Question for Dan re: Nanoflash and Dreamcolor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 30th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Wrangler

Question for Dan re: Nanoflash and Dreamcolor

Dan, I'm using the HP Dreamcolor monitor which, if fed the right kind of signal, has a very robust processor for accurate color. I've been pairing it with the Decimator MD-QUAD which, other provide the necessary HD-SDI to HDMI conversion to input to the monitor, lets me switch between multiple cameras as well as create a quad split, very helpful for a multi-camera shoot. However I've recently become aware that the output signal of the Decimator is not of the right type to trigger the Dreamcolor engine, so I am viewing an 8 bit instead of 10 bit signal.

HP has a white paper on the requirements for the SDI to HDMI convertor here:

http://h20202.www2.hp.com/hpsub/down...plications.pdf

I'm wondering if the output of the Nanoflash will satisfy these needs and provide the signal that the Dreamcolor is looking for. If you could peruse that white paper and let me know, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Charles,

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Almost all HDMI outputs, from any device, are 8-Bit.

The reason for this is fairly simple. Most all electronic devices use commercially available HDMI transmitters. Almost all of the available HDMI transmitters have been 8-bit devices.

For example, as far as I know, all current camera's HDMI outputs (at this time) are 8-Bit devices.

In reading the spec's for the Decimator MD-Quad, they specify that the HD-SDI output is 10-bit, but do not specify 10-bit for the HDMI output.

While the nanoFlash can be used with the Dreamcolor, our HDMI output will be 8-Bit.

Your Dreamcolor monitor is an ultra-premium monitor and provides 10-Bit HDMI processing.

I hope this helps.
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Wrangler

OK Dan, thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey