Feature Request: In-Odyssey Transcode function at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 1st, 2015, 10:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Feature Request: In-Odyssey Transcode function

Hello,

I have already made this request to Mr. Keaton, but wish to reinforce it on forum, as I feel, at least for me, that it is crucial to my workflow and at least 50% of the value (for me) with the Odyssey 7Q+.

Shooting RAW or DPX is the only way to use the slow motion function of the FS700, unless one is willing to record in 8-bit, which is a bit of a hit.

Also, shooting 60fps, the same.

In my limited resources and likely imperfect workflow, this is a show-stopper. I shoot stock, not to a script, and can eat up a lot of footage time very quickly.

I understand the Odyssey can't encode to ProResHQ faster than 30fps.

So why not create a function in the Odyssey by which the machine takes the RAIDed files and creates a ProRes file of the clip in the original resolution (HD, UHD, 4K). Then, the option to discard the RAID'ed originals (yes/no). This would save space in the field, and allow such as myself to get back into editing, rather than transferring files all day.

The analog of this function would be to, say, play the RAW file out of the Odyssey into another recorder. As it is, I have a PIX220, limited to HD, 30fps, which is another hit to the value of the Odyssey for me.

I hope this function comes to pass very soon.

Thanks!
Gene Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Feature Request: In-Odyssey Transcode function

Agreed!

Creating an in-unit 10bit transcode from raw material would be a very useful way of upping the quality of high speed material.

Raw is just a non-starter for the majority of my work. I shoot 8-bit high speed generally because of this but the 10bit 4k source material is SO much better it is indeed a shame to waste this potential.
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Major Player

While RAW rocks and I need to keep it that way, cinema dng files are a total bag of hurt for the Mac and OSX. Even the clip merger program is clearly written with a Windows interface. It's all just not Mac friendly.
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #4
New Boot

Sorry to hear that you have troubles. I would not want to insinuate that RAW ain't awesome...it is - but I would like please the option to transcode it to ProRes sometimes, as the workload is awful ... it would also be nice to have automatic synched proxies - otr a way to make them in-Odyssey.

In the meantime I feel enslaved to the RAW workload if I want better slowmo than AVCHD transcoded to ProRes. Never did like the artifacting in the FS700 slowmo, hence the financial jump to the Odyssey.

Hope you find resolution to your issues!
Gene Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Trustee

Gene
Recording the high speed playout from the 8bit HD of FS700 in ProRes does help a lot with low bit-rate artifacting. You just don't get that that zing of the raw sensor readout which is a shame.

I have however used the 8bit method quite a bit for broadcast and it stands up well and definately gives a good improvement!

For high end jobs though it would be nice to aquire in raw and convert in the 7q at the end of th day if this could be done !?

Mat
Old February 8th, 2015, 02:21 PM   #6
New Boot

True, but not 4K. Which to me, is a big deal. So this is more for the desire to record hi-speed 4K to ProRes. Unless I am missing something? I do like it when I find I just missed a memo....

It helped also to have the 120fps RAW>60fps 4K as then that could be speed ramped better (slower).
Gene Cornelius is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey