Can't Import XDR MXF Clips Into After Effects CS4: Please Help ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Trustee

Can't Import XDR MXF Clips Into After Effects CS4: Please Help !

Hi Nano/XDR Users:
I've hit a significant snag in trying to import raw XDCAM HD 4:2:2 1920 x 1080 23.98 fps (Canon 24 F recorded with XDR pull down removal) Long GOP 50 Mbps into my Adobe After Effects CS4 running on my 24 inch iMAC version 9.1 with Snow Leopard ver. 10.6.4. Now, I did check the Adobe online help, which goes out of its way to say one can in fact import XDCAM Long GOP 50 Mbps clips directly into AE CS4, yet when I try I receive an error message indicating I'm trying to import an unsupported format. (?????) Can anyone who's familiar with AE assist me ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I had the same problem with CS5 a couple posts down, the solution ended up being:

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode Overview
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Trustee

No Go :-(

Hi Jarred:
I downloaded and tried the pluggin, but it didn't change a thing. After Effects still can't recognize my flash XDR .mxf clips when I try to import them :-( Total drag man. I don't know what's wrong ?
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Could you please call our main office in the morning?

Tommy may be able to assist you.

I will be traveling to Los Angeles early in the morning.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Trustee

What's Tommy's Number

Hi Dan:
Sure thing. What's Tommy's contact Tel @ Convergent Design ? EDIT: Oh yeah, call the main office - I suppose I should get some sleep this month ;-)
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Our main office number, in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, is ++ 720 - 221 - 3861.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Trustee

Thank You Tommy

Hi Dan & Tommy:
Thanks Tommy for the Sony XDCAM Transfer software application work around for importing my Flash XDR recorded .MXF clips into .MOV clips as a one to one copying - NOT a re-transcode like it is in Final Cut Pro ! Thou shalt NOT *re-compress thy clips - EVER ! However, I now have another problem. I downloaded and installed The Calibrated Demo XDCAM FCP pluggin, and now I can't get rid of it ! I'm having to hack down into my Mac OS and manually dig out all of its not so wonderful *hidden libraries. I keep getting this Calibrated Water Mark across any imported XDCAM HD clips in Adobe After Effects CS4 ! :-(
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

Sorry for any confusion or troubles.

All you need to do is:

1. Delete the Calibrated folder from the /Applications directory
2. Delete the CalibratedXDCodec.component from the /Library/QuickTime folder (that's the Library folder on your Main Harddrive not the Library folder in your User directory)
3. restart

and you should be good.

Also - from reading the above posts - I just wanted to quickly clarify - Calibrated{Q} XD Decode is for XDCAM HD/EX MOV files - not MXF files - and it's not meant for computers with Final Cut Pro (as that comes with Apple's own XDCAM codec)

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Last edited by Greg Booth; August 26th, 2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: For clarification -
Greg Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Trustee

Thank You For The Important Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Booth View Post
Hi Mark,

Sorry for any confusion or troubles.

All you need to do is:

1. Delete the Calibrated folder from the /Applications directory
2. Delete the CalibratedXDCodec.component from the /Library/QuickTime folder (that's the Library folder on your Main Harddrive not the Library folder in your User directory)
3. restart

and you should be good.

Also - from reading the above posts - I just wanted to quickly clarify - Calibrated{Q} XD Decode is for XDCAM HD/EX MOV files - not MXF files - and it's not meant for computers with Final Cut Pro (as that comes with Apple's own XDCAM codec)

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software
Hi Greg:
Thanks for the clarification regarding *Step 2.* The deletion of the file from the *Main Library *Quicktime Folder* was not even in the uninstall instructions from the manufacturer ! - Pretty strange if you ask me. As soon as I deleted this file, then rebooted, all was well. Tommy Schell gave me an important tip this morning regarding my original problem of not being able to import my Flash XDR MXF Long GOP 50 Mbps XDCAM HD 4:2:2 clips directly into After Effects (Despite the manufacturer's written assertions you can) . Simply download and install the free Sony XDCAM Transfer application. When you import MXF clips the app does a straight 1:1 *copy of your original.MXF clips and strips off the .MXF container leaving a pristine Quicktime file *which can indeed be imported* into After Effects without difficulty.
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Mark.

Per your previous post:

"Thanks for the clarification regarding *Step 2.* The deletion of the file from the *Main Library *Quicktime Folder* was not even in the uninstall instructions from the manufacturer ! - Pretty strange if you ask me. As soon as I deleted this file, then rebooted, all was well. "

Once again sorry for any confusion - where did it not list this so that I can correct it. I checked the online User Guide (this should be the same User Guide that's installed with our software) here where we list the Mac OSX uninstall instructions at the bottom of page 6:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/do...-UserGuide.pdf

"Uninstalling on Mac OSX
To uninstall Calibrated{Q} XD Decode on a Mac Computer:
1. If no other Calibrated Software is installed, then delete the directory:
/Applications/Calibrated
2. If other Calibrated Software is installed, then only delete:
a. /Applications/Calibrated/Applications/Options/CalibratedQXDOptions.app
b. /Applications/Calibrated/Plugins/QuickTime/CalibratedXDCodec.component
c. /Applications/Calibrated/Docs/ Calibrated(Q}XD-UserGuide.pdf
3.Delete the file: /Library/QuickTime/CalibratedXDCodec.component (that’s the Library folder on the Main Harddrive NOT the Library folder in the User Directory)
4.Restart your computer."

We do state where the codec is installed in Step 3 - was this different information than what you received? Please let me know so I can correct it.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software
Greg Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Trustee

Oops ! :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Booth View Post
Hi Mark.

Per your previous post:
We do state where the codec is installed in Step 3 - was this different information than what you received? Please let me know so I can correct it.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software
....Hey Greg:
You are quite correct ! This step # 3 *was in the user guide's uninstallation procedure from the user guide. My bad. I snoozed through the uninstallation process. ;-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey