4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ Announcement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 12th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ Announcement

Dear Friends,

Today, we formally announced that the Odyssey7Q will soon add 4K Apple ProRes HQ support.

Here is a link to the Industry News Thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...k-support.html

And here is a link to the main press release:

Odyssey7Q Adds 4K ProRes Recording at DV Info Net

I will be happy to answer any questions.

Our Booth at IBC is 10.A24, Building 10. Mitch Gross and Amber Cowles are there.

Respectfully,
Old September 14th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ Announcement

Thanks Dan. Fantastic news!

Will the firmware update allow one to record 4K ProRes from the Canon C500 without purchasing the RAW add-on?

Thanks.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Our current plan is to require our Canon C500 Raw Option.

To record 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ, from the C500, we have to take in 4K Raw, then deBayer it (and possibly perform other processing), then encode it in the 4K compressed codec.

For cameras that output 4K (video, not Raw), then we do not require an extra cost option.

Respectfully,
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Dan!
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #5
New Boot

there is not too much activity here in this forum but I'd expected to read the bad news also here:

Odyssey 7Q Firmware 2.11.110 - Page 19

Convergent Design has postponed the upcoming firmware update for the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q by a few weeks. Two weeks ago at IBC we showed 4K ProRes capture and this functionality is complete. But some additional features, while functioning, need to be completed in a reliable and user-friendly form for release. We expect to make this firmware update available by mid-October.​

--

I saw that coming but it's really disappointing as it is a basic feature which was announced from the beginning in NAB 2013 (!) I was hoping for recordable LUTs to shoot what you see with a "ready to edit" footage and not always have to go through sLOG grading. It seems there is no point in hoping for that feature in foreseeable future.
Clermond Ferrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Clermond,

I posted this announcement, in Post 21 of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...support-2.html

This is where we originally announced our 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ support, thus I thought that this would be an appropriate place to post this information.

Quote:
I saw that coming but it's really disappointing as it is a basic feature which was announced from the beginning in NAB 2013 (!) I was hoping for recordable LUTs to shoot what you see with a "ready to edit" footage and not always have to go through sLOG grading. It seems there is no point in hoping for that feature in foreseeable future.
Are you saying that we announced recording 4K Apple ProRes 422 at NAB 2013?

I do not remember announcing 4K Apple ProRes 422 at that time.

Or are you saying that we announced LUT support at NAB 2013?

We currently support a very wide variety of LUT's, for many cameras, S-Log, S-Log 2, S-Log 3, Log-C, and C-Log.

But, these are built-in LUT's for viewing only, not for recording.

And these are not user-loadable, custom LUT's, which we will support in a future firmware update.

I assume you are requesting that we support, soon, user-loadable, custom LUT's, and you want us to apply this LUT to the image prior to recording the images.

Do I understand your request correctly?

Respectfully,
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Dan, I understand that time lapse feature is still being worked on?

And did I remember correctly that that scopes are now on the 7Q with the latest firmware?
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

Our highest priority right now is to release 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ.

We also are working on other areas, provided that it does not interfere with Priority One.

Some of our team members are working to expand our Playback capabilities.

Others are working on a compressed RGB 4:4:4 codec.

We have other items that we are working on, or are in final test, for inclusion in this next firmware release.

But, we do not have Timelapse support ready yet, sorry.

Respectfully,
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
We currently support a very wide variety of LUT's, for many cameras, S-Log, S-Log 2, S-Log 3, Log-C, and C-Log.

But, these are built-in LUT's for viewing only, not for recording.

And these are not user-loadable, custom LUT's, which we will support in a future firmware update.

I assume you are requesting that we support, soon, user-loadable, custom LUT's, and you want us to apply this LUT to the image prior to recording the images.

Do I understand your request correctly?
I second that request. And I would note that while technically there a lut available (particularly for the fs700 which I am using), it is essentially useless and I absolutely cannot imagine anyone using it for any reason. I could give you any number of luts that might be useful in that built-in LUT spot but the one that's in there is by far the worst I have ever seen :)

Of course that is not all your fault since it's designed to show sony's rec709 800%, but I would be quite surprised to hear of any case in which someone found it useful to see what their footage would look like with a few stops of highlights clipped and lots of noise in the shadows emphasized after the lut causes them to underexpose their image significantly.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey