new firmware posted for nano3D, nanoFlash, Flash XDR, nanoFlash ASI - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 19th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Anthony,

Thank you.

Please note that the Tally Light will flash when the media gets low.
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #17
Major Player

Dear Dan,
I have re installed the update using the same photoFast Gmonster 64gb card. I had two photoFast Gmonster 64gb cards installed in the NanoFlash and formatted the cards. I removed CF1 and copied the update file then reinstalled the card back into CF1 and applied power to the Nanoflash and the Nanoflash went into the update mode and again failed. It would appear that the error message was caused by leaving the second blank CF card in CF2.
When I removed the Card in CF2 the update process proceeded without problems.

Well that's a new one for me I have now discovered that the update's can not be performed with two CF cards installed.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Thanks Dan..
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Thank you!

I always only used one CompactFlash card in the nanoFlash during the update process.

I never knew that having a second card may cause a problem.

We will test this in our lab.

I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the problem.
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Extremely useful feature...

My bet, in the coming year is that a much greater proportion of the nanoFlash users will be utilizing these recorders with external monitors as these shallow depth of field video cameras may their way into the marketplace (e.g., AF-100/101, PMW-F3, NXCAM and whatever else surfaces in 2011).

Having said that, users will begin to see the benefit of "on screen" information from the nanoFlash. It would probably be a useful exercise to review the kind of key information that could be displayed on the video out from the nanoFlash for future firmware releases. Just throwin' it out there as a way to add more utility as the nanoFlash continues to position itself as a powerful production tool that trumps all the others in usefulness.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Andrew,

I will keep your suggestion in mind.

I think the On-Screen Tally Bar is very useful.

We may be able to implement some other similiar features in the future.

We are very excited about the AF100 and F3.

These are two very nice cameras at two completely different price points.

It is certainly nice for people to have these wonderful cameras available.
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #22
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Tally Light nanoFlash 1.6.226/1.6.245

Hello Anthony,

To answer your question the tally remote will react the same in both of the beta version's 1.6.226, and 1.6.245

We have changed the blinking to reflect Sony Camera's

Solid while Recording

Intermittent Blink Every 1/2 Second when you have ~5 Minutes Remaining

Intermittent Blink Every 1/4 Second when you have ~2 Minutes Remaining

Constant Blink If Error Occurred,

This will be the New standard for the remote for nanoFlash and nano3D

Best Regards
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:45 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mangrum View Post

Intermittent Blink Every 1/2 Second when you have ~5 Minutes Remaining

Intermittent Blink Every 1/4 Second when you have ~2 Minutes Remaining

Constant Blink If Error Occurred,

This will be the New standard for the remote for nanoFlash and nano3D

Best Regards
Hello Andy,

another very useful feature.

Thanks CD.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM   #24
Trustee

Flash XDR Firmware Beta Release NEXT

Hi Dan & Tommy:
Can you give us XDR users an idea as to when Record Tally E to E will be fixed with LTC Time Code Trigger function, please ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

I do not have a date for you at this time.

We know that the E to E direct is not working on the Flash XDR with the very latest firmware.

But, I know of no problem with LTC timecode trigger. Have you tested this and found that it is not work with the latest firmware.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #26
Trustee

TC Trigger with Record Tally

Hi Dan:
I was referring to the new feature Convergent Design introduced to the Flash XDR with Public Beta version 1.5.91 called Record Tally. According to instructions on that release, as well as the instructions which flashed on the XDR screen once you upgraded the firmware to 1.5.91, Record Tally does not work unless you engage E to E. However, once you engage E to E on firmware 1.5.91, then LTC output no longer functions - Thus, one cannot use the LTC Record Trigger function while also engaging Record Tally function. You stated publicly, on the Flash XDR 1.5.91 Public Beta thread that it was Convergent Design's policy to address and fix all malfunctions discovered on the public betas. Please see post number 9 and post number 3 at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...ml#post1591478 Now CD has released Flash XDR Public Beta 1.5.92 where it states in the release notes of this new public beta that this feature is still broken. So I am now confused. What is left to test with the new Public Beta Release ? I simply don't understand what you expect me to do with this new Public Beta? Please advise. No disrespect intended. I honestly don't understand what you expect me to do with it.

Respectfully,

Mark Andrew Job
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

The release notes states that the Screen Tally Bar does not work in this release, 1.5.92.

Thus, we do not want you to attempt to activate it, or test it. We know that it does not work and we documented it in our release notes.

We made a decision to release this firmware even though we do not have this new feature working.
This new feature is nice, but is not critical for recording or operation of the Flash XDR.

Please leave it turned off.

You may test your Flash XDR with this new Public Beta, 1.5.92.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; December 24th, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #28
Trustee

Test What ?

Quote:
Dear Mark,

The release notes states that the Screen Tally Bar does not work in this release, 1.5.192.

Thus, we do not want you to attempt to activate it, or test it. We know that it does not work and we documented it in our release notes.

We made a decision to release this firmware even though we do not have this new feature working.
This new feature is nice, but is not critical for recording or operation of the Flash XDR.

Please leave it turned off.

You may test your Flash XDR with this new Public Beta, 1.5.192.
…Ok. You stated it once again. Screen Tally Bar feature does not work with this release and you do not want me to attempt to initialize E to E feature. So what is left to test ? I'm sincerely puzzled? I will not even attempt to load this firmware unto my Flash XDR until Convergent Design sees fit to release a public beta with either Record Tally Removed, and LTC output function in E to E mode is restored. With the most sincerest respect, I don't understand why this beta was even released since there is nothing new to test ?
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

It is certainly up to you whether or not you wish to test or use 1.5.92.

The Screen Tally Bar is one feature that is not working, as documented in the release notes.

The E to E function is not documented as not working.

Nor have we documented that LTC output is not working.

If you wish to test 1.5.92, then test with the Screen Tally Bar feature set to off, then report if you are having problems with the E to E function, or the LTC output function, then we will be happy to have our lab retest these features.

E to E Direct and Screen Tally Bar are two separate features and I have never asked you to not use the E to E Direct feature, just the Screen Tally Bar, as it is not supported in 1.5.92.
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Why record/play inhibit?

I have a request for a change to the current beta firmware, if possible.

As mentioned by Andy Mangrum, and commented on by Dave Sperling in the "NF Cards for Distribution: A Cautionary Reminder" thread, once one puts a "Settings.txt" or any "MenuXX.stg" files on a CF card, the card can no longer be used to record or play.

This presents a small problem for one of the ways I use my nano. I have a 32GB CF card that I use to hold test signals (such as color bars, lip sync, SDI worst case, convergence, etc). It has proved to be VERY useful when I'm setting up a remote shoot for checking cable runs and setting up monitors and projectors. The "Test Signals" card is the perfect card to also hold all my MenuXX.stg files.

But this won't work. When the nano firmware qualifies the card, and sees the MenuXX.stg files, it locks out playback. Is this really necessary? Particularly in playback mode?

When I create my "test" card, all the files are contiguous on the card, at the "beginning". These files, and their position in the file system, never change. Since I also transfer all my MenuXX.stg files at the same time, they're also contiguous in the card's file system, right after the test signals (and they also never change).

Even if I were to be saving MenuXX.stg files (or Settings.txt files) in the field, I don't see how this would negatively impact anything. I realize that a fragmented file system on the card can negatively effect continuous recording or continuous playback, but saving a MenuXX.stg (or Settings.txt) file will never happen between two contiguous clips. The nano has to be in "Stop" mode before the Menu/Settings file can be recorded or read, meaning that there is a logical break in the video at that point anyway.

Example: I start with a blank nano formatted card. I record a solid hour of video without stopping (lots of nano clip files). Then I stop recording, and save a Settings.txt file. Then I record another 20 minutes of video. Then I play back both recordings for the client. The first hour should play back just fine, with no interruptions because all the nano clips were recorded without interruption. When the next (20 minute) recording comes up, without stopping the playback there may be a slight pause, which shouldn't make any difference because the two recordings are not continuous anyway.

Am I missing something here? And if I'm missing something with regard to the record scenario, can you at least explain to me why I can't have video and MenuXX.txt files on the same playback card?

Thanks for a great product, and even greater support, and hope you are enjoying the holiday season!

Billy

ps I recorded a five and a half hour opera the other day, and the hot swapping feature worked 100% perfectly. This is a huge feature for me, and was well worth the wait.
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey