NTFS and FAT32 drives at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Major Player

NTFS and FAT32 drives

Can someone explain the difference.. pro,s/cons..and how it would relate to Nano recordings and using a mac for down loading footage to a mac formatted HDD..

Thanks again
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NTFS and FAT32 drives

NTFS is a more modern and robust file system. It supports very large file sizes.

FAT32 works on just about every computer on the planet made in the last 25 years. It has a 4Gig size limit per file.

The reason you don't find NTFS in more places is because of the licensing issues with Microsoft.
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Also Macs can read Windows NTFS drives but cannot write to them. They can only write to FAT32. (3rd party software may make a exception to that.)
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Will Nanoflash support UDF?

Also, with firmware earlier this year, i was caught in a recycle loop. During firmware upgrades, I'd like to save a trip back to the computer with a Nanoflash boot option that allows a choice between formatting a CF card or upgrading firmware. On one expedition in which I did not have access to a computer, I didn't format one of my large CF cards right after the Nanoflash firmware upgrade and couldn't use it at all because it contained the firmware upgrade folder. I was stuck in a reboot loop miles away from a road.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; October 17th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Very good point, Gints!
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Gints,

It would be nice to support UDF.

However, there is a tradeoff. If one experiences any type of problem while recording a very large file, then the entire file can be lost. If one breaks it up into smaller files, then one minimizes their risks.

We should give you the option to format the card that contains the firmware update folder.
Old October 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks, Dan. That format after firmware upgrade is a useful convenience function to keep some users out of a jam. Another way : to allow a choice menu to boot the Nano to boot without firmwareupgrade, and perhaps that may be cheaper for CD to develop and test.

Menu : reboot,upgrade, skip upgrade (or start without upgrade)

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; October 17th, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #8
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Gints,

Thank you for your suggestion,

As for the Copying to a Mac compared to a PC, Snow Leopard and Lion are formatted as HFS, Which Works just fine as does NTFS, the major difference being taking a Mac Formated HFS drive to a Windows machine, and being able to recognize it, as well as the File Sizes will appear slightly different.

Typically if you are backing up to an External Drive, regardless of what Type of Machine you are using (Windows or Mac) if you format that drive as a Fat 32 then you should have no issues with any Operating System, (Windows XP, 7, Mac 10.5,10.6, Linux etc)

Hope That Helps
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Sorry another question re FAT 32.. if copying a file over 4GB.. to a FAT HDD.. the file will be split..? or wont copy over?

Thanks
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Robin,

If you are attempting to copy a file larger than 4 GB to a FAT 32 Drive, you will be unable to copy the file.

Note: I am assuming that you are speaking of a file other than a nanoFlash file, since our files, and our our utilities such as our file converter automatically handle this automatically for you.
Old November 12th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Dan

Well talking generally .. but I would be using my nanoflash.. so I take my CF card from the nanoflash and down load to a FAT 32 formatted HDD.. everything will be ok.. is that because the nanoflash separates the files as it records them?.. if they go over 4GB..

A client has asked about wether they can view MXF files from the nano on some avid software on their laptop.. I,ve asked in a separate thread.. do you know about this at all?

Ordered and awaiting the delivery of remote cable .. !

Can I down load from a card reader ..via my MBP.. to a mac formatted ext HDD and a Windows formatted ext HDD at the same time.. using shotput pro..?

Thanks again..
Old November 12th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Another important difference I don't see mentioned (and I only skimmed so apologies if someone did already mention), is that FAT32 is not journalled, but NTFS is journalled.

Journalling theoretically makes NTFS more robust than FAT32 in the case of file corruption. In practice, using removable media, I'm not so sure that's a huge advantage (or makes any practical difference) but I'll always opt for NTFS because it can deal with files over the FAT32 2GB/4GB limit.

There's options available to Mac users for read/write NTFS - personally I use Tuxera on Lion.

Tuxera NTFS for Mac | Tuxera

Of course, most devices use FAT32 as a defacto standard, my Panasonic SD900 and Nagra LB included. It appears the Nagra extends it's own journalling system on top of the FAT32.

ZFS for all one day? ZFS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it reportedly almost replaced HFS+ as the default filesystem for Macs a few years ago.
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Probyn View Post
Hi Dan

1. Well talking generally .. but I would be using my nanoflash.. so I take my CF card from the nanoflash and down load to a FAT 32 formatted HDD.. everything will be ok.. is that because the nanoflash separates the files as it records them?.. if they go over 4GB..

2. A client has asked about wether they can view MXF files from the nano on some avid software on their laptop.. I,ve asked in a separate thread.. do you know about this at all?

3. Ordered and awaiting the delivery of remote cable .. !

4. Can I down load from a card reader ..via my MBP.. to a mac formatted ext HDD and a Windows formatted ext HDD at the same time.. using shotput pro..?

Thanks again..
Dear Robin,

I added numbers to your questions.

1. The nanoFlash automatically creates files that fit into the 4 GB limit, so there is no problem.
And we have tools to stitch them back together, if desired, but this is usually not required.

2. For Avid, for older versions, then can view 50 Mbps Long-GOP, and all I-Frame Only flavors.
For the newest vesions, all flavors are supported.

The Sony XDCam Clip Viewer, version 2.10 is a great viewer for our MXF Files.

3. Great.

4. I am sorry, I do not know. Others should be able to answer that question.
Old November 13th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Dan

Thanks as ever. is Avid ok with 35 Mbps Long GOP.. 1080/50i or 25p.

35Mbps HD would be better "quality" than SD .. shot on a 2/3 inch camera with exp glass.. ?

Thanks again
Old November 13th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Dear Robin,

This is the same as XDCam EX, so if your Avid supports EXCam Ex then our files will be supported.

Your second question is a subjective call.

The nanoFlash can record SDI (SD-SDI) using IMX-50, a very high quality SD format.

The nanoFlash can also record IMX-30 and IMX-40.

To answer your question:

I feel that, generally, one may be happier with HD at XDCam EX specs, 1920 x 1080, 4:2:0, 35 Mbps, Long-GOP, Variable Bit Rate as to recording SD with much lower resolution.

But, if the client wants SD, the client should get what he wants.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey