Timecodes inaccurate in XDCAM Transfer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 6th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Timecodes inaccurate in XDCAM Transfer?

We're viewing our footage in XDCAM Transfer, the timecode shown is different from the timecode we get in our export to quicktime MOV. Sometimes off by a measure of HOURS, actually.

We thought it was just issues with the MOV exports. However, when we File>Import the MXFs into avid (skipping the MOV step), the timecode in Avid matches the timecode of the MOV files. I'm assuming that XDCAM Transfer is displaying it wrong, and that the other two are actually correct.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any idea what might be causing the timecode discrepancy?

Footage is from an EX3
100mbps
Long-GOP
MXF
Tim Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Re: Timecodes inaccurate in XDCAM Transfer?

Hello Tim,

a Majority of the NLE 's simply take the first timecode segment, then will "continue" the timecode based on whatever the timeline or sequence settings are, So if the sequence is 1080p30 and the original footage was recorded at 1080p24, this would obviously create a great difference over time. Or even if the sequence is set for True 30, compared to 29.97, this could cause a difference in timecode, within any editor.

I will try to replicate this in our lab as well.

Best Regards
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnston View Post
We're viewing our footage in XDCAM Transfer, the timecode shown is different from the timecode we get in our export to quicktime MOV. Sometimes off by a measure of HOURS, actually.
Why do you think the "SONY Transfer" software should be able to read the NANO files TC?
That application work for SONY XDCAM stuff.
On those files (no much idea about) the TC may not by lied on a track as on the QT files.
As long as I know, formats that need to be ingested through L&T have the TC on the metadata.
The SONY Transfer Software won't find that metadata on the NANO files.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Rafael,

I'm not sure if I understand your Question correctly, but Sony XDCAM transfer should recognize the timecode that is present or recorded in the files correctly,

Likewise Sony XDCAM viewer, and Quicktime player will reflect the time code that is actually recorded to the file,

In the NLE they will take the starting TC and generate their own based on the "project settings" which will be what an Exported file, or Quicktime Movie will show, (Which could vary from the original depending on how the project was setup)

Hope that Helps

Best Regards
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Andy,
No problem with TCs, is just that this information ("..Sony XDCAM transfer should recognize the timecode that is present or recorded in the files correctly), was new for me.
Never tried to use the SONY Transfer on the NANO. Why to do so?
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey