Problems with footage across two Nano Flash units at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Problems with footage across two Nano Flash units

I am having some problems with footage shot today on 2 Nano Flash units that perhaps others have had before and can offer possible solutions.

The one consistency with the files is that all of the files under 3.51 GB file size are corrupted (or unable to be opened).

I have loaded the new firmware into both units and this is the first shoot with it. It's a 3D shoot so that is why there are matching file numbers but the problems span both NF drives and these are the original CF cards not a transfer.

Recording details: I-Frame Only 140MBs

I'm hoping these files are salvageable, so if anyone can offer any advice to help out I would be most grateful and I'll monitor this thread hourly. Fortunately I am in Los Angeles where the C-D team is hanging out this weekend for Cine Gear show so I will be showing them the CF cards probably tomorrow. Again, if anyone has had a similar problem in the past, please advise as to a procedure to rescue the data files.
Attached Thumbnails
Problems with footage across two Nano Flash units-picture-8.jpg  
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Ok, I was able to salvage the files because I had not erased the CF card originals. On a hunch I put the CF cards back in the Nano Flash and hit Play. Even the corrupted files played out, so having 2 NF units I was able to run an HDSDI cable from Play NF to the other NF and Record. The files themselves were not preserved as one clip ran into the other but the timecode being synchronous should make matching the two data streams easy in post.

Whew! Client is happy, and I am reverting back to the previous firmware. I'll be discussing this problem at length tomorrow with the mavens at C-D at Cine Gear Expo and will report back what we find out. It appears at first sight that the transition from one clip hitting maximum capacity to another one starting up is not working properly - but not always.

Don't we all love intermittent video problems?
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Intermittent Malfunctions (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
Don't we all love intermittent video problems?
....Hey Bruce: Yeah, I especially dread this when you're bit by one on a paying job in front of a paying client ;-) !
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

And Mark don't forget this...

Say you are not only renting the Nano but a camera package also. Your files are corrupted. Goodbye camera rental,,,

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Trustee

Jeff Makes Salient Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman View Post
And Mark don't forget this...

Say you are not only renting the Nano but a camera package also. Your files are corrupted. Goodbye camera rental,,,

Jeff
...Hey Jeff: Oh man ! I forgot about that ! :-( OK - Now that's reeeeeeeally not funny at all. I was happy for Bruce being able to salvage his files to serve his client. Whenever I read such a scenario happening to anyone here, then I cringe and feel real sympathy for them, because that's a conversation no one ever wants to have with any client ever !
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

We had a situation yesterday where we recorded MXF, L-GOP, 50Mbs using 1.5.249. Avid and the Sony software would not open the files. We rolled back to 1.5.126 and the problem was solved.

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Really Hard to Live With

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman View Post
We had a situation yesterday where we recorded MXF, L-GOP, 50Mbs using 1.5.249. Avid and the Sony software would not open the files. We rolled back to 1.5.126 and the problem was solved.

Jeff
...Hi Jeff:
Was that a public beta which gave you the headache or was this a production firmware ? I have a *VERY* high profile documentary shoot here in Montreal dealing with the rehabilitation and re-integration of the homeless this September through late November, and the producer has called for Sony XDCAM HD 4:2:2 50 Mbps . MXF, so I will be shooting with my Canon XL H1, wireless capsules to receivers, and phantom shotgun mics powered from my Flash XDR and all captured straight to Flash XDR with HDV cassette tape backup simultaneously rolling. I'm testing everything in advance and biting my fingers ! This is a real career maker or breaker folks ! We have a lot of run and gun and we don't want to go in to situations with anything any bigger or higher end, so we think this hard core documentary shot on the streets will be a good test for CD's first generation SSDR. There are a few long interviews, so we are happy to be populating 4 slots instead of 2 with CF cards. We are going to use XDR production firmware 1.5.55 and hope for the best :-)
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
because that's a conversation no one ever wants to have with any client ever !
The importance of dual recording - camera's native recording format & nanoFlash. Considering how many nanoFlashes there are out in the field now, there have been relatively few problem recordings with it.

However, I did have an (audio) issue once in Nov '09. Never happened again. I dual recorded with SxS of course, which recorded perfectly and modifying your statement quoted above, "that's a conversation that I never had to have with my client!!!!"
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Trustee

Having A Backup Always is a Good Idea !

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
The importance of dual recording - camera's native recording format & nanoFlash. Considering how many nanoFlashes there are out in the field now, there have been relatively few problem recordings with it.

However, I did have an (audio) issue once in Nov '09. Never happened again. I dual recorded with SxS of course, which recorded perfectly and modifying your statement quoted above, "that's a conversation that I never had to have with my client!!!!"
...Hey David: Yes, a redundant system, simultaneously recording to another medium just in case is always - I say always a smart move ! Just think - it could have been the other way around ! Your camera recording could have somehow failed (However unlikely this would be) and then you would have the Nano Flash files as your backup :-) Always cover your Tucass !!!!!
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Major Player

My tests reveal that the custom remote cable is the likely suspect. It is corrupting files on the Stop signal. C-D tech support is working on it now. If you have a remote cable for controlling two NF units I would suggest not upgrading to the .249 firmware until they have this ironed out.

I can only say that if Sony, Panasonic, or any other media equipment company had even a fraction of the customer concern and attention that Convergent Designs displays, the media creation world would be a far better and more pleasant place. My hat is off to C-D for their tireless diligence and attention spent to trying to resolve this strange and troubling problem.

Last edited by Bruce Schultz; June 6th, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

We have been working with Bruce since he reported this problem.

Based on Bruce's input, we tested our Public Beta firmware, 1.5.249, with a wired remote control.

Bruce was reporting that the problem only occured when he was using the remote control, not when starting/stopping using the Record Button. Since he was recording 3D, the Trigger on Incrementing Timecode was not tested.

We tested this in our lab yesterday.

We were able to duplicate the problem if System|Trigger was set to "Remote" (Trigger via the Remote Control Only).

During our testing, we could not get it to fail using "Remote and Record" menu option, which allows the nanoFlash or nano3D's to be triggered via either the Remote Control or the Record Button.

Our engineers will be investigating the code today to determine the problem.

This will be fixed in the next release.
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I have been informed by Jeff Silverman, that he had problems using Public Beta 1.5.249, when using the menu option "Remote and Record Button".

Yesterday, in our lab, testing 1.5.249, in our lab, we were able to recreate the failure when using "Remote" option.

But, in our limited testing, we did not see any failures with the "Remote and Record Button" option.

So, with Jeff's information, we now know that the problem can occur with either of these Trigger options.

At this time, we do not know if problem occurs just when the Remote Control is used.

At this time we have no reports of this failure when the Record Button is pressed.

We believe this failure is caused by our failure to record the "Quicktime" footer at the end of the file.

If this failure does occur, we can salvage the file without any loss of footage.

Note: Our Public Beta's are not intended for production use, they are for testing of the new firmware.
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi Dan

What is the production approved firm ware again?

Thanks
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

The "Production Level" firmware is currently 1.5.126.

We found and fixed the problem reported in this thread yesterday.

We also fixed the "On-Screen Tally" light.

Our goal is to post a new firmware update as soon as we complete the testing of this new release.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
We also fixed the "On-Screen Tally" light.
Is the tally gonna work on HDMI-out, too?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey