Power options... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 1st, 2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Power options...

I bought a Nanoflash, but I didn't research the power options beforehand. Guess I was subconsciously under the illusion that there was an internal battery in there!

Anyhow, I bought a XLR to Nanoflash power cable from naoflash.net, again I guess that I didn't fully research this. I presumed that this would power the XLR from the phantom power of the camera. However, once the cable arrived I realized it is a 4 pin XLR. Does anyone know in what circumstances this cable would actually be used to power a Nanoflash?

Is there a practical way to power the unit from a standard camera? I have something like 20 batteries for my Canon, so I am reticent to start investing in a new D-tap battery system unless it is an absolute last resort...

I had a look at the external batteries on nanoflash.net, but I am wondering about how to attach them (tape or velcro could be messy solution I suppose).
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Simon,

We are very sorry for the misunderstanding.

Camera's that support Phantom Power, typically (today) put out +48V phantom power.

But this is for microphones only, and this is almost always less than 10 milliwatts of power.

Phantom Power can not be used to power a nanoFlash or even a very low power wireless mic receiver, just microphones.

And the power cable that you purchased is 4-Pin XLR, thus it is not even possible to mate it to the 3-Pin XLR Microphone input.

I have spoken to Rick Kelly of www.nanoFlash.net, and he will do his best to help you. He is also adding a warning to his website to prevent this misunderstanding.

Rick does offer a method to power the nanoFlash with the Canon batteries. However, you may still want to consider the advantages to the very light-weight, 2-Cell Lithium Ion batteries. These power the nanoFlash for approximately 3 hours.
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Major Player

4 pin power

Hi Simon,
the 4-pin XLR has been an 'industry standard' for 12v power for a long time. My old (Aaton) film camera ran on 12v using the 4 pin XLR, and most shoulder-mount size video cameras take 4 pin external power.
I also have Anton-Bauer to 4-pin adapters which I user to power either field monitor(s) or the NanoFlash on location, using Hytron 140 (or older Hytron 100) batteries. These are particularly useful when keeping the Nano near the monitors for use as a 'Client Playback System'.
Your post asks about 'standard' cameras -- typically I would think of that as being an HDcam, XDcam, or Varicam series camera, which I typically power with Anton Bauer bricks, the battery mount for which includes a Bauer powertap (D-tap) power plug. I used to use a Bauer adapter on XL1's as well, so I'm assuming there is one that works with some of the other Canons. It's worth having a couple of D-Tap to Nano power adapters for times when you're on a larger camera.
When using with a smaller camera which doesn't have a standard power output adapter, you may want to consider the small rechargeables to power the NanoFlash separately.
Interestingly enough last weekend I was doing a shoot on which the sound man rigged my EX1 with a 2-channel Lectro audio receiver - for which he had built a small power supply (taking 2x9v batteries) inside an altoids box. It got me thinking that something like this could be really useful as an on-location power backup for the NanoFlash, since it was small and light and took store-bought batteries. The Nano is not a power fiend, so I'm guessing you could get at least a couple of hours out of a couple of 9volts (or even more from six AA's. Not pushing the altoids box, but something small and light that could take standard batteries might be interesting...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah the misunderstanding was all down to me - I just bought the XLR cable without really thinking it through, I'm kind of like a kid with a new toy and just want to get it up and running! I just noticed the photo on the website shows the 4 pins too.

I'm coming from a prosumer camera background, so I was not even aware of the 4 pin XLR until I opened the packet.

Long term I'll have to look at some Anton-Bauer system, but I guess the battery packs are the way forward for the time being. How does one attach the Lithium Ion battery packs to the camera/nano-flash? I guess strong velcro is the best way?
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

We have built, and can sell, simple 8-Cell AA battery packs with the proper cable for the nanoFlash.

These can be purchased from nanoFlash.net, but they are not currently on their website.

I do not recommend using the common 9V battery, but 8-AA's are certainly workable.

I have done a lot of testing with these.

And the nanoFlash has the build in voltmeter, so one can tell how much is left, and how fast it is going down.
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Simon,

We are awaiting on our first batch of battery pouches for the nanoFlash 2-Cell Lithium-Ion Batteries.

Since the nanoFlash is so easily powered by such a small battery, and since you have Canon batteries, it is a big step up to professional Anton Bauer batteries.
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote: - I have something like 20 batteries for my Canon, so I am reticent to start investing in a new D-tap battery system unless it is an absolute last resort...

Hi Simon,

Is the voltage of these Canon batteries suitable for the nanoFlash? I had the same problem when I got an nF to use with my EX3. I added a “dock” with an on / off switch for an EX3 battery on the side of the nF. If you are interested details cn be seen on page three of this forum.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Alistair,

We designed the nanoFlash to work with a very wide range of batteries.

We publish 6.5 to 19.5 VDC, but we actually handle 5 V to 19.5 VDC.

The Canon 7.2/7.4 Volt batteries are fine, and the 14.4 volt Sony Batteries are fine and Anton Bauer 7.4 and 14.4 volt batteries are fine. (28 Volt batteries are not fine, however).

I hope this helps.
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Dear Dan,

The point of my post was to suggest a possible solution to Simon’s problem. What I have done was to add a docking station to my nanoFlash so that I could utilize an existing battery. I was thinking he could possibly do something similar if his numerous batteries were suitable. At first I was a little disappointed that CD did not provide a docking facility as does Sound Devices on its 702 for example. However it would be hard to choose a battery that suits everyone.

Convergent Design thoughtfully provide screw holes and accurate spacing data that make such additions fairly simple. As you have mentioned elsewhere the screw holes end blindly reducing the risk of damage from overly long screws and other objects.

I am actually rather pleased with my setup, the on/off switch works well and the display is in a good position to see what is going on. I have positioned a small aluminium reflector in front of the EX3 Infrared sensor so that I can now use the Sony IR remote from behind the camera. This is very handy for my natural history recording. Finally I greatly appreciate the nF’s prerecording function as some of my subjects appear without much warning.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Major Player

The one thing that would make the Nano truly field

friendly is a good power cradle setup, I have one similar to this for Vmount with my DRDH100 for my HD251.
Provisual Online

using things like cold shoe mounts for something like this is too unwieldy,and I'd rather use it for a small G2 reciever or something for run and gun.

Maybe if you ever release a new physical model of the nano, it'd include something like the firestore low profile lithiums. I have the smaller of the lithium batteries, my 120Gb hdd is 500mha draw gets me 1hour of use, and then as it runs down, I just plug in the dtap and away I go for a whole day of mobile shooting. There's another battery option which is twice the size. So if CF cards have a low draw, this would really make the product convenient.
Or if it's not likely to have a new physical design, incorporate a lithium battery into the craddle set up, I say this as I shoot lots of time in quite remote locations, and there isn't a powerpoint handy to recharge batterys for days on end. This would to a small degree save my main batterys for the camera.
Anyway, awesome product, just think this would help just make it that much more run and gun friendly!

Thanks guys.

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Is there any new on when the new battery cover (that will be attached to the nanoflash) will be ready. I was going to order some battery packs, but I heard the covers would be ready any day now, so I'm holding off for the moment...
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Simon,

I will check and report back today.
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #13
Major Player

Simon, I also had a lot of batteries mine are Sony.

I took an old broken Sony camera, took it apart, took the battery compartment, and put it on a
L-bracket wired it up to a three dollar connector that I got from Radio Shack that fits the dtap adapter that came with the nano.

This set up will power the nano all day long. The batteries just snap on like they did on the camcorder. I am going to put an on/off switch on it next.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Any updates on the battery covers?
I'd like to order the batteries before Christmas; but it would be better if I could get the whole package in the same delivery (fed ex charged over $40 for a small timecode cable!).
Thanks!
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Dear Simon,

The last word I heard is that our supplier will have the battery pouches to us before Christmas.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey