nanoFlash lost src error codes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 16th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #1
New Boot

nanoFlash lost src error codes

Hi,

does anyone have a description of the nanoflash "lost src" error codes, e.g. "lost src 40 E0" and the usual problems behind them for me please?

I encounter such errors using an IDX CW5-HD wireless video transmission system before my nanoflash in some situations. The same setup (devices and cables) does not show this behaviour without the transmission system.

So, ist it a "no video signal" message, a SDI transmission protocol problem etc.

Regards
Dieter
Dieter Piesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: nanoFlash lost src error codes

Dear Dieter,

The "Lost Src" error messages are "Lost Source", indicating that we have lost, even ever so briefly, the HD-SDI or SD-SDI input signal.

This can be caused by
a camera problem (very rare), (Except for the original Panasonic Varicam, the F model)
a bad cable,
a loose conenction,
or possibly in your case a cable that is not well shielded,
or a problem with the signal from the transmitter.

You could troubleshoot by feeding the HD-SDI signal to the nanoFlash first, then to the transmitter and see if the problem goes away.

Please check if you cables are True 75 Ohm with True 75 Ohm connectors. Premium, heavy duty cables with good shielding may help with this problem.

As I read your post, without the transmitter, you do not have this problem.
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Dieter,

Is it possible to put the Wireless Transmitter on the SDI out of the nanoFlash?

This may remedy the situation in the sense that we do not know what it may be doing to the live "pass through" signal, as well as the nanoFlash will improve signal quality for the transmitter when connected to the SDI out.

Hope that Helps
Andy Mangrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #4
New Boot

Dear Dan & Andy,

thank you for your suggestions.
As you have assumed, my cables are true 75Ohm and well shielded (bought as HD-SDI cables). I have tried the transmitter on the other side of the nanoflash and there are no problems, if I remove the transmitter.

In fact I use the nanoflash as a "trouble reporter": I run the setup for hours and let the nanoflash detect the problems. It tells me even a short event within hours. Otherwise I had to wait for a monitor flickering. I don't want to get such an error code at all.
Reason for that: I ran into mayor problems during a multicamera recording session in a lecture room with Wi-Fi and 200 people, where I had to transmit one camera and have a mixer and the nanoflash somewhere in a corner. It was almost a total loss of the camera being transmitted. So in fact I don't dare to use this expensive tool at the moment .. but I need it.

IDX tells me that they don't know about problems with the CW-5HD and Wi-Fi despite the fact that only one channel, the one I use, is not overlapping with Wi-Fi channels, all of them 5GHz.

I hoped to get hints to what is happening from the error codes: Is the error due to electrical noise, protocol error etc. Does it make sense to think about a SDI repeater after the IDX receiver etc.

I am afraid it's simple: the IDX receiver looses temporarily it's connection to the transmitter.

By the way:

What is the behaviour of the nanoflash in a "lost src" situation?
As I have learned in my "Medium too slow" thread, true black levels (<16) at the HDMI input are assumed to indicate such a loss of input signal as well, cause the nanoflash to decrease the bit rate and start recording a new clip. The behaviour at the SDI Input is a differnt one ..

How long does it take to resume recording? It would be nice to have any idea of the amount of footage I loose. The problem is that I don't know how long it takes for signal at the input to reappear

Thank you again for your kind help!
Regards
Dieter
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Dieter,

I highly recommend that your signal path be:

Camera
to
nanoFlash
to
Transmitter (If you are using it).

I will ask our support team to answer your other questions.
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Dieter,

When connected via SDI if a lost Source is encountered, once the nanoFlash detects a good SDI signal then it will start recording again, this can very dependent on what is going on, but typically if it is just a fliker, within a couple seconds the nanoFlash should relock a continue recording,since the nanoFlash will close the previous file and start a new record once a good signal is detected.

As for the HDMI Black >16 that is a software issue we are working on Fixing,

But again, It would be best to have the Transmitter after the nanoFlash since it would improve signal Quality for the Transmitter, as well as there would be no interruption of the record.

Hope that Helps
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7
New Boot

Hello Andy, hello Dan,

Of course you are right: the transmitter cannot be used in such a situation. I have to find another transmitter or hope for IDX to find a solution ...

Thank you again for your kind replies
Yours
Dieter
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Dieter,

Thank you for the update.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey