Nano Settings with HPX3100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 14th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nano Settings with HPX3100

Hey all,

I'm sure this is a rather dated topic, but I'm demo-ing a Panasonic HPX 3100. I presume that when recording 30p the nano should be set at 1080 59.94i (given the panasonic system is set to record 30p "over" 1080i). Is this correct? The nano images look correct with this setting, but I'm not sure if I should be setting to record progressive.

Thanks.

Eric
Eric Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Nano Settings with HPX3100

Why exactly would you want to use a nano with a camera that natively records 10-bit 4:2:2 @ 100mpbs? If you're implying that you want to use the nano to take the demo footage back with you to see how it looks/grades/etc. on your own system, then a much better solution would be to take a portable hard drive with you and simply dump the footage from the camera directly to the hard drive via the 'USB Host' function, assuming the demo unit is going to be tried with a P2 card installed.

This way you'll get the footage in its native 10-bit format, and it's going to be more representative of what you're going to get in terms of workflow and processing as well. Just make sure the drive is empty beforehand, because the camera is going to format it to it's own file system.

Edit: For your convenience, I've uploaded the manual for the 3100 to the following link, it may help to get familiar with the camera functions ahead of time: http://www.mediafire.com/?mao8iu561mhooas
Konstantin Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Nano Settings with HPX3100

Dear Eric,

If you set the Video|Record PSF to Prog(ressive) on the nanoFlash (check the box), then the camera, which is outputting 1080psf29.97, will be recorded as 1080p29.97.

1080psf29.97 looks like 1080i59.94, but it is actually Progressive Segmented Frames.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey