Missed recordings in the cold at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 28th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Missed recordings in the cold

So I went out today to shoot some scenics of the blizzard we had here in NYC.

Upon returning to upload the footage, I noticed that the Nanoflash only recorded about half of the footage I shot. I did notice that "lost SRC" message pop up at times, but I just powered down the Nano and restarted, and it looked fine, showing it was recording.

I've generally never had any issues with the Nanoflash, but this was the first time I shot with it in somewhat cold conditions (it was about 32 degrees outside). I was outside shooting for about an hour.

Has anyone had any experience like this? I thought this thing was suppose to handle cold conditions pretty easily.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I've had my NanoFlashes down to -30f without any issues.

It could be something as simple as the cables you are using becoming much less flexible at the low temperatures so tending to pull and stress the connectors more. Certainly at -30f my BNC cables become almost totally rigid.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Michael,

I haven't had exactly the same problem as mine seems to work OK once it is up and running, but I had trouble with it not powering up after being out in below freezing temperatures for a short time. Actually it would power up but then give an overheating message and shut down. This was discussed in detail in the thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...d-weather.html
This was with the 1.6.29 firmware.

I have installed the latest beta firmware (1.6.245) and that aspect of the problem seems to be solved, at least with temperatures in the lower 20s Fahrenheit, I am curious as to what happens when we get some -0F temperatures.
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys for your experiences.

It was cold, but not incredibly cold outside.

Its just that I never had any issues with the Nano in any other environment I shot in. Just this one... literally half of the footage I shot wasn't recorded.

Fortunately, I was using the Canon XLH1s (which operated with no issues at all), which means I got the backup on tape. Love having that tape backup :)
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Love having that tape backup :)
I've had the Nano Flash units do this to me on normal temperature shoots a few times. A couple of times while shooting 3D only one NF unit recorded. Whether using my F900R, EX1 or EX3 - even the Panasonic 3DA1 I generally set the trigger to be timecode advance and roll the tape/media in the camera also. This has saved me more than once.

I can't explain why this happens with the Nano Flash except to say that in camera production you learn early on that Murphy is your co-pilot and you need to wear a backup parachute at possible all times.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Just wondering.. do you check for the flashing red light at the start of every shot.. Iam wondering does the nano stop mid shot.. or just doesnt start at the head of the shot at all.. and you arent able to check the for the red light which is sometimes the case..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #7
Major Player

I was about to post on this problem as well. Filmed some birds (Bramblings) on Christmas Eve with XLH1 and Nano. Very cold, -12C approx, not cold by N American standards but bloody cold by ours!
Kept getting message "no SRC" which would disappear if I disconnected the power from the Nano but reappear after a minute or so. BUT I continued to receive throughout a picture on my monitor which connected to SDI out terminal on the Nano, which also continued to show as recording with red lights flashing etc.

Checked at home. Tape footage okay per the XLH1, no problems as per usual (apart from operator errors).
Connected Nano to monitor which showed a blank screen, though did sort of brighten up so there was something there, as was sound. The missing picture incorporated some earlier footage on the same CF card, which I knew was filmed without problems and had been viewed previously.

Tried the Nano again an hour or so later and voila! everything there matching the tape footage.
Had a go last night from bedroom window so not particularly cold, with CF card re-formatted. Same again, "no SRC" but continued to output to monitor and record. No picture when first connected to monitor but picture there an hour or so later.
Baffled!

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Now the b----y thing is really playing up and nowt to do with the cold as in the house with central heating on.
Last night after much trying I got the thing to read 1080psf25 220M with "psf" input and "progressive" output.
Now, when powered up and connected to my XLH1 it reads "1080i50 220M". ("psf" in and "prog" out still okay.)

I don't want to record interlaced but cannot find any way to change this setting even after reading the wordy manual and f.a.q. (Another presumably frequent question: "When is the manual going to be updated and written so that "how to" and "why" is separate from technical data?")

I'm rather p'd off with my Nano. Feel like leaving this jumble of cables power leads etc etc and going to the pub.

Ron
Old December 29th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #9
Major Player

I should add that the Nano reads "NO SRC 220M" when powered up with or without the camera connected, "1080i50 220M 00037" when camera is powered up and in pause or record mode.

Ron
Old December 29th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #10
Major Player

I'll forego the pub and go for a walk instead. Low tech just me and my binoculars.
Maybe Dan will have had a read by the time I get back calmed down,

Ron
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #11
Major Player

I have sorted out the "problem" with the 1080 50i recording status. I had ticked (checked) the wrong box on "Record PSF-Progressive".

Still interested to know what the cause of the "No SRC" signal while recording was actually taking place (in the snow)

Ron

ps maybe Dan and team are having a well deserved break
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

I have never seen a situation where "No SRC" (No Source) occurs, and the video actually is being looped though the nanoFlash to an external monitor.

What firmware version are you using?

I recommend that you upgrade to 1.6.245 if you have not already.

I have been traveling, for a few days. I was assisting one of our customers for a shoot in Florida.

Some other members of our team are off for the holidays.

If you receive "No Src" with the camera connected to the nanoFlash, and the camera is powered on, then I would first suspect the HD-SDI cable.

Do you have an HD-SDI monitor?

If so, please hook the monitor directly to your camera, using the same cable, if possible.

Please feel free to call me.

What frame rate in your XL H1 are you using? 1080F25, 1080F30, or 1080i50 or somthing else?

For 1080F25 you should set Video|Record PSF>Prog to on

For 1080F30 (really 1080p29.97) you should set Video|Record PSF>Prog to on.

For 1080i50 you should set Video|Record PSF>Prog to off.
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Feel like leaving this jumble of cables power leads etc etc and going to the pub.

Ron
Dear Ron,

You have an original Canon XL H1.

This camera does not embed Timecode and Audio in the HD-SDI output.

As such, a second cable for the Timecode is required to overcome the missing timecode signal.

And, a second cable is required to overcome the missing audio cable.

These two cables are beyond our control. We designed the nanoFlash to overcome the limitations of the original XL H1. The XL H1s sends both audio and timecode over HD-SDI.

I do not remember how you are powering the nanoFlash so I can not comment on that cable.
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Major Player

Thank you Dan,

I think the problem was a duff connection between the timecode out terminal on the cam and the "in" on the Nano. The right angle connector was in bits when I removed it and when I connected the (your) cable direct, without the right angle adapter everything seemed fine.

Interesting example of checking the simple things first.

I fully understand the limitations of the XLH1 in terms of the restricted output via HD-SDI and the need for ancillary cables, including the HD-SDI cable between cam and monitor. I still hate all those bits of wire!

I am not yet using the latest Firmware so am on the previous release. Tend to wait for the dust to settle before updating.

Because I film outdoors, with quite heavy lenses, monitor, batteries, tripod etc etc I guess there is increased scope to damage connectors and connections. Would love to see HD-SDI cable that does not resemble armoured power cable.

Manual? well I guess it sort of worked for me in the end.

All the best for 2011 and don't work too hard, we need you,

Ron
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Regular Crew

After years of experience with them, I HIGHLY recommend NEVER using right angle BNC adapters, however desired. They OFTEN fail.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey