FCPX & Nanoflash MOV Compatibitly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 21st, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Major Player

FCPX & Nanoflash MOV Compatibitly

Hi all. I am setting up this thread ahead of the FCPX release later this month.
I am thinking of making the move over to Apple, but I'd just like to make sure that FCPX will be compatible with the MOV files from the Nanoflash.

If any Apple users here upgrade (or downgrade!) to FCPX please let us know how it works out (hopefully there wont be any kinks).

Thanks!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FCPX & Nanoflash MOV Compatibitly

I see in the specs it says:

XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, and XDCAM HD422 import supported with additional Sony software.

(which is to be expected I suppose). Still it will be good to know if it will support the MOV files as they are.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Hi all. I am setting up this thread ahead of the FCPX release later this month.
I am thinking of making the move over to Apple, but I'd just like to make sure that FCPX will be compatible with the MOV files from the Nanoflash.

If any Apple users here upgrade (or downgrade!) to FCPX please let us know how it works out (hopefully there wont be any kinks).

Thanks!
FCX is already install on my Mac.
No problem with NANO-files, just with the application.
I've asked the money refund.
No way to work on that..
If in same year becomes a Pro application I will reconsider.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the update Rafael. Good to know that the MOV's are working.
What was the problem with FCPX?
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:05 AM   #5
Major Player

FCPX seems to be really really dissapointing:
The Final Cut Pro X debacle - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

For instance, it can't open FCP7 project file, but only iMovie project file…
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Major Player

There is a lot of negativity around it at the moment. However I have started to notice more positive postings around the interwebs as people start to use it and begin wrap their heads around the new way of working.

The people using Red are extremely annoyed because red files are not recognized by FCPX (even though FCP was the first program to allow this), likewise Canon MXF, XDCAM and others are not usable at the moment. At least Nanoflash MOVs seem to be OK.

There seems to be an opinion that the program is modular in design, and pro apps will eventually cater for those who need them (and are willing to pay for them). The fact that motion and compressor were available as separate apps seems to support this theory (a good number of online content producers haven't bothered with compressor as they never use it).

Time will tell.
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #7
Major Player

The first problem has been, that FCX installed on top of FC.7, without any warning.
Now I have to see how to get rid of FCX and re-install FC.7.
Thanks God I wasn't in the middle of any job.

I think there is nothing wrong with FCX, just that is not mature.
Its lacks too basic tools and operability to be called a PRO NLE.
Apple shot too fast without considering the consequences for the thousands of professionals that are in the middle of a job.
rafael
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Rafael,

Before you reinstall Final Cut 7 I would look under your application's, it should still be present, it just auto mounts, the new version on the dock (Final Cut X) but under Application's>Final Cut Studio 7 you will find in tack with all of your files, the two versions should be present on the same machine.

Best Regards
Old June 25th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Andy,
Yes, you are right, FC.7 is there, but until we found this out, I was really shocked.
I don't understand the way Apple has released FCX.
No warnings, no release-notes,..
Apple has treated as crap.

Can you imagine Apple releasing an "iPhone Awesome", with everything in (the perfect phone, everything you might dream), but you can not make phone calls?
- What is this?
- This is the future baby, but probably you can not see it yet.
- Great, and how do I call my mother now?
- Well, you still have your iPhone 4, don't you?
rafael
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Andy,

Do you have FCPX? If so I'd be interested to hear about your workflow with Nanoflash files in the program (for instance do you transcode them from MOV to ProRes or do you work native)?

Also, how does FCPX handle the higher 220 I frame codecs? Any RAM issues or crashes?
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Good that Nano.mov files are ok in ProX but then presumably there is some way to re-wrap XDCAM EX files to .mov to work ok in Pro X too ?
Stephen de Vere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Everyone,

We do have a copy of Final Cut X, as for workflow currently, all of our files import in just fine,
18Mb to 280Mb MOV

but you can no longer "Save as a Self Contained Movie without re compression,"

So nanoFlash files will be re compressed to Pro Res 220, or XDCAM 50/35 HD or XDCAM 35/25 EX Mb (This is based on whatever the timeline is set to)

According to various sources, in the near future there are updates scheduled to reintroduce back in many pro tools that are currently missing from Final Cut X, We are not aware of when this may be,

As for Stability I have not noticed any memory leaks etc in our internal testing.

Hope this Helps
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #13
Major Player

I thought I'd bring this thread back, as I have been using FCPX for the last few days.

I have to say after all the negative feedback I am pleasantly surprised. No doubt the lack of some pro features (the ones that as yet cant be overcome with plug-ins such as Automatic Duck) will be a hindrance to using the software in professional post production facilities; but for most projects it seems to be a fast and efficient video editor. I do get the feeling that this is a very modular program though; the amount of user made plug-ins is growing, and no doubt more and more professional plug-ins and apps will be available at some point.

The software is pretty intuitive once you get your head around the new ways of working with events & projects. I have to sayI have been lucky so far as I have not experienced any crashes, bugs, or glitches that seem to have been reported else where.

The program seems to play well with my nanoflash mov footage; I have only done a limited amount of testing so far though (a small number of clips ingested as pro-res, quickly edited together, and rendered as H264). It remains to be seen how it handles larger complex edits.

I am using the Ripple Training to learn how to use the software; and I would recommend this to anyone who is starting out with FCPX as it helps clear up some possibly confusing workflows.

I would still be interested in knowing is it better to work with the native nanoflash mov files or to transcode to pro-res? Is there some loss of quality in the transcode? I noticed some odd noise 'movement' with footage that had been transcoded to pro-res when viewing it in the editor, though this was not apparent after rendering to H264 (nor did it seem apparent when viewing the native nanoflash footage in quicktime).

Any other nanoflash users giving this a go?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey