DNxHD - When is it coming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 1st, 2014, 04:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DNxHD - When is it coming?

Hello.
When the Odyssey came out - in many publications and many websites the option for recording DNxHD
was mentioned.
As of the last firmware update there is still no DNxHD recording option.
Besides it being a very good and efficient format, there is another reason why I think
many people like myself are waiting for this option.
I am shooting many interviews with DSLR's. as you know, most DSLR's break long recordings into multiple files. sometimes it's not an issue, but with interviews with two cameras (or more) it makes syncing the footage later much more labor intensive.
Shooting interviews with ProRes HQ in a bitrate of 220 Mb/s is a huge overkill - and results in massive data volumes.
Using codecs like ProRes LT or DNxHD 120 (which are almost like the native 95 Mb/s of the Canon 5D Mark III) seems more logical for these kind of projects.

Any word from Convergent Design regarding the incorporation of these "lighter" codecs???
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DNxHD - When is it coming?

Dear Arbel,

We also want to offer the other, lower bit-rate options for the Apple ProRes 422 HQ codec.

And we want to offer DNxHD.

As you are most likely aware, we finished our 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ project, which took a lot of our engineer's time.

I am sorry, but I can't, at this time, provide you with a date when these two project will be finished.

Respectfully,
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mid-Late 2015.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply.

I'll keep updating.

P.S - I just saw that the Odyssey 7q+ came out.
couldn't tell the exact features it has that the 7q doesn't.
can someone elaborate on this?
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Re: New Features in Odyssey7Q+

Dear Arbel,

The Odyssey7Q+ adds the ability to accept up to 1080p60 over HDMI,
whereas the Odyssey7Q supports up to 1080p30 over HDMI.

More importantly, the Odyssey7Q+ adds:

1. The ability to accept 4K (4096 x 2160) up to 24 frame per second (fps) over HDMI.

And

2. The ability to accept Ultra-HD/Quad HD (3840 x 2160) up to 30 fps over HDMI.

Please note that the Odyssey7Q fully supports HD, Ultra-HD, and 4K via SDI.

Until recently HDMI Receiver Chips that were designed to support 4K and UHD were not available.

And these new chips were not drop-in replacements for the HD HDMI receiver chips, so that a new board design was necessary.

Please note that we kept the two designs to be as similar as possible.

We will continue to fully support the Odyssey7, the Odyssey7Q and the Odyssey7Q+, with one code base.

We fully expect to release new firmware features at the same time, as we have done with every release so far for the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q.

Respectfully,
Old December 20th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Major Player

I just wish the Odyssey 7Q could record high frame rate RAW files in a format that can be natively imported into Final Cut Pro X. Right now it is a total bag of hurt.

Additionally, the clip merger program is not Mac user friendly at all.

BUT, I always enjoy the excellent support from Dan and CD, and always look forward to the next functionality addition.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

Final Cut Pro X does not natively support Raw files at this time.

The most recent version of Adobe Creative Cloud does support Raw files natively.

If you are using Final Cut Pro X, then the solution is to use Blackmagic Design Resolve Lite, or the full version.

With Resolve Lite, you can accept Raw files, including 2K, Ultra-HD (3840 x 2160) and 4K (4096 x 2160) files and render to video (not Raw) in HD, 2K, UHD, but rendering to 4K (4096 x 2160) is not supported in this free version.

The full (purchased) version of Resolve does support rendering to 4K.

-----------------------

It does take some time, or a mentor, or studying on-line to start using Resolve properly.

For the FS700/FS7 and the C500, for 4K or UHD, in frame rates up to 30 fps, you can record directly to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), which eliminates the necessity of working in Raw.

(Please note that working in Raw, for some applications is the best and proper solution, and avoiding Raw, recording to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) is great for others applications.)

For recording in 2K, the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+, provide support for up to 60 fps in Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Old February 3rd, 2016, 09:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It's now February 2016 and no DNxHD nor DNxHR. I'll give the benefit of the doubt before I consider this another "to be implemented" feature like HDMI TC trigger on the Nanoflash.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 06:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Jack,

I will attempt to get an update on when we expect to release DNxHD.

We have been working on this a long time. My preliminary answer is that we have to finish the "wrapper" for the DNxHD encoded images.

And we also have to create a program like our CD Apple ProRes Transfer Utility.

Respectfully,
Old March 17th, 2016, 03:14 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Is the difficulty in making a MXF file and choosing (or offering) flavors of MXF Atom or MXF OP1a?

Is it easier to offer a QuickTime wrapper at first and offering MXF down the line?
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Jack,

It is quicker for us to initial offer DNxHD in a ".MOV" wrapper.

Respectfully,
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:15 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Well, everyone's heard the news that Quicktime for Windows is now EOL.

I understand the difficulty to write MXF-OP1a, but what about just focusing on OP-Atom? The streams are separate files and would make Avid workflows way more efficient by only grabbing the audio channels you really need.

Blackmagic uses OP-Atom in their Hyperdeck recorders as of current.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:58 AM   #13
Trustee

is anyone out there really aware of just how many people are editing .MOV including all the the ProRes and DNxHD flavors on Windows that require Quicktime?

As Jack mentions with the demise of QuickTime support on Windows I pretty sure anything I edit that is not native XAVC will now be converted to VP5 (Cineform.avi) using FootageStudio4K. Surely this Windows QuickTime EOL must concern the likes of CD, Atomos and Video Devices etc, etc who having been making recorders that are primarily ProRes devices?

The reason I ask this is that the plans I had for the purchase of an Odyssey have now gone right to the back burner. Or am I missing something? Maybe Dan can throw more light on the subject. Dan what's your viewpoint going forward on the news of QuickTime's EOL on Windows? Another question for Dan. Now that Cineform is a SMPTE ratified format (VP5) would CD ever consider offering Cineform as an option?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 12:57 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Keep in mind in Premiere/Media Encoder CC 2015 the only native export of "GoPro Cineform" is in Quicktime...

And the entirety of the company is now owned by GoPro, so don't trust the official tools to be in the professionals' best interest. You can only trust native NLE hooks.

DNxHD and DNxHR seem to be the best path to go down moving forward for pure cross-platform forwards compatibility. Only Sony Vegas and Catalyst Edit seem to be left out for DNxHD production-ready reliability.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 06:46 AM   #15
Trustee

Cineform / GoPro say to keep asking Adobe for Cineform.avi. Earlier versions of Premiere had .avi. Whether this will ever happen who knows.
If you have Cineform.mov and you want .avi just re-wrap them through 'Another GUI.' Quick fast and painless batch conversion.

Further to QT on Windows. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has the future in mind when it comes to ProRes recorders and cameras. QUOTE:

"Conclusion

The seemingly small step for Apple to discontinue Quicktime for Windows could turn out to be a significant leap for the camera and filmmaking industry. Hopefully, the manufacturers will come up with—and provide—some solutions quickly. Red is a good example that others should, and will hopefully, follow.

For now, make sure to run an anti-virus scan on your Windows machine and think twice when handling Quicktime movies on Windows machines!"

https://www.cinema5d.com/end-of-life...out-to-vanish/

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Last edited by Christopher Young; April 23rd, 2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Adding to
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey