Anymore Updates for Flash XDR ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Trustee

Anymore Updates for Flash XDR ?

Hi Dan:
I'm shooting with my Flash XDR almost every day now. I will be shooting a feature film with it in August (28 Day Principal Photography Shoot). Can we expect anymore updates for the Flash XDR, or has Convergent Design officially discontinued all support for this device now ? Please advise.

MJ
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Anymore Updates for Flash XDR ?

Dear Mark,

Last summer, we were trying desparately to get the Flash XDR up to the exact same level of the nanoFlash.

This was complicated by the length of time it was taking us to test, and the minor problems that we were finding. Once we find a problem in our code, we have to find the problem, fix it, then restart the testing process.

Part of our team, part not associated with upgrading firmware, or testing firmware, our hardware designers were busy designing the Gemini 4:4:4. Our firmware team was working on the firrmware for the Flash XDR and nanoFlash.

Then we had to set a deadline, where we needed to start working on the Gemini 4:4:4 firmware, otherwise we would not be able to show it at the largest show of the year, NAB.

We went past our own deadline and continued to work on the nanoFlash and Flash XDR firmware.

Then we had to make a decision. We devoted our resources so that they could start working on the Gemini 4:4:4 firmware.

Today, and for the next few months, we are committed to finishing the Gemini 4:4:4.

This does not mean that we do not support the Flash XDR or the nanoFlash.

I cannot accurately predict firmware development.

We do have releases planned, I just cannot give you a date at this time.
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

This is not a good news - for us nanoFlash users, and even worse for those with the XDR.

I still hope for at least the following 3 things to happen in the nanoFlash firmware soon:

1. Crank not working in MXF format - this is a bug that should be fixed asap!

2. TC via HDMI support - for those hoping to use their nano with the FS100

3. The long promised embedded + analog audio recording

Piotr
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Dan & Piotr:
Thanks for getting back to me so soon. It's interesting to note that what folks want for the Nano Flash, we also want on the XDR as well. I suppose this makes sense, since both share a nearly identical technology. There is now also a bug in the Flash XDR's latest release firmware with the machine sometimes not booting properly, and then one has to disconnect the power and reboot before XDR finally boots OK.

I'm still hoping for the FireWire I/O and most especially for use with he Avid Adrenaline and Nitris DX boxes, the RS-422 (At least to pass the VITC TC or LTC signal out of the XDR via the usual pin in the RS-422 interface). Dan can this signal be turned on to pass through the RS-422 interface ? This is crucial to get the "Source TC" into the LTC, or RS-422 interface in the Avid hardware. Please advise.

MJ
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

I will ask our lab to attempt to duplicate your power up problems with your Flash XDR.

While this seems to be firmware release related, based on your comments, it may just be a hardware failure.

I will ask our support team to test the current Flash XDR release, and the previous release to determine if we can duplicate the problem.

I do not know what is involved in getting the LTC signal out via the RS-422. I will check.

Dear Piotr,

I tried hard to explain exactly were we were, without sugar coating it.

We plan on implementing Timecode via HDMI, and other improvements.
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Piotr,

I tried hard to explain exactly were we were, without sugar coating it.

We plan on implementing Timecode via HDMI, and other improvements.
Dear Dan,

Yes you did explain it, and I appreciate it - however, please exclude fixing the obvious error that occurs when cranking and recording to the MXF format from "other improvements".

With all due respect, Dan - we PC users do not want to change our entire workflow (recording to MOV rather than MXF, than converting all clips to MXF).

The other two points of mine are indeed about "improvements", and we'll all be grateful to CD for implementing them sooner or later.

Piotr
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

We have found and fixed the cranking error that occurs in MXF.

We are not ready to put out a Beta release yet, but this will be fixed in our next release.

You can use MOV if you wish, then use our MOV to MXF converter which works close to transfer speeds. I know that this is a work-around, but it is a solution until we can prepare a firmware release.

Thus, when you want to record using crank, you could record in MOV, then when transfering the files to your hard disk, you could use our File Converter. While this is different than your normal transfer process, it should not take much longer.
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Dear Mark,

I will ask our lab to attempt to duplicate your power up problems with your Flash XDR.

While this seems to be firmware release related, based on your comments, it may just be a hardware failure.
.......Wow ! Yikes ! I sincerely doubt that it would be a hardware failure to boot on my machine does not happen each time I switch on my XDR. I would have thought a firmware issue would be more likely, but then again, I'm not an engineer.

Quote:
I do not know what is involved in getting the LTC signal out via the RS-422. I will check.
Again, I'm not asking you folks at CD to enable full machine control via the RS-422 - Only the TC output from the playback in the box of the already recorded source Time Code signal via the correct pin in the RS-422 interface (Forget which pin number that is Sorry - But at least that is a standard in the RS-422 spec)

Thanks Again Dan,

Mark Job
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

I have confirmed, with our lab, that the power up issue is with our latest Flash XDR firmware release.

This does not affect the nanoFlash.
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #10
New Boot

Dan,

I have also suffered from the 1.5.92 power on problem and have been forced to revert to 1.5.91.
Please can you advise when the power on problems in 1.5.92 are going to be fixed.

I would also appreciate any information about any other fixes/enhancements in the pipeline.

Brian
Brian Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Brian,

I will check on this.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Peep. peep, chirp chirp...

Still using the XDR as well - it is a great unit with the more professional XLR connections.

Please don't let it drift away.

My feeling is that it is more ruggedly built than the nano ... yes, it is bulkier, but it comes with advantages over the nano in my opinion. We have both.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

We discussed this yesterday.

We will be coming out with an update as soon as practical.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey