VLC Audio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: VLC Audio

Dear Robin,

I am trying hard to understand your comment... "P2 here I come".

Your nanoFlash MXF files work fine in Avid. So the files are ok.

Then you are trying to play MXF files on a Mac, but the free VLC Media Player has a problem and won't play the files.

Typically, MXF files are used on a PC, and MOV files on a Mac.

For many, the free Sony XDCam Transfer Utility works on a Mac, but one usually needs Final Cut Pro.

Could you please explain what you mean by "P2 here I come"?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Dan

Just a factious remark :)... as a mac user, Sony having sites that dont work with safari.. would lead me to P2 for any future camera purchases..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #18
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Robin,

You do not need Final Cut Pro to install Sony XDCAM Transfer, Simply the Export function (To final cut) will not work, or should be redirected to your Avid System,

The Sony Utility is a much more informative, and better overall viewer / player then VLC.

Best Regards
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Andy

Ok thanks.. will give it another try..

Thanks again for your time
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mangrum View Post
Hello Robin,

You do not need Final Cut Pro to install Sony XDCAM Transfer, Simply the Export function (To final cut) will not work, or should be redirected to your Avid System,

The Sony Utility is a much more informative, and better overall viewer / player then VLC.

Best Regards
Just get a blank page after I agree to the license as before.. is it not strange that Sony has a site that doesnt work with Safari..?
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #21
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Robin,

That is rather Strange, I tried to accuses it with FireFox on Mac, and was able to navigate just fine.

Best Regards
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #22
New Boot

OK, I'm pulling my hair out here. VLC won't play audio from my Nanoflash recorded MXF files on my MacBookPro. I've tried every solution listed here and on other forums and nothing works. The closed fix came by installing the Convergent suggested Calibrated{Q} plug-in to Quicktime. That worked a couple of times but now crashes every time I ask it to read a file. I can play the cards with the files back through Nanoflash and all is well. VLC plays the video just fine and I can spot check the audio in little 3 second clips before it cuts out. I see this problem mentioned on a lot of other boards and no one seems to have an answer.

Can this really be this hard?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Tanquary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #23
Major Player

Tom --
Do you have an NLE on your computer? / If so, which one? Most NLE's should have a way to play NanoFlash files either directly or through re-wrapping.

I never got very good results from VLC myself, but how can you really blame a free program that is open source?

If I record MXF files I'll check them with Sony XDcam player on windows. They play great and look amazing, and XDcam player is free.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #24
New Boot

Thanks, Dave. I don't have an NLE on the laptop, no real need for that. All I want is a way to just check to see if the clips are OK. For MOVs it's no problem using QT. What I'm looking for is a simple basic MXF player that works on a MAC. I tried the XD browser and it wouldn't work but after reading more about it, a lot of people were having trouble if they used Safari to download it. I switched to Chrome, downloaded it again, and it works. But it has to load the file before playing it. For interviews, that can take several minutes before it plays. So for now it works great as a (slow) spot checker. I got spoiled with MOVs. If only VLC would play audio! I just want to see if it's really there.

t

Last edited by Tom Tanquary; September 16th, 2011 at 11:50 PM.
Tom Tanquary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #25
Major Player

I feel your pain .. :)
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tanquary View Post
Thanks, Dave. I don't have an NLE on the laptop, no real need for that. All I want is a way to just check to see if the clips are OK. For MOVs it's no problem using QT. What I'm looking for is a simple basic MXF player that works on a MAC. I tried the XD browser and it wouldn't work but after reading more about it, a lot of people were having trouble if they used Safari to download it. I switched to Chrome, downloaded it again, and it works. But it has to load the file before playing it. For interviews, that can take several minutes before it plays. So for now it works great as a (slow) spot checker. I got spoiled with MOVs. If only VLC would play audio! I just want to see if it's really there.

t
Actually I did get it to work ! version 1-1-11.. I only have the one test MXF file now.. but it works with that..
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #27
Inner Circle

On Windows XP SP3 with today's download of VLC (vlc-1.1.11-win32.exe), MXF files from the Nano play only the ~1 second of audio, be it from the start or from anywhere in the timeline. The Nano MXF files play properly with continuous audio in Sony Vegas. MP4 files from the same Sony EX1 camera do play with continuous audio.

Since no one has made any changes to VLC for a long time, I will try to remember a specific revision that did work. The revision #was something between 0.8.6 and 1.0 with a couple of revisions around 0.89? that didn't work.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey