanced XDR line out to twin male XLRs to go in the other direction into the camera from the XDR ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

The Flash XDR has balanced XLR inputs, the nanoFlash has one Balanced or two unbalanced inputs via 3.5 mm mini-jack.

The best way to record audio, if you have a Flash XDR, is to use the 5-Pin XLR to two 3-Pin XLR cable that we offer. (We may still have some in stock, if not, we can make more).

If you go XLR in to the Flash XDR, then out via the 5-Pin-XLR, you are using no-compromise audio circuits.

The great 24-bit audio can be recorded in the Flash XDR, then output (still great quality) to the Canon XL H1 for a 16-bit scratch track.

Just be certain not to clip and you will get great audio. As you know, with 24 bit audio you can lower the gain, to increase the headroom, and still get great audio.

You could send the unbalance XL H1 audio out to the Flash XDR, but this would require an unbalanced to balanced adapter (or at the very least special wiring). It is much better to do what I recommended above.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Trustee

I Better Get One Then :-)

Hi Dan:
OK Dan, sounds reasonable. I better get one. How much ? I'm in the middle of a big move across town, so I'll be unreachable for a very short while. I'll drop you (or CD a US Dollars Money Order) to wherever you say to send it. Also Dan, do you have an angle brace version of your XDR mount. I'm referring specifically to the lower L-mount section which mounts via the two machine screws that go into the H1's upper shoulder pad assembly. The angle brace I'm looking for would lean the XDR back toward the camera some where between 30 to 45 degrees. (I'm not sure how many degrees back makes good clearance. (??)) Why I'm looking for this is I want to be able to raise up slightly and make for better exposure to the connectors on the bottom of the XDR so that it's easier to connect and disconnect the 75 Ohm coaxial plugs for LTC, HD-SDI Input, and HD-SDI outputs when that XDR is mounted on the camera. Also I want to increase the clearance more so that when I put the the camera down the connectors don't rub up against the surface of anything else.
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

We will build a 5-Pin Female XLR to two 3-Pin Male XLR audio pigtail for you, if you wish.

This will be a custom cable, so you can specify any length you desire. Just specify the length from tip to tip.

We use Neutrik Black/Gold premium XLR connectors. The price is $44.95 plus shipping.

Also, we have an angle mount for the Flash XDR. This is designed to go onto 15 mm rails.

This is not the same "L" mount that you already have. The one you have was designed to minimize the length of your overall rig while securely holding your Flash XDR and an Anton Bauer Battery to an XL H1 or XL H1s.

Is there a 1/4" x 20 threaded hole in the Flash XDR mounting plate, on the bottom edge?
If so, then this is to insert a proper length 1/4" x 20 bolt to prevent the XL H1 from tipping backwards.

I will have a very nice 15 mm rails setup very soon. The items have been designed, manufactured, custom machined and anodized. They are to be shipped to me on Monday. So stay tuned.
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Trustee

OK Looks Good :-)

Hi Dan:
Yeah, I'll be picking up the pig tail for sure. I will have to see your new mounting rig to get an idea of what you mean. I currently mount the XDR to the lower right angle stand using the two machine screws you supplied for this purpose, which screws into the lower mounting plate the XDR is attached to. This works well, but puts the XDR too far behind the camera and doesn't give me the clearance I'm looking for. However, I think this could easily be adjusted on the existing stand by using two larger machine screws screwed into the lowermost holes in the XDR mounting plate. Perhaps I could machine some type of simple insert plate, which would go between the lower right angle mounting bracket and the XDR ? I like this mount because of the great robustness of it. To have a good strong metal mount to the camera for tough Doc run & gun situations is a must.
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

The key to the mount that you have is that it is anchored in three positions, the two at the bottom, then the top cross arm.

If we change the angle of the Flash XDR, the top cross arm will not work.
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Trustee

Upper Cross Arm Angle

Hi Dan:
Yeah it's tricky. I think the top arm could be made to work well with the XDR back at an angle - the challenge would be it becomes necessary to re-design the arms length and reach. I look forward to your new design :-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey