Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q Questions

Dear Friends,

I thought I would share some of the answers to questions about our Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q.

1. The Odyssey7 cannot be upgraded to the Odyssey7Q.

The only item that is the same in both units is the OLED panel.

It is not practical to keep the OLED panel and replace the circuit board and the case.

It just makes more sense if one purchases the Odyssey7 and then later wants an Odyssey7Q, to purchase the 7Q, then one has two monitors/recorders.

If one wants to record 2K or 4K from the Sony FS700, then the Odyssey7Q is required.

The same applies for Canon C500 4K Raw, ARRI ALEXA ARRIRAW, or if one wants to record from two or more video sources simultaneously.

The Odyssey7Q has more connectivity, and a much larger "logic space" so that we can put more features into the unit.

2. The Odyssey7Q started shipping at the end of October, 2013, the Odyssey7 is scheduled to start shipping in January, 2014.

3. I recommend the Odyssey7Q, over the Odyssey7, for most industry professionals, since it is upgradable by purchasing advanced options.

Of course, for monitoring only, or for recording HD only, the Odyssey7 works very well.

4. The firmware in the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q is field upgradable.

We will be adding more features over time.

The firmware upgrade process is easy and it takes less than 20 minutes.

5. Only Convergent Design SSD's can be used in our units.

Most other SSD's do not have built-in power protection, and this is very important as it is rather common for a battery to quit while on a shoot.

And there are many other reasons that other SSD's should not be used.

If power is lost on a shoot, we have built-in recovery tools.

6. Please refer to the following post for information on when various firmware features are scheduled to be ready.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...-shipping.html

7. How can I power the Odyssey7 or Odyssey7Q?

The Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q require 6.5 to 34 Volts DC, and is protected from reversed polarity and over-voltage (within reason).

If one has an Anton Bauer/IDX or other battery with an P-Tap (or D-Tap), one can purchase a P-Tap to Odyssey power cable.

If one has an ALEXA, we offer a RS (3-Pin) power cable that uses the 24 volt nominal power output of the ALEXA.

Or we offer a small 4-Cell Lithium-Ion battery that is lightweight and can be mounted on the back of the unit.

This battery is 45 Watt-Hours, thus gives approximately three hours of record time under the most demanding conditions (recording FS700 2K Raw, at 240 fps - 15 watts). And for less demanding conditions approximately four hours.

For just monitoring, or standby, this battery should provide 4 1/2 hours or more of power.

We will offer a Sony L-Series Battery Plate for the units starting early December. This is a small, lightweight battery plate that allows the common 7.2/7.4 volt Sony NP batteries to be used. Thus, a Sony NP-F970 battery or even a lower power Sony battery (L-Series) may be used.

Ocean Engineering offers a professional battery plate, for either Anton Bauer or IDX batteries.

NebTek also offers a nice battery plate system.

8. How do I mount the Odyssey7 or Odyssey7Q?

One can easily use a Noga Arm or similar device, as there are three 1/4 x 20 Threaded Holes in the units.
One on each side and one on the lower back.

The Odyssey's can be mounted upside down, if desired, as there is a feature to flip the monitor image (including the menu's).

Olof Ekbergh, of Westside AV, has designed a very versatile and sturdy mounting system for the Odyssey.

I will be happy to answer any other questions that you may have.

Respectfully,
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q Questions

Dan,

I would like to be able to use this recorder with the new Phantom Flex 4K. Here is the output option that the camera will put out.

REC1 Record output A (HD-SDI, 1.5/3G), sourced from video pipeline A or B. Can be coupled with REC2 to provide a 4k 422 output.
REC2 Record output A (HD-SDI, 1.5/3G), sourced from video pipeline B. Can be coupled with REC1 to provide a 4k 422 output.

I also believe the 4K flex will output 444 4K from these two ports by 2015.

Which Odyssey and which options will work?
Michael Carmine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey