Monitoring nanoFlash with Zacuto EVF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Monitoring nanoFlash with Zacuto EVF

I’m recording simultaneously to the FS100’s SD card (in AVCHD), and to the nanoFlash (in XDCAM HD) connected via HDMI. Using the nanoFlash’es HDMI loop-through, I’m monitoring with my Z-finder. The Zacuto EVF always correctly detects and confirms the signal, incoming from the nanoFlash, as 1080/50i. And here is the problem:

- When I leave the EVF “Scaling” option (in the EVF menu) at the default Auto, the picture aspect ratio (PAR) is OK in standby/recording, but just a tiny bit squeezed when playing back the clips from my nanoFlash
- When I choose Manual, and select NEX-FS100 from the list – it’s even worse, as the picture gets squeezed in the EVF to 4:3 proportion!

Could you tell me please which settings I should be using for scaling? I realize the NEX-FS100 preset have been developed for direct connection with the said camera’s HDMI output, and not the nanoFlash - but I cannot test it at the moment as I don’t have a proper (full-size HDMI-HDMI) cable. The issue I have might be the signal from the nanoFlash, but the same signal gives correct PAR at anything else I connect it to (like my Mashall 7” field monitor)…

Why is the Zacuto EVF displaying a wrong PAR from the nanoFlash 1080/50i signal? I realize this is a question to Zacuto (and I have asked them, too), but still - perhaps some nanoFlash fellow user might help?

TIA

Piotr
Old September 17th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Monitoring nanoFlash with Zacuto EVF

Anyone, please?

I just got an answer from Zacuto, saying:

"If the nanoFlash is something you specifically want to keep using and we have others mentioning the same thing we can possibly try and work this out with a firmware upgrade."

Can CD cooperate with Zacuto on this? Also, if any fellow nF user also has the Zacuto Z-finder, please ask Zacuto for developing the special setting for the nanoFlash - if there is more of us, they apparently will...

Thanks,

Piotr
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Inner Circle

May I kindly ask why CD is ignoring my inquiry?

With the FS100 camera being so popular, while- due to some design peculiarities - calling for an add-on viewfinder, I believe quite a number of users would benefit from an official statement whether CD is or is not going to cooperate with the viewfinder manufacturer of choice - Zacuto USA.

Thank you,

Piotr

PS Speaking of using the nanoFlash with HDMI input (the only digital HD output available on the FS100), I guess I should inform the potential users that the screen record tally is not working in nanoFlash. Which is a great pity, considering the TC increment record triggering doesn't' work with HDMI either - making Rec/Standbys tedious, and requiring constant checking whether the nanoFlash is actually recording. In this light, statements from CD like "we have disabled the on/off power switch because of the danger a user might forget to turn his nanoFlash on" sound like a joke :)
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Dear Piotr,

I assure you that Convergent Design is not ignoring your request, but simply most of our resources are devoted into completing Gemini 444, (Hopefully by our Goal in October)

I have forward this information to Mike Schell the President, to see if it is possible and conceivable to adjust our firmware for the Zactuo EVF viewfinder,

But you are correct the nanoFlash and the FS100 is a very good combination, and we will see what we can do.

Also feel free to email us directly,

Support Contacts | Convergent Design

Best Regards
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

What are you asking us to do?

It appears that you want us to scale the video, before we send it out the HDMI output, to match the Zacuto Viewfinder.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dan,

All I want to know is whether CD is going to cooperate with Zacuto (whose support is really great), in order to help them handle the 1080i/50(60) signal from the nanoFlash HDMI loop-through. Right now, it's squeezed.

Thanks,

Piotr
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

Yes, of course we will cooperate with Zacuto.
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Just to let everyone interested know that I've arranged a contact between CD and Zacuto, and hopefully a new scale preset will be developed for the Z-finder Pro EVF for use with the naanoFlash - by Zacuto, and with a little help from CD :)

Piotr
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Further on using the nanoFlash in-between the FS100 camera and the Zacuto Z-finder Pro:

Even when not recording to the nanoFlash, for the EVF to work the nF must of course be on; my question is this:

- when not recording, only looping the HDMI signal through, can the nF enter the Power Saving mode?

Thanks,

Piotr
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

The nanoFlash does not go into power saver mode, when the source is HDMI.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey