Is "Red-Lined" Card Defective? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is "Red-Lined" Card Defective?

I have six qualified SanDisk Extreme III 4GB cards used for the nanoFlash. And until recently, when loaded into the Omniflash Reader, they all have shown up in the initial Computer view as blue lined, but now one of the cards suddenly shows up as red-lined. prior to being opened and then copied to the hard drive. All output from this card appears to be normal, and plays beautifully. Does anyone have any similar experience, and if so, have you then found the card to be defective?
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear William,

Sorry, but I do not know what these colors mean when it comes to CompactFlash cards.

What platform and operating system are you using?

Is there a chance that Red-Lined indicates that the card is full?
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dear Dan:

Well thanks for the response and the query. I'm running a BOXX Technologies PC, i7 overclocked at 4G, 6 G RAM, two large hard drives, one for programs the other RAID 0 for data, NVidia Quadro CX. Window 7 Ultimate.

When I say "Computer View", I am referring to the graphical view brought up showing, for instance, each drive with a horizontal blue bar filling part of an otherwise blank bar, illustrating how much of the drive is written, and this includes the nano readers, BD and DVD drives, if they have a disc loaded. The card in question is close to but not at capacity. Two other cards are similar in written/total capacity configuration and show up with blue bars and not the nefarious red bar of this one card, which as I indicated, appears to be otherwise functioning normally.

Sooooooo, I will just erase the subject card and make some test recordings, and determine if the card records competently or not. Again, thanks for your prompt attention to this.

William Urschel
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear William,

I am assuming that the Red color of the line indiciates that the card is full or nearly full.

After you have transferred the footage, then you could just format the card in the nanoFlash, then re-insert it. I suspect that the color will change to Blue.
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Contributor

Dan is right - I assume you are talking about the Vista capacity bar which turns red when the drive is more than say 90% full. It doesn't indicate there is anything wrong with drive.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey